[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As an American learning French, how retarded is it of me to try
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: carly rae jepsen.jpg (42 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
carly rae jepsen.jpg
42 KB, 306x306
As an American learning French, how retarded is it of me to try to speak French to Canadians outside of Quebec when travelling to Canada?
>>
Fairly retarded but not that bad. There are still a lot of French speaking Canadians in Ontario. Montreal is really where you want to be for practice, though.
>>
Very retarded. Very few people outside of Quebec speak French. A few tiny communities in Ontario, places along the Quebec/Ontario border and another tiny community on Winnipeg are just about it.

Quebecers will love you for learning French. There are many people over here who don't speak a word of English, only French. If you stick to Montreal and the south shore you'll find a lot of English people. But as soon as you venture off to say Trois Rivières or Quebec City you won't find many English speaking people.

The government forces the preservation of the language. So people with French parents must go to French schools, business signs and packaging must be written in French and if they include English, it must be written smaller. As a result, people over here end up in their own little world separated from the rest.
>>
>>16980910
>Quebecers will love you for learning French.
Don't they dislike foreigners?
>>
>>16981009
Yes everyone hates foreigners, fuck them
>>
Only two places in Canada have enough French for you to get away with it.

1) Quebec (duh)
2) Ottawa (it's literally right beside Quebec and full of frenchies)

Honestly, 95% of us probably know less french than you do. We're forced to take it in school up until Grade 9, where everyone drops it, and the classes were absolute trash bird-course material up to that point.

Like I remember how to say hello my name is, where is the library, and "Sorry I don't speak French"
>>
>>16981009
Usually, because they don't speak French. But a foreigner speaking French to them? They'll love you. Knowing that people outside Quebec are learning French will warm their hearts. Or they'll still be bitter and think you're a dirty American. Depends who you talk to
>>
>>16981018
>Honestly, 95% of us probably know less french than you do. We're forced to take it in school up until Grade 9, where everyone drops it, and the classes were absolute trash bird-course material up to that point.
I thought you guys would learn more French than us Americans.
>>
>>16981048
Naw. If you're learning French in America, it's because you *want* to learn French, which means you're actually paying attention and actively want to get better at the language.

Literally every French class in my life was filled with people not giving a SINGLE fuck and just doodling/chatting with friends/fucking around on a Gameboy/etc.

I retained NOTHING
>>
>>16980891
Start the conversation in English and say something like "so do people speak French or English around these parts?"

I live in Wales so I have the same problem, in some areas most people only speak English and in others people prefer to speak in Welsh
>>
>>16981053

That's pretty much sounds pretty much exactly like Spanish classes in the US

I always crack up because the only thing my friend remembers is, "Es muy Frio" (which is grammatically incorrect at that).
>>
>>16981035
Not OP but I only speak a little bit of French (beginner level and have only been learning French for 8 months). Will I be welcomed in Quebec?
>>
Just speak Canadian outside of Quebec. Quebecois will still understand english but will get butthurt if you speak it.
>>
>>16981143
>speak Canadian
keked
>>
GO AWAY BRANDON
>>
>>16980891
I went to through immersion in Alberta all the way through high school.

Anons are right that outside of very specific areas it isn't necessary. But I live in peace river now and it's come in handy when dealing with clients from farther north, there's a lot of french towns and businesses.

Also in New Brunswick there are some stuck up acadians who will give you special treatment if you can speak it.

Also fuck francophones from quebec, they are human trash.
>>
>>16981238
>they are human trash.
Why?
>>
>>16980910
> Quebecers will love you for learning French.

Not in my experience. It was the complete opposite for me in Quebec. Everyone kept trying to switch to English. And I speak fluent French. But since I clearly was a foreigner, many people decided to automatically switch to English. Hey, if I speak French to you, I would like for you to speak French back to me.

inb4 your French sucks, nobody ever has tried to switch to English when I have spoken French in France, Belgium, Switzerland, etc.
>>
>>16981302
>nobody ever has tried to switch to English when I have spoken French in France

That have more to do with the english proficiency of the frogs.
>>
>>16981317
Or because I speak good French. Then again, the Quebec accent is so horrible at times I can't be sure if they are speaking French or English.
>>
Bump for interest
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.