[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I havent read a book for pleasure in maybe 8 years. What book
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1441034472552.jpg (33 KB, 900x530) Image search: [Google]
1441034472552.jpg
33 KB, 900x530
I havent read a book for pleasure in maybe 8 years.
What book should I try to read?
How can I make it so that the urge to put it down dosen't overwhelm me?
>>
>>16956406
Get past the exposition. Read a throwaway pulp book. I read one called the 47th samurai about a vietnam vet taking on the yakuza, it was fun and easy to read.
>>
I hadn't read a book in a few years myself. Aside from stuff like Freakonomics and John Stossel books. Then I found a copy of Killing Floor by Lee Child in the trash at work. Read the entire book in like 3 days. Then read the next one in about 5. Then the third in the series in another 5. On the 4th book now. 16 to go.

The first one was really good and so was the second one. I couldn't stop reading. They're the Jack Reacher books by the way. Good thrillers that make you wanna keep reading to find out what happens.

The Freakonomics books are really good too. Different kind of reading than a novel but really interesting stuff. Same with Stossel. They make you look at things in a completely different light.
>>
>>16956406
PIck a movie you like that is based on a book. Read the book.
>>
It really depends what type of books you like.
>>
>>16956406
If you haven't head The Illiad yet I would advise that. The Divine Comedy is also good.
>>
The Martian
>>
>>16956406
dont read classics, more modern books are much easier to read if you havent read in a while
>>
http://www.amazon.com/The-House-Scorpion-Nancy-Farmer/dp/0689852231 This is a great book.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.