[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Compulsive Liars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: kobe.gif (2 MB, 340x191) Image search: [Google]
kobe.gif
2 MB, 340x191
Is there any way to deal with them?

Even when caught in the lie, they still deny deny deny, and pretend they're right, you're wrong, and can't possibly see it any other way.

This guy I made a bet with, swears to god, and his first born child that I was unable to collect my twenty dollars from the bet he lost, so he confirmed with me to put it in my house screen door, and that I got it.

That never happened, never contacted about my money, never recieved my money, never would've directed the man to leave it in my screen door that doesn't shut, when it's a further distance for him to travel there, when he could easily stop by my work to hand deliver the money if it so had to be during my working hours.

Basically, I'm out 20 bucks, and a friend.
>>
you're gone deal with people like that your whole life

If anybody ever asks you to loan them money just say you're broke.
>>
>>16969563
It wasn't a loan, it was a bet. A yearly bet we regularly make on the super bowl that I'd lost the last few years in a row, and this was the one time I'd won and he was supposed to pay up.
>>
>>16969553
>I'm out 20 bucks, and a friend.
$20 is fuck all to learn who your friends are, I'd spend £100 to get rid of each fake friend that I have ever had.

Your issue isn't one with compulsive liars, as you haven't said he has a record of doing what he did, he is a debtor.
THINGS YOU CAN LEARN FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE
Don't make bets/loan money to cheap people (those who don't buy their round of drinks, those who can't keep on top of their own finances)
Don't make bets with people who don't pay out when they lose
Don't make bets with people who make bets but can't afford to pay out
And most importantly:
Don't forgive debts, in 6 months or a year he will be back, he will maintain that his version of events happened and you will think "well it was only $20", then it will happen again.
The only reason you should ever talk to him again is because he is paying you back, even after that I wouldn't ever get into ANY financial involvement with him.

Sources: I learned the hard way.
>>
Avoid them at all costs.
There will be times when it's very hard or impossible to avoid.
>>
>>16970912
>Avoid them at all costs.

This. They frequently lie, distort the truth, break promises, take favors from you for granted. If OP can't avoid them, he should at least remain wary of them and never let his guard down. They tend to worm their way into your life if they think they can advantage of you.
>>
>>16969553
Well it looks like OP has gotten some good advice, so if its cool I'm going to just piggy back off of this topic of collections, and cheap people in general. Basically about two months ago friend of mine did me a favor, and built a computer for me. Which I was pretty sure was generally accepted between us as something a pal does for a pal. Anyways over the course of this time he has borrowed money from me on several occasions, but each time tries to weasel out of it saying "Oh X store would charge you $90 for building that computer so I technically don't owe you anything." Usually I stand firm and insist that I get my money, which usually results in me only getting a portion of it.

I've been doing this song and dance for a while, and once again he has found himself in my debt, and is trying to get away with paying me half of what he owes. Anyone have any suggestions on how to confront this without flat out calling him an asshole and telling him to pay me?
>>
>>16971889

Uh, stop lending him money?
>>
>>16971903
Well thats a given, I mean as far as me getting the full amount im currently owed without having to make this an issue
>>
>>16971912

Short of going loan shark and breaking his legs? Nothing. Or anything, depends on his personality. But I'd say it might be time to get a new friend.
>>
>>16971912

Basically, you can make attempts until you get some restitution, but you should write him and what you are owed at a loss. Never loan out money you can't afford to lose.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.