[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here been successful in losing a lot of weight? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: oXWlMI2.jpg (469 KB, 752x950) Image search: [Google]
oXWlMI2.jpg
469 KB, 752x950
Has anyone here been successful in losing a lot of weight? I'm trying to lose 40 lbs. Not putting this in /fit/, because not looking for advice on dieting, or bulking, that kind of thing. Just curious about the psychological side of it.

If you put on weight by lazing around and eating it would seem to reverse that you'd just move around more and eat less than you usually do, right? But how long until you're used to eating a certain amount of calories, like if you were consuming a daily 2200, would 1900 be too much of a decline?
>>
>>16986103
Move a lot and sweat.

Drink dat H20.
>>
I've bulked and cut for around 3 years. Losing weight is easy if you have a system and keep to it. In my case I count calories.
>>
No the decline you're describing probably wouldn't be a huge deal.

I gained about 70 pounds in two years because of a sedentary lifestyle and eating habits that are just shy of binge disorder.

When you first start out you'll feel hungry/food cravings all the time. It's natural and normal. Might stay that way forever, depends on you and your body. You body does have physiological reactions to losing fat that make you super hungry, but if you're like me, your eating problems are mostly psychological.

2200 to 1900 won't be too much of a decline, but you probably won't lose much either. If I ate 1900 kcal a day, I'd actually gain weight.
>>
>>16986122
I noticed in just the last 3 days, I lost 5 lbs, just by not shoving my face full of food even after I knew I was full, just because I liked the feeling of eating. I used to be 165 and in a year put on 35, but I didn't give a fuck about calories. I never counted them. I was probably eating up to at most 7,000 on some days.
>>
I lost 80 lbs over five months using a vlcd (very low calorie diet), basically eating nothing and drinking only water and nutrition shakes mixed with water and a chocolate-flavored powder. Wasn't exactly delicious but I got used to it after 2-3 weeks, and it was definitely not a healthy way to do it, had really low energy during that period, but it was a quick and lazy way to stop being a fatass. Took me almost five years to regain that weight, fat again now though. Thinking about doing it again.
>>
>>16986127
I'm looking for a lifelong goal here, not a crash diet, but a system I can get used to basically stop being a grotesque fatass. Is exercising and taking in less calories really the answer? It seems so fucking obvious it would be, but then there are lots of people who say it's not that easy.
>>
yeah I dropped sugary drinks, alcohol, and fast food all at the same time and lost 40lb in under two months without exercise
>>
>>16986137
What was your starting weight?
>>
>>16986133
Exercising is a healthy habit and a bonus to weight loss, but there's a saying that is pretty damn true, "Muscle is built at the gym, fat is burned in the kitchen". Cut out sugar and other unhealthy shit from your diet, count your calories and make sure to not eat too many a day, and you'll be thin within a couple of months even if you're just sitting on your ass browsing 4chan 12 hours a day. You'll become thin, but not exactly sexy. If you want to look tight and fit, you'll need to work out.

I'm not saying a crash diet is healthy, I clearly felt that it wasn't when I did it, but I still respect it for what it is, an easy way to get a good start on building healthy habits. It's a lot easier to motivate yourself to get a healthy lifestyle when you weigh 160 lbs instead of 240. That's why I'm considering revisiting it myself.
>>
>>16986103

i lost 10 pounds and been maintaining.

you will always be tired. even when you are full you will feel tired cuz your body is eating itself. it will take you about a year (give or take) to lose 40 pounds.

my advice? eat a bunch of fruits and veggies. people make dieting out to be this thing where you ahve to starve yourself. you really dont.

imagine a day where you eat
>an apple
>a plum
>a peach
>a banana with 4 strawberries (cut em up and mix em)
>aspargus with butter (1 tbsp)
>some carrots

thats less than 500 calories. its recommended that you eat about 1500 a day to lose weight. so this would leave you 1000 calories for a big protien based meal for dinner.

if you still dont feel full, simply eat asparagus or carrots for regular cravings, or strawberries/grapes for sugar cravings.

i also recommend considering having your big protien meal be in the morning.

why you ask? protien takes longer to digest than anything else. its the reason you feel full for so long after eating some good meat. for most meats a pound is worth about 806 calories (give or take, do the research on the meat).

if you wait til dinner, then you are going to waste that full feeling while you are asleep, forcing yourself to feel starved during hte day.

my best results were this:

>fruits up until lunch
>half a pound of meat at lunmch
>fruits and/or veg until later afternoon
>another half pound of meat
>fruits or veg until bed

its a very nicely balanced schedule, and will help you fall asleep at night, as having your body working hard to digest meat all night is often attributed to the inability to fall asleep.

