[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need Help with new pc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot_1.png (1 MB, 808x887) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
1 MB, 808x887
Im needing a new pc for gaming i have 2 ( Pre Built PC's in mind, I don't want to build it myself just dont want to go through the stress etc, the 2 pc's i have in mind one has a GTX 950 and another has a GTX 960, ill post specs & prices for both pc's

GTX 950 - $1,200 AUD ( Australian Dollars )

Processor : Intel Core i5-6400 (2.7ghz)
Motherboard : MSI B150M Bazooka LGA 1151
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 950 2GB GDDR5
Memory: 8gb 2400mhz DDR4
SSD: 240GB Crucial BX200 Sata III
HDD: 1TB 7200 rpm high speed SATA III
Optical Drive: None
Case: ThermalTake n21 Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: ThermalTake 600w+PSU
USB 3.0 Etc Etc
Im kinda digging between the 950 and 960, the 950 has more SSD space etc

960 - $1250 AUD ( Australian Dollars )

Processor: Intel Core i5-6400 (2.7ghz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B150M-D3H LGA 1151
Graphics:Gigabyte GeForceGTX 960 2GB GDDR5
Memory: 8gb 2400mhz DDR4
SSD: 120gb OCZ Trion SSD Sata III
HDD: 1TB 7200rpm High speed SATA III
Optical Drive : None
Case: ThermalTake Versa N23 ATX Mid Tower
PowerSupply: ThermalTake 600w 80+PSU
USB 3.0 etc etc

My friends think i should get the 960 but im not sure im asking for suggestions im kinda thinking 960 more then 950 so if i was to get the 960 what should i upgrade first? or if i was getting the 950 what should i upgrade? any suggestions are greatful thank you.

PS I already have all my peripherals, 2 monitors, keyboard, mouse, mousepad, monitor stand, everything, the pic provided is a picture of the $1250 computer.
>>
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 234x202) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9 KB, 234x202
build it yourself.
>>
>>16979257
If you already know the specs you want, you should seriously reconsider building your own. It's pretty damn easy nowadays, to the point that I'd say most people can do it with no problem (if your fear is frying a part, it's as simple as touching metal [such as the case] every once in a while to avoid that).

As for a comparison of the PCs if you ignore my earlier advice, both are fine. Don't bother upgrading the CPU if it's a gaming pc, i5's are fine for that. If you're satisfied with the graphics card after playing games consider getting a bigger SSD, being able to store more on it means more stuff you can quickly load.
>>
Building a pc isn't stressful unless your choice of case sucks, making cable management a bitch.

Building pcs is fun and if someone handed me cash to do it for them I would build a pc any day. I highly recommend doing some research into different parts and checking out benchmarks and reviews before buying a prebuilt. You might just end up wanting to customize the whole thing yourself.
>>
>>16979257
Yeah. Build it on your own bro, it's the best feeling. I think newegg has some sort of tutorial video for a first timer. the only "dangerous part" is not fucking up putting the CPU in. But just pay attention to the arrows and you'll be fine.

Is this for gaming or something else?
>>
>>16979257

I could build 2 computers with your budget, you are wasting a lot of money. Dude I would even be willing to Skype or email with you if you want, seeing people spend money on shit like this drives me insane.

First point I would make is that if you spend $1,200 dollars on a gaming computer and end up with a gimped out little piece of shit gtx 950 you might as well play on a calculator and burn $1,195 in a barrel.
>>
stop browsing 4chan

and get a ps4
>>
>>16980236

Was going to tell this filthy casual to speak when spoken to, but seeing as you are willing to pay that much money for what would essentially be a very mid range, borderline low range gaming computer, he is probably right.
>>
>>16980246
choice of hardware has very little to do with whether one is casual imo

there are 30 year old dudes on XBO rainbow six siege who are hardcore as fuck about how they play

meanwhile /v/ is a cesspool of """pc gamers""" who spend all fucking day posting sadfrog edits and sit on enormous libraries of games they've mostly never even installed

this whole narrative about casualness being directly tied to how anal you are about framerates needs to die already

league/dota take 2000 hours before you're even slightly good and people on this site call it casual

how do you take that seriously
>>
>>16980256
Firstly, I was mostly joking, but seeing as you raised some real points I will give you a real answer.

In short, I mostly agree with you.

In general though, I do go off what I see in my own life. I am sure those Rainbow Six Siege guys exist, but they sure don't make up the majority. Most console users buy the new Call of Duty and the new Assassin's Creed, or the Witcher 3 even though they have no idea what the fuck the Witcher is. That is the average console gamer. And that is fine, that is the majority of the people I know who play games, and I don't look down on them for it, they are my friends.

The point is, the only time I really have a proper conversation with someone about games (whether it is game design, a specific tactic in a game, how a new game did something really interesting with its features) I am talking to a PC gamer. That is the sort of thing I count as 'hardcore' (not that I actually ever even use the term. Really I would just call it someone who takes games seriously). Taking games seriously or being a 'proper' gamer does not in my eyes have anything to do with how much you yell while you play or even how good you are at a particular game to be honest. It is how much games are a part of your life. But that is just me.

The whole PC masterrace vs casual thing? Honestly it is just funny, because deep down, to an extent, I do believe it to be true. Not to the extent that the whole argument goes to, but as I already said, most console gamers are derpers who play like 3 franchises. And that is fine, gaming is for everyone. But just as I would not take advice from a guy who gets around on a BMX with training wheels on how to improve my driving, I typically don't take much from them seriously in a discussion about the finer points in games.

And just as a parting comment, if you do intend to play a lot of games and care about performance, PC is kind of a must. Some people are fine with in the middle though, and I get that.
>>
>>16979257
Better idea, go to /g/ or /v/ and post your current build and budget, ask for them to post a better build within the same budget, and then post this question again. Then when someone gives a realistic answer here, you can make a decision
>>
>>16980334
Sorry for the nonsense in the middle, I'm about to pass out.
>>
>>16980334
I live in Australia and I gave him a realistic answer. To make it more clear:

1. If you are buying brand new parts in Australia, either money is not a problem or you are inexperienced/stupid/lazy. The secondhand market is extremely trustworthy.

2. If you are buying a $1k+ computer with the intent of gaming, a 950 is pathetic and a 960 is meh.

3. I even offered to correspond with him further to give give him some solid advice outside the shitty capabilities of 4chan
>>
>>>/g/
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.