[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I hate my major and don't know what to do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: -1629545370.jpg (72 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
-1629545370.jpg
72 KB, 640x640
>be me
>broadcast journalism major
>final year at University
>my school sucks and demands you take pointless classes first so only now am I actually doing shit on level with what I'd be doing in my career
>only now do I get a clear picture that I fucking hate this and never want this as a job
>on top of this I genuinely suck at it (maybe partly because I don't want to do it)
>because it's a journalism major, the skill set isn't really transferable to many other jobs (though I enjoy magazine writing, so that may be my only out)
>I'll be leaving college in massive debt and potentially no real job

What the fuck do I do? I don't want to be miserable after college barely making student loan payments and living paycheck to paycheck. I'm not asking for some secret way to become rich, I don't expect to live in a big house or anything. I just don't know what to do. Should I find a trade? Should I just go back to school and go even farther into debt but get a better career?

Please help me
>>
>>16982451
There's no aspect of broadcast journalism that interests you? Like directing, or writing, or something technical like editing or camera work?
>>
File: 1868304052.jpg (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1868304052.jpg
57 KB, 500x500
>>16982468
I love to write. Right now I work for a small gaming website writing up articles if I get some free time. Working for a place like IGN or GameSpot or writing for men's health would be my dream jobs, but I imagine the possibility of that to be pretty small. Making videos is enjoyable too, but, at least according to my main professor I'm god awful at it. I might be letting this professor get to me a bit because he harasses me constantly and tell a me I'll never find work, but all the same. I think I like to write and make videos about stuff I like, but standard news beats feel dreadful to me. I guess I'm asking for advice on work prospects (if any) for a person with a broadcast journo degree outside of broadcast journalism
>>
>>16982451
If you hate it so much, why not change majors?
>>
File: giphy.gif (863 KB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
863 KB, 500x324
And sorry for the typos. I'm doing this on my phone while walking through Walmart
>>
File: 1459465380168-346837215.jpg (279 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1459465380168-346837215.jpg
279 KB, 1600x1200
>>16982497
As I said in the OP, I'm currently in my final year. I actually did try to switch majors, but I'm so close to finishing (literally three classes away) that it makes no sense to and I'm already swimming in debt. Though I am the one paying my debts off, my student loans are under my moms name, and so when I talked about switching majors, she told me she wouldn't allow it and would pull funding if I tried. Gotta love mom's tough love.
>>
Hello. I don't have any really profound advice for you other than to try to find a semi-related job. Keep in mind that many places mostly just want you to have a degree in something to show that you're educated and have half a brain. So an unrelated degree like this could get you a job in human resources, working at a rehab, office, as a paralegal maybe, or a clerical job. Some of those offer good pay and excellent retirement packages/benefits. There's also the option of building a portfolio of sorts for yourself for whatever job you want to do by getting related experience and being self-employed. All you have to do is convince your clients you can do the job and they will hire you, being self-taught is good enough.

I am hoping that since you're a journalism major you can offer me advice as well. i am 21 and re-applying to (a different) school after withdrawing from my first semester (no grades recorded).

this is a very rough draft of my essay- i have only skimmed over it, but the gist of it is there. what do you think about the bones of it, the general ideas and flow? much of the wording will be re-done. my main worry is submitting something that sounds like a boring, trite, "telling you what you want to hear" essay.

the prompt is: - Provide reasons for your transfer and describe what objectives you hope to accomplish in 250-600 words

When I was as a toddler I questioned my surroundings incessantly. My grandmother still talks about it today. Whichever adult was nearest me got an earful of “how does this work?” “why is that there?” “what does it do?”. I remember being three and questioning everything from the innards of the television set to why it was necessary for my uncle’s graduation ceremony to last two hours “why don’t they just hand you the paper and then you go home?”. I’d eventually reach a wall, a point where the adult would say “I don’t know” or stop answering out of frustration.
>>
>>16983250

cont.

