[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best way to find a job?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1399702220053.png (18 KB, 262x326) Image search: [Google]
1399702220053.png
18 KB, 262x326
Ill cut to the chase: I need a job. Desperately.

I have about 2 years of retail experience, know how to work a register, handling cash, you know the typical stuff employers are looking for. While I understand many employers will reject me, ALOT are rejecting me, even some I gotten interviews in the past before, and it makes absolutely no sense.

For example, I got an interview from Best Buy a couple of months ago, but I was denied the job because the interview accused me of not being very interested in technology, despite telling him multiple times my hobby (and what I would like to do for a living) is fixing computers. A good friend of mine has been told the EXACT same thing from the same person when he got an interview as well. Turns out he's a dumb fuck, he's not there anymore, and a manager I worked with in the past works there now. Told me to apply, I applied for 2 different positions and I was rejected. What the fuck.

I don't know if it was my resume, my work experience, or those god-fucking-forsaken assessment questions, but I really, really need help. How do I increase my chances of getting a call back from these places I apply at? What advice can you give me on those assessment questions? Ill post my resume on next post, dont feel comfortable having my resume shown easily on the catalog.
>>
File: Capture.png (43 KB, 509x592) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
43 KB, 509x592
>>
>>16981662
How many application did you submited? The job market is very tight right now, so it's not unusual to have to sent around more than 200 a month to have a chance. You also have to be very mobile and ready to drive one hour every morning, and not only apply to firms in a close radius.

It's very hard to know what's wrong if you don't have a lot of data. At the first look, your resume is okay so you might do blunder on the interview. Are you dressing well? Are you able to talk about yourself and emphaze your qualities?

Anyway, don't give up and send more application. One will get through, it's statistical.
Source :Me, hiring manager
>>
>>16981684
13+. I right down who I sent apps to, that way when I am done with as many apps as I can possibly send, Ill give them a call. Plus I am still applying to alot of places so the number will be bigger.

I do not have a car so I have to apply to places that are like within a 5 mile radius, although recently my friends assured me that if I need a ride they're more than happy to do so until my car is fixed so there is that.

As far as dressing for interviews, I would put on somethings that's a little above casual. Nothing over the top like tuxedos but something like nice looking jeans and a collared shirt. Gray or black collared shirt.
>>
>>16981662
I don't get it. I have one of the shittiest resumes ever (I spent 4 years as a NEET and dropped out of college) but I've gotten calls back on 80% of my applications and gotten interviews with most of them, and job offers from most of the interviews. I basically just get a job with no effort every time I need one.

Maybe you're overqualified? Most people who graduate college with a 3.8 GPA don't go into fucking retail. No one wants to do retail. They probably assume you're just looking for a filler job on your way to start your real career.
>>
>>16981719
>As far as dressing for interviews, I would put on somethings that's a little above casual. Nothing over the top like tuxedos but something like nice looking jeans and a collared shirt. Gray or black collared shirt.
That is probably a good outfit if you are applying to a place where you'll be allowed to wear jeans.

You may know this already but in case someone else is lurking: the rule of thumb I've always heard is, figure out how you would be dressing day-to-day at the job and then make your interview outfit slightly dressier or more business-y. So if you're applying for a job where you're wearing jeans/sneakers/any old shirt/company shirt, then wear a collared shirt, slim- or regular-fit jeans that show no signs of wear (or just dockers), and shoes that are comfy but less casual than sneakers, like loafers or desert boots. If it's a business casual polo-shirt-and-jean kind of place, then a button-down shirt, dockers, and a loafer or possibly oxford.

>13+
Unfortunately it's not unusual to put out 20 applications and not get an offer.

>I have to apply to places that are like within a 5 mile radius
Then your next best option is to keep calling back the places you applied to. If you apply and don't hear back, give it a week and call them. If they say "nope sorry not at this time" then note down the date and then call them back in a month to see if anything's opened up. Don't nag them, but keep your resume toward the top of the pile by checking every month or so. Only thing is, if you were way underqualified to start with, their answer will probably always be no. But if you were qualified and they just picked someone else, you never know, they may have added a position or that person might not have worked out.
>>
>>16981662
Best Buy is for shit.

Have you never heard of their terrible reputation?

Sad that you got rejected because all I ever see working there are basketball Americans who can't even spell technology.
>>
>>16981800

Employers aren't looking for ambitious people.

They are looking for people smart enough to do the job, but not smart enough to find something better.
>>
>>16981719
Honestly, the 5 miles radius will be a pretty big problem, cause you won't be able to send as many apps as you need to. Try tracking down every single compagny where there may be a job to take and send apps like no tomorrow.
As I said, it's not unusual to send a hundred app before having a chance. It does not mean your resume is shit.

For dressing : like another anon said,try to dress business casual. Collared shirt are a non,no, bring a real shirt. And drop the jean too, at least put a good pants. You don't have to go all the way with bow and necktie but show that you care about the job and look like you really want it.

Good luck anon, you will find.
>>
>>16981973
>>16981861
>>16981684

Thanks everyone for the replies. Ill be back to discuss more, ill be eating right quick.
>>
>>16981800
Over-qualified? You're giving me too much credit, though my work ethics isn't terrible either. I just want to go in, do what I got to do, keep to myself/not get mixed in some stupid drama, and go home.

>>16981867
At least I heard the discounts aren't all that bad. I remember hearing about a program where you get HUGE discounts on games and gaming accessories. Friend I know claims he barely paid triple digits on his Astros, but I don't know if that's true or not.

>>16981973
Honestly, if I have to, I will probably have to buy a bike. But I doubt it'll come to that. About a month ago I bought a car that only has a oil leak, everything else runs fine, for 800. All my cousin has to do is replace the rear main seal, and itll can be up and running. So I can travel places but I rather I get something within 5 miles and have it fixed before I start looking outside 5 miles.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.