good luck
>>
>>16986138
180. my weight dropped to dangerous levels after not having the hundreds of alcohol calories daily...I'm back up to a healthier 155 or so now. I'm a 6ft 1in male btw
>>
>>16986103
Play squash competitively 3 times a week. Gym once a week with altitude training. Eat whatever the fuck you want as long as your aren't just gorging McDonalds. Being to crave steak and salad. Go from 105kg to 85kg in a year. Fit as fuck can lunge for days. Borderline abs after being fat all of childhood. 6ft3, nearing ideal body, much more female interest. You can all do it anons. I feel fast as fuck.
>>
Yeah combined with my physically demanding construction job and running on a treadmill every day after work (all while still eating utter shit, TV dinners and family sized bags of chips in one sitting) I lost 65lbs over the course of a year.

I sleep better and I'm slightly happier. My problems didn't vanish but it's a little bit better.
>>
Weight loss is purely a numbers game op. Just figure out your daily calorie maintence level and eat at a 500 calorie deficit. Use my fitness pal to be efficient and track shit. It's easy as fuck honestly.

Source: lost 25kg in 5 months with minimal effort and no exercise.
>>
>>16986103
Any cut, even 300 calories, is going to be difficult. You're going to be hungry sometimes. You're going to fail sometimes.

I started my loss at 6'1" and 307 pounds. I fought my way down to 235 pounds with cardio and diet, still didn't like how I looked, and started lifting. When I weighed in on Wednesday I was at 260 and around 12-15% body fat. My maintenance is close to 2900 calories a day.

Eat more often, eat more protein, build muscle so your metabolism is higher, and put in the effort on cardio. Calories out is so much easier than calories in, psychologically.
>>
>>16986142
>Muscle is built at the gym, fat is burned in the kitchen

No. The only possible argument you might be able to make here revolves around the energy required to break down protein, but I'm pretty sure OP isn't looking for a diet thats factoring in digestive effort and trying to mitigate the effects of glycogenesis.

Its calories in vs calories out. A pound of fat is 3500 calories. 3500 calories of quinoa is going to put that pound on your ass the same as 3500 calories of frosting. Count your calories, do work, and increase your metabolism so your life is easier.
>>
>But how long until you're used to eating a certain amount of calories
However long it takes you to figure out the right balance of calories, macronutrients and plain old "things in my stomach" to keep you from being miserable.

If you eat the same way you do today but just consume 10% less of it, you've only handled one of those factors (calories). However your body is now getting less of whatever you find particularly satisfying. Most people get the sense of fullness from fats. Personally I'm all about the protein; I don't get full and stay full unless I stuff like 40-50 grams of protein into my facehole. Whatever it is for you, unless you eat a sufficient amount of that (and cutting back on the others instead to reduce calories) you're just going to feel unsatisfied all day.

There's also the question of eating enough mass to appease your gut. You could distill thousands of calories down to a tiny biscuit and nibble on that all day. Even if it has enough calories and even if it has enough of fat/protein/carb that you crave, it doesn't have enough bulk. Your stomach will still groan and ache. People get around this different ways like drinking lots of water, eating tons of leafy greens or just plain looking for the most mass they can sneak in under their calorie limits.

It's a ballet between at least all three of those factors. Then you've got other complications like spikes and troughs in your blood sugar levels throughout the day. Those sorts of things tend to ease over time on their own but might require attention in your case.
>>
Keto. Hflc diet. 20g of carbs MAX a day. Stick to it for a month, guarantee you will lose a substantial amount of weight without exercise and want to keep eating that way. Red. Dit. Slash keto
>>
>>16986103

I wouldnt focus too much on weighing your food. Thats next level shit. I would keep it simple, and try and stay consistent.

40 pounds isn't that hard to lose. If you just want information on the mental side its really simple. Getting on your active gear, and driving to the gym or trails is harder than the act of working out itself. You have to literally be cruel, depressive and forceful on yourself to get out and start working out. After two to three weeks it will become much easier. Within a couple months it will be pretty regiment.

You have to make a definitive schedule. There is no doing it when 'you feel like it'. It has to be 4 days a week. Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun repeat. Pick a time that works for your work or school schedule. Make it the same time for that day all the time. Set a 20 minute before workout alarm. Have your stuff already ready. You want to eliminate as much thought and prep before a workout. You want that shit already ready and taken care of the day before in a duffel bag ready to go. You just hear the alarm...get dressed...splash water on your face...geab thw duffel bag and head out for 20 minutes to an hour and come home to shower and have a regenerative meal.

Thats all you need for the mental side.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.