When I was eight, I received a microscope for Christmas. I promptly began taking samples of everything in the house, blanket fibers, my hair, my cat’s hair, dust from the floor. Then I moved on to dirt- from the front and back yards of my home, my mother’s workplace, and school, looking for differences in the samples. The dirt at my mother’s work had little chips of silver in them that I later learned were micah.
I wanted to know everything. In an attempt to learn everything, I started reading non-fiction in middle school. Everything from a book on Einstein’s brain differed anatomically from other brains to a paperback on the Loch Ness monster. I was severely disappointed to learn that ‘Nessie’ likely didn’t exist. By 8th grade I’d read over 1,200 books. While I still want to learn everything, I’ve accepted the futility of trying and directed my attention to just a couple areas of study.
I took neurophysiology and pharmacokinetics in high school, both of which are easily the most interesting courses I’ve taken to date. I loved the material, so I figured I’d like to be a pharmacist and declared ‘pre-pharm’. A couple weeks into the semester, I’d asked a couple professors about what it’s like to be a pharmacist. Their responses were horribly underwhelming. I realized I wouldn’t be using most of the information I’d learned in school, mostly just filling orders and doing paperwork. That information compounded with how much I enjoyed my part time job in the school cafeteria led me to reconsider my path. There were so many options I hadn’t explored. I loved cooking and it seemed that being a pharmacist wasn’t going to suit me. I elected to take time off to be really sure about a major before I found myself 25+ credits into a degree I had no desire to use.
>>
last bit
>>16983251

The past three years have been wonderful, with lots of exploration and new experiences. I’ve managed a kitchen, coached clients in fitness and life improvement, done housekeeping, painting, animal care, construction, and landscaping. While it’s satisfying to complete a physical, tangible task, I’ve felt my work has lacked a greater purpose and meaning. I’ve identified the following requirements for my career: to feel that I’m doing something significant, to help others, to have some aspect of my work be intellectual or academic, to use my knowledge to make decisions, to have the option to work alone or with a team, to make enough money to not have to worry, and to have the final say in what I do. Given those stipulations, the first thing to come to mind was becoming an M.D. After speaking to a few doctors, one physicians assistant, and hours of reading about the profession, I’m reasonably certain this is what I’d like to do. I’m looking forward to getting started!
>>
>>16982451
I need to know who's ass that is so I can find more of it.

I'm doing a research paper.
>>
File: 1454082468218.jpg (78 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1454082468218.jpg
78 KB, 500x750
>>16983250
Hey man that's not half bad advice thank you!

For your essay:
A good essay always gets to the point first, then backs it up. Start by bluntly answering the question. Your format should look something like this.

Opening paragraph: Attention grabbing first sentence. Say why you're transferring and explain what that reason means. (If you have more than one reason, find something that unites all or most of those reasons, if something doesn't fit, just cut it.) The last sentence lists your objectives. (...And I plan to become a leader, improve my writing, and leave the campus better than when I came.)

The second paragraph backs up your first objective, listing how you plan to achieve it and why it is important. Try to connect this to your reason for attending the university.

Do the same thing for paragraphs two and three and the respective objectives.

The final paragraph restates your objectives and your reason for coming, and gives a final, strong statement to accept you. (...with this in mind, so-and-so university is the perfect place for me to "objective 1, objective 2, and objective 3. I look forward to joining so-and-so university)

Overall your reasons are yours, but just some tips that were nailed into my head by my professors:

1: >my main worry is submitting something that sounds like a boring, trite, "telling you what you want to hear" essay.
Don't worry about that, you are writing to them, not yourself. Make it something they'll like.

2: Look up how to make sentences pop with alliteration. Notice in my examples I use the same tense with the same basic structure. "Open the cupboard, find the cup, close the door." See how it all uses a verb, the a noun? Try to use that when bringing up your experiences. Hope that helps!
>>
>>16983403
thank you!
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.