[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I let my kids learn Dutch?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: speech bubbles.jpg (53 KB, 1400x980) Image search: [Google]
speech bubbles.jpg
53 KB, 1400x980
We are a family who recently relocated to the Netherlands. I'm German and my husband is British. We speak German and English at home.

My kids go to a school where everything is taught in English (except for language classes of course). My kids learn English and German at school and they haven't studied any Dutch. All their classmates communicate in fluent English.

Should I let my kids learn Dutch? When my kids take part in extra-curricular activities outside of school, the teachers and tutors can speak fluent English, but obviously they speak Dutch to the other students and the locals here use Dutch to communicate amongst themselves. While we do plan to work in the Netherlands in the long-run, we plan to let our kids study in Germany or in the UK in the future. I don't think they will stay in the Netherlands forever.
>>
>>16963707
Yes, the more languages you manage to cram in a little kid the merrier. The younger you are the easier is to learn extra languages. The only problem you'll have is them mixing up the languages at first if they're very young but that will get fixed on its own.
There's no downsides in knowing another language.
>>
>>16963714
One of my kids is four. The other two are six and eight.

It's just that I do not plan to let them study uni in the Netherlands. They'll probably just go back to the UK or Germany and Dutch is pretty useless outside of the Netherlands. My kids do not seem particularly interested in Dutch culture/pop culture as well. They seem fine with not being able to speak the local language as the Dutch locals can speak English and German well.

I think it is better to let them study other things such as drawing, music, dancing, etc.
>>
>>16963707
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Apart from what >>16963714 said, even if your kids don't stay in the Netherlands forever, they are in the Netherlands now. Letting them speak that country's language is the least you can do in respect to it and its culture.

Also, not bothering to adapt is one of the worst pet peeves locals have towards foreigners. You'll be accepted a lot more if you at least try to fit in.
>>
>>16963707
you're from europe? you might as well be teaching them arabic.
>>
>>16963720
You are staying in the Netherlands in the long run, even if your kids aren't. Sooner or later they'll return, whether it's to visit their parents or also stay in the long run.

While the Dutch are one of the world's best at foreign languages, not everyone is perfect at English and German. You'd be making it a lot easier for them to survive on their own here if you teach them Dutch as well.

And they're six+eight. Of course they've got other things on their mind than learning some language. It'll help them greatly, though.

Trust me. I'm a Dutch local myself.
>>
>>16963736
I understand but not knowing Dutch is enough for survival. For example, when my kids go to dance centres to have lessons, I can easily request for a teacher who can speak fluent English without paying extra money. None of our family members are Dutch.

I don't think they are interested in staying in the Netherlands. They don't seem to care much about Dutch culture.

>>16963723
Well we follow the customs here and we don't do anything rude. I think that is good enough. The locals here respect us as we are pretty well-off.
>>
>>16963746
You've clearly made up your mind already. Why make this thread if you're going to reject all its responses?

To get into uni, your kids will need to finish their 'vwo' first at high school. By that time they'll be 18. That's 10 to 12 years that they'll be staying in the Netherlands. I know people who only stayed here for a fifth of that time yet went out to study and master the language. There's no drawback to this.
>>
>>16963761
It just seems like the time spent into learning Dutch can be spent on learning something more useful in the long run (eg. sport, drawing, music, dancing, etc).
>>
First of, dutch citizen myself.

I have lots of expat friends, whom don't speak dutch. Atleast in the capital it is hardly needed. Some have gone by speaking barebones dutch for 20+ years.

Conversly, they will miss out on certain local conversations, and since they are super young, their brains are still very maliable. They will become more included in society through learning dutch, and a third language always helps later on your resume.

Also all the other things, drawing, music, dancing, will be greatly enhanced given they can converse and understand local culture. Therefore i would advise them to pick up atleast the basics, but also readily admit it is in no way a necessity. Simply added value IMO.
>>
>>16963766
Are you that idiot serial-reposter who has been pissing and moaning for months about hacing to choose a language elective in school? Because roght now, you sound like him.

Assuming for the moment that you are not, then you and your family are guests in a foreign land. Learning the dominant local language is common courtesy to your host country. It's also basic emergency preparedness.
>>
>>16963770
We live in Amsterdam.
Well, I guess they can befriend the local kids more easily. Some of the younger local kids cannot speak English that well yet.
>>16963774
It takes such dedication and time to learn it to a level where you can actually communicate in it though. If they are just learning a teeny-weeny bit of Dutch, they might as well not learn any Dutch at all.
>>
>>16963766
You can combine them. By not teaching them Dutch, you are limiting your children to a small area that may or may not fulfill all of their needs. What if they have a sports match on the other side of the country, somewhere that isn't as multicultural as your current area?

>>16963770
>in the capital
That's the case in all countries. Leave the capital and you'll start needing to know Dutch more and more.

>>16963774
This. Like I said, ignorance towards our language is what bothers our people most. They may not show it (also a cultural thing) but you'll make a much better impression by at least pretending to give a damn.

>>16963778
>If they are just learning a teeny-weeny bit of Dutch, they might as well not learn any Dutch at all.
Then try harder than "a teeny-weeny bit of Dutch".
>>
>>16963730
Usted tiene razon
>>
They're young AND they're embedded in a culture of native speakers. It'll be a million times easier for them to pick up on it than most kids' attempts to learn second languages, and they'll be learning plenty outside of just lessons since they'll be able to speak it with friends.

But literally everyone ITT thinks it's a good idea and you're still pussyfooting, so whatever. It's a terrible idea, OP, don't let them learn Dutch, it'll rot their brains and take up valuable time better spent learning other things. There. Happy?
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 533x800
>they dont seem to be interested in the culture at all

They're eight and four, of course they aren't. They are more interested in mine craft probably. But what if that changes. You seem to have it all planned out for them. But what if they don't want to follow your plan?
What if they want to stay in the Netherlands, don't want to go to a uni?

