[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My grandparents used to have an amazing house on 2 acres of land
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (463 KB, 1200x803) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
463 KB, 1200x803
My grandparents used to have an amazing house on 2 acres of land right on the water in pic related, Ft. Walton Beach, FL. My whole childhood and up through my early 20s, summer trips to my grandparents' place were amazing. I loved my grandparents deeply, and always loved this place.

Sadly, my grandfather passed away, my grandma is disabled now and is in a home, and my greedy uncle/aunt forced us to sell the property instead of keeping it in the family so they could have the cold hard cash. The last time I saw it, I was delivering my grandfather's eulogy and we were dumping his ashes in the water.

It's across the country, so not easy for me to travel to, but I frequently see commercials for it, and it makes me super nostalgic and sad I can't replicate that experience. I want to go back to all of my favorite places that I used to hang out, but I'm afraid that there's nothing left there for me.

Should I try to visit? If not, how do I accept that I'll never have it back? It's crushing.
>>
>>16980136
go easier on your uncle/aunt, instead of calling them greedy bastards look at this from their perspective, its not some magical place from their childhood but rather a liability, a building they have to take care of but never use.
>>
something isn't beautiful because it lasts.

the fact that visiting it will be different is what makes the trip such a good idea. at the very least you'll have a sappy nostalgic trip where the beauty of it all is remembering what happened before.

its like visiting a childhood home. its not really 'fun' its a weirdly emotional experience that is sad yet somehow positive. its beautiful.

so go and say goodbye to the land.

and dont call your aunt and uncle greedy for selling property they have no use for, and dont call them greedy for not holding on to it and being forced to maintain it or not making any money off of it just cuz you had good memories about it. thats selfish of u
>>
>>16980147
hes right, it was a property that someone had to pay property taxes/utilities for even though its not in use, slowly deteriorating for not being maintained and possible fines for not keeping up with municipal bylaws like keeping the lawn mowed.
>>
>>16980165

and even if they wanted to give it to some other family to deal with, they are just handing away a lot of cash that someone clearly wanted them to have.
>>
>>16980147
>>16980154

My aunt and uncle wouldn't have had anything to do with its upkeep. They never have. They barely ever bothered to visit (by the way, when I talk about my aunt and uncle, that aunt married into the family and was a big voice in pushing that we sell it). My dad, myself, and my other uncle and I would have gladly maintained it. Our original plan was going to be to lease the house so we could at least keep the property in the family.

I call them greedy because they came in with the whole of their family with 2-3 empty suitcases EACH to start to loot the house for resellable items before my grandfather was even cremated, and before my grandma was even sure if she was going to move out (before she became disabled and had to go to the home). Literally every question was "how much is this worth?" Not a single question about what it meant to the family.

What'd they do with the money from their third of the property sale? Nothing to improve their family as a whole - two new $50k sports cars and a vacation to Turks & Caicos.

>>16980154
Thanks for the thoughts on the trip.
>>
>>16980187

ah so its a joint property that all three of you own? im not sure if thats a thing, or whatever.
>>
>>16980196

Yes, it would have been when my grandmother passed, split between the three children in the family (my dad and two uncles) to be managed by the executor of the estate, with joint good faith, basically.

The uncle and aunt bitched and complained about how they had no money and were struggling just to eat and pay bills, so we needed to sell the house for cash in hand ASAP. They have not been particularly shy that their retirement plans are wholly contingent on the money they stand to inherit when my grandmother dies.

I shouldn't blame my uncle as much because he's just a pawn here - he has a learning impediment. This aunt has always been shady, though. It seems that she's with him for the money in the family, and we suspect she stole my mom's wedding ring shortly after she married my dad.

Hella derailed my own thread, haha.
>>
>>16980237

bummer, but you were never in line to inherit and if the other two agreed to sell then that is all there really is to it.

either way, you arent losing anything. it was never yours, and those memories are long gone. you are expecting not only them but the toher two to give up the property to, when selling it will benefit them more than keeping it in the family really would (whether they believe that or not).

go ask to do one last visit and have fun. memory lane is nice. i cant do that so much cuz all my old homes were on military bases or islands way off in the pacific that cost 1500 just to fly to
>>
>>16980252

I would have likely been in line to inherit as the oldest of the next generation, actually. My dad and other uncle are also pissed we had to sell it.

Anyways, thanks again for the advice, I'm probably stepping off to bed.
>>
>>16980273

>i would ahve been in line to inherit something from 3 different lines of family

no. thats not how inheritence works. otherwise only one of them would have inherited it.

it is also not their job to maintain something because you want it. whats the point? by your logic they should just hand it to you now.

get over this anon
>>
>>16980294

It's as simple as this, anon - my grandfather expressed wishes for me to eventually have it, as the oldest male grandchild. My uncle and father both agreed with this, and wanted to keep the house or at least the land in the family. 2 acres of waterfront property rarely LOSES value, and the cost of upkeep, even if we didn't rent the house to anyone, really only would cost a couple hundred bucks a year, to clean up the property landscaping taxes are a thing, yes, but my uncle and dad could afford it, especially if I pitched in. Between the family, this should be a drop in the bucket, and if we rented the house, this is even less of a problem, and probably wouldn't cost us a dime.

Family legacy means something to some people. The fact that half of my grandfather's shit went to pawn shops or eBay just infuriates me, alongside the house.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.