[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I switch to another language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 284x178) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 284x178
I've been learning Spanish for half a year now. I've been learning at a much faster pace that I expected, but now I am thinking about switching to another language.

The story is this. I've always wanted to learn a new language but I didn't have the opportunity to do so during secondary school. Back then, I would have probably picked French, German, or Japanese. During high school, I met an online friend who happens to be Spanish and we ended up talking every day. At uni, I had the opportunity to pick whatever I want as a new language for fun and the beginner courses here have a reputation for being easy to get good grades. I picked Spanish as I simply have someone to practice with and I think having a language buddy will definitely help me to become fluent in a language.

I ended up enjoying studying the Spanish language very much and I made surprisingly fast progress by myself. I love the way Spanish sounds. However, I do realise that I did initially pick a language because "I have some online friend who speaks that language". I don't have a crush on him (I am a girl btw), yet I think this is kind of a ridiculous reason to pick a language to learn and will lead to assumptions from other people and I do not want that. The truth is I wasn't particularly interested in Latin American culture and I dont have any plans to travel there (I am from Asia - Latin America is so far away and ky parents will not be willkng to pay for the flight tickets anyway).

I self-learned a bit of French, yet I didn't like French as much as I do not like the way it sounds. I think switching to another language may be a good idea as I dont want my online friend to think that I have feelings for him while I don't. However, I do realise that if I learn French, German, or Japanese, I will not have a language buddy and finding a language buddy who you can talk to all the time is not that easy.

Whatever language I pick is unlikely to affect my career prospects.
>>
File: pile-of-money-640x330.jpg (114 KB, 640x330) Image search: [Google]
pile-of-money-640x330.jpg
114 KB, 640x330
Get really good at Spanish rather that so-so at a bunch of languages.
>>
Here's your german language buddy
>>
>>16968654
I'd say this. I switched languages a lot. I learned Portuguese as a kid, learned Latin in my tweens or so, and then picked up Japanese at the end of high school.

I never had anyone to talk to in those languages, and now I've forgotten almost everything. I can barely translate anything, let alone converse. All my linguistics teaching has pretty much been for naught.

If you don't use it, you'll forget it. Stick with a language you have an opportunity to use. If you're in the US, there's plenty of spanish speaking population that will make it the most useful of the languages you have picked.

Don't be like me. You have a good basis, use it. If you want to pick another language, I say do it after you become fluent, and make yourself trilingual. That's a valuable, useful, and sought-after skill, and if you pick languages that are desired, you can put it on your resume to great effect.
>>
>>16968459
What does the spanish language have to do with Latin American culture? Spain is a thing. Something good about spanish is that once you master it you can easily understand/learn portuguese and italian since most of the words are similar.
>>
>>16968654
>Get really good at Spanish rather that so-so at a bunch of languages
Why so?
>>16968703
Well most Hispanics in the states can speak English well. Just saying.
>>16968711
Most Spanish-speaking countries are in Latin America.
>>
>>16968789
Then it sounds like you've already made up your mind and are just looking for more excuses rather than advice.
>>
>>16968812
>you've already made up your mind
As in what?
I'm genuinely looking for advice as to whether I should stick to Spanish or switch to something else.
>>
>>16968818
Some people gave you reasons and you immediately dismissed them. This makes it seem like you just want confirmation rather than advice.
>>
>>16968865
Ok I will consider their viewpoints.
Btw I live in Asia.
>>
>>16968865
This
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.