Why dictate someone's life like that? And then make a thread here and discard every opinion.

You are a horrible parent who doesn't think about anything except your own benefits.

Get fucked.
>>
>>16963720
>I do not plan to let them study uni in the Netherlands.

By the time they're old enough to go to uni, you won't be in a position to 'let' them do anything.
>>
>>16963823
>What if they want to stay in the Netherlands, don't want to go to a uni?
I don't think they will do that. We send them to an expensive private school so they better get the most out of that.
>>16963826
Unis in the UK/Germany are more well-known.
>>
>>16963778
Funny, i live there too.

My ex girlfriend was in one of those international schools. (AICS) And i myself studied at a bilingual school, and attended an english university (university college, liberal arts degree, and i myself was raised bilingual dutch/english. So i feel i can relate and have some experience.

So i reiterate, i know exactly the type of people your kids might become, the expat types. Most that did not speak dutch sometime felt left out of conversations, and those that did, were glad they could.

Its not that they need to be able to write a lawyer level letter, but rather that at social things, birthday parties, soccor practise, music class etc they will just be more inclusive, and thus also enabled to take a more leadership role and develop their personalities fuller. English will get them by, and have them be able to contribute. But including dutch will literally open their universe to more of their surroundings, and enable them to interact better with it.

I noticed the english only were more elitist, stricter parents, but less social life, and at the end of the day just fit in slightly less. Just talking will suffice, and enrich their lives.

Think of it this way; all the knowledge dutch kids hold, will become inaccessible to them. Lots of potential lessons missed. Its your choice, but really they go faster than lightning at those ages and i am sure all my only english speaking friends would have appreciated the effort to have them learn dutch, given the benefits later down the line.

And a final caveat; it also really depends on the duration of your stay. If you are moving in 2 years, don't bother. If they will go to high school here and become adolescents in the Netherlands, they will benefit tremendously undoubtedly.
>>
>>16963845
Yup you nailed it so well.
Well, a lot of expats survived in the Netherlands and they seem fine.
>>
Yes. Any language is always a plus. Also, care to integrate into your hist country? How do you barbarians do groceries or go out in public?
>>
>>16963730
Underaged /pol/ virgins are flooding other boards again.
>>
>>16963874
I always see these "learn Arabic" posts on /adv/
>>
>>16963845
Its really the small things that count.

Understanding the inside jokes people make,

Being able to discern after talking english in a bar or at a party or wherever; what the dutch guys or girls are saying to their friends about you, it will give them an edge, and develop their brains more, making them smarter essentially. Since they have more sources to draw knowledge and experience from. Not having them learn it, will have them more in their own little bubble, looking from the outside inwards.

The idea that your kids only learn at school, is overrated. Knowledge is everywhere. Also the University colleges in Holland are very good, and most of my higher achieving peers have gotten places at Yale, Oxford, Cambridge, etc.

Really, only downside i see is some effort on the parents part NOW, for unlimited upside for the children later. You can claim its not important, but i feel you are making yourselves more important than you are, and undermining the rest of society and their ability to teach, as sources for your children to learn. So yeah, enroll them in dutch classes at their schools.

And hell, if they speak german already, its even easier.
>>
>>16963878
I don't note them often on /adv/ or some other boards. They are on shit boards like /int/, so it does stand out when one of them posts.
>>
You are really underestimating children. I learned english when I was around your kids' age by watching a lot of cartoon network (no subtitles) and just naturally picked it up. I started lessons in 7th grade and after understanding the basic rules of written english, I was fluent.

Just because you're lazy doesn't mean your kids should be deprived of a connection to a country they live in. They can do it. And your excuse about the time being better spent on drawing etc... I have news for you; if they are into it, they will do it ANYWAY regardless of your influence.

You just don't want them to speak a language you have no interest in learning yourself.
>>
>>16963883
>undermining the rest of society and their ability to teach
I'm not saying Dutch locals cannot teach, but really, many Dutch teachers are good enough at English (or even German) to share their skills with my kids.
>>
>>16963707
yes hitler you should
>>
>>16963943
> "The idea that your kids only learn at school, is overrated "

If you think life exists out of learning formulas from school, go ahead, don't teach them dutch. Ive written extensively why i think it will make your children Better, smarter and happier individuals.

Do as you wish.
>>
>>16963707
it might seem as if they "survive", but I'm dutch myself, I live in Amsterdam, born and raised, and I met some people that diddn't speak dutch, but where here for a long time.

yes we do all speak english..

but honoustly it's just realy fucking anoying having to switch all the time, it makes them uninteresting.
I realy don't want them as friends, I just want to speak dutch in the Netherlands.

>let your kids learn Dutch damnit! it's WAY better for them, you realy should!

there are no downsides.
>>
>>16963707

>I don't think they will stay in the Netherlands forever.

What the hell do you even mean by that? It appears to me you are planning to stay here with them for many years to come.

Know this: while most Dutch people can communicate with your kids, if they don't speak the language at least to some degree, they will always be outsiders. I think this applies in every country.
>>
>>16963845
>Its not that they need to be able to write a lawyer level letter, but rather that at social things, birthday parties, soccor practise, music class etc they will just be more inclusive, and thus also enabled to take a more leadership role and develop their personalities fuller.

This.
Learning Dutch won't take away from their ability to learn one other arbitrary skill, it's not a 1 for 1 swap out. Learning Dutch will improve their ability to learn everything across the board - continuously, both inside and outside of an educational setting.
>>
>>16963874
go cuck some place else
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.