[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pen pal question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: pen pal cat bird.gif (13 KB, 306x237) Image search: [Google]
pen pal cat bird.gif
13 KB, 306x237
A childhood pen pal of mine just moved from a bumfuck region with terrible Wifi to an area with good Wifi. How often can I message her without things becoming strange/weird/creepy/whatever? We happened to develop similar interests and to be obsessed with the same anime. None of my irl friends like the same anime.
>>
I talk with online friends every night. So long as you're not messaging her every hour it should be fine.
If eventually she stops responding as quickly, then maybe you're messaging her too much. But you should be able to know when you're being too clingy.
>>
>>16959296
But look at this: http://archive.4plebs.org/adv/thread/16933414/#16933453
Some people also say that online friends are not "real" friends.
>>
>>16959307
That's their opinion.
I've kept a friendship online for 5 years and we still talk and game every single night.
Another one for 3 years and we talk every night, and sometimes about very personal stuff.
Who cares if they're a "real friend"? The point of online friends is having someone to talk to about anything. If you get along well, great. If you both after a few years realize you want to be together, work it out.
It's important to have friends IRL, of course. Online friends can never replace "real" friends you can actually hang out with.
Having both friends online and IRL is completely fine. Talk to whoever you like to talk to.
>>
>>16959327
>I've kept a friendship online for 5 years
Did you meet your online friend irl?
4chan also says that it is a bad idea according to this thread:
http://archive.4plebs.org/adv/thread/16955672/v
>>
>>16959337
Didn't read that far down, but anyway
None of us have felt the need to meet. We just like talking.
Also, we live several states apart. We're not in the financial position to just drop everything and visit. I'm in college and have a job, they have family troubles/ a job.
You don't NEED to meet after knowing each other for so long if you don't want to. Some people just like talking, believe it or not. I think of neither of these friends romantically.
If you think having online friends is a bad idea. then don't make any. It's worked out fine for me, though. If I still talk to them when I have a stable job and can take some time off, I'll meet them. But for now that's not something I care to do nor can do.
Point is, talk if you want to talk, meet if you both want to meet. Nothing wrong with talking, meeting is fine so long as it's safe and you're not risking too much. I feel like we went a bit off-topic.
>>
>>16959397
Just curious about your views on meeting online friends.
Is that OP's case (a girl) about flying to Germany with a group of online friends to meet an online friend (a guy) dangerous?
>>
>>16959431
I personally believe meeting online friends is totally safe so long as:
- You meet in an open, somewhat crowded public area, a bare minimum of 20 minutes away from where you live. Perhaps a cafe or mall or something.
- Bring someone/people you trust with you, such as parents, a best friend, or several friends.
- Don't let the online friend know where you live until you've met a few times in public areas.

These are my personal made-up rules for just in case the opportunity arises.

I believe flying to Germany to meet an online friend is a bit reckless, but since the opportunity came up and she can meet the online friend with other students or her parents, it's fine. She should have definitely told her parents, though. Safety first.
>>
>>16959450
>She should have definitely told her parents
Even if she went with her group of friends?
Don't you think telling her parents will be super awkward though?
>>
>>16959460

Yeah I'd rather have a super-awkward 30 minute conversation with my parents than end up raped or murdered somewhere, or risking them finding out later and killing me for going behind their backs. I'd feel better about it, too.
Just plan out the conversation first.
>>
>>16959477
How would you plan it if you were in that situtation?
>>
>>16959033
Let her set the pace. If she replies immediately, you can. If she takes a day or two, you should.
>>
>>16959608
People say that long-distance friendships are not possible though:
http://archive.4plebs.org/adv/thread/16933414/#16933453
>>
>>16959602
"Hey mom, I want to let you know that I've been talking to people online for years. Specifically this one person who I love to talk to every day." My mother doesn't know this, so getting her to be comfortable with this is the first hurdle . Honestly don't know how she'd respond. Pretty sure she'd be OK with it, though. "We care about each other a lot as friends, so we've decided to meet. I want to let you know that I have it completely planned [insert safe meeting plan] and our only intention is to talk and hang out with him for the day. Though it's true I've been talking to him for years, and I trust him completely, it's always better to be safe, so it'd mean the world to me if you to come with me. If not, I'd like your permission to take a few of my friends to meet him."
that's as much as I'd plan. If she'd disagree I'd make it up as I go.

>>16959650

Because long long-distance doesn't work.
The thing is, you can have one. For a little while. I've read success stories n such of people meeting through games and moving in together. You can start out as friends and talk a lot, but if you decide to make it a long-distance relationship, the relationship becomes a ticking time bomb. One of you needs to be in the position to just drop everything and move out of state to be with the other person some day, and that some day has to be soon (Longest any of my friends have made them last is about 2 years.). If that's not something either person can do any time soon, don't even try. Not worth it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.