[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a boring IT desk job. I have to show up at the office
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Capture.png (164 KB, 407x604) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
164 KB, 407x604
I have a boring IT desk job. I have to show up at the office in formal attire at 8:00 AM and stay till 4:30 PM with a half hour lunch break. Most days there's nothing for me to do, so I just fuck around on my phone.

The problem is, I'm not a morning person. I try to go to bed early but I just lay there for hours. When I wake up at 7:00 to get ready, I feel exhausted. I usually have at least three cups of black coffee once I get to the office, and when I get home I feel like a zombie.

How do I into mornings, /adv/? I don't care about being tired at my boring job, but I can't enjoy my free time anymore because I'm so tired.
>>
alarm clock with sleep cycle detection ;)
>>
File: 1428985234376.jpg (19 KB, 618x416) Image search: [Google]
1428985234376.jpg
19 KB, 618x416
>>16954670
I too have a boring IT desk job with lots of boring work and shitty downtime on my phone. Weird. Mine is business-casual though.

Anyways, I'd drink less coffee. Less caffeine, less crashing, better energy, better rest. You may think this idea sucks, but it works for me. I drink less coffee by watering it down in the morning. I put like 1/4 mug of coffee with a bit of milk and fill the rest with hot water, and the warmth, smell, and taste gives me that wake up-y atmosphere, without all the caffeine. I'll have like 3 cups in the morning and it doesnt even amount to one normal cup.
>>
>>16954670
Go to bed earlier.

Work out daily after work.

Read at work instead of fucking with your phone. That sounds cush as fuck to me. I would be reading every day, watching new movies every day, and writing every day.
>>
>>16954670
it's because you're not applying yourself
any employee who says there is nothing for them to do isn't trying hard enough

you break down your system into parts, analyses possible improvements, practice solving theoretical problems you havn't encountered yet

failing that you learn, study anything you can, you get better

if you can't sleep it's because you are doing nothing during the day, some anon said working out and he's right
any kind of phisical activity will help stabalize your sleep cycle
>>
>>16954670

Exercise, and cut caffeine, especially 12 hours before you should fall asleep. If you need to wake up at 7 then you should be in bed by 11 so no coffee after 11am.
>>
>>16954673
>>16954707
I'll try it.

>>16954708
I would be doing those things, in fact that's a large portion of what I feel I can no longer do at home. I'm trying to teach myself webdev for fun. However my office has an open floor plan so three people are watching me at any given time, and I'm staring at four people. It's creepy and stressful, I feel like someone is looking over my shoulder all day (because they are, and they can't help it). I already got told no books, movies, etc and I get the stink eye if I open Google docs.

>>16954740
I'll try exercise too. I try to get to bed by 11:00 but I always just lay there till 1:00 or so.

>>16954738
Trust me, at this org there really isn't anything extra for me to do. I was brought on to work with very specific software they haven't implemented yet. Anything else is outside my job description and I'm not getting paid extra.

That said, I do handle extra things to fill up my time. There just isn't much applicable to my position. I do tech support and training odd jobs or test other systems. But for the most part I have nothing. No personal space, no privacy, no environmental control, no working computer.
>>
>>16954845
>>16954740
Forgot to add, the reason I don't really work out is I'm skin and bones and don't know any of the equipment, so I'm embarrassed to use the gym. I need to start though, I've gained six pounds since getting hired in January, I'm up to 140 now.
>>
>>16954845
Listen to books on tape
>>
>>16954850
Go to /fit/ and read the sticky. Do Reg Parks.
>>
>>16954670
Make sure everything is off in your room. Turn off any source of light. Put your phone away. Eventually, sleep will just start to take over. I had to change my sleep schedule when I started doing cable and that's what I did. Don't know if it'll warrant the same results, though.
>>
I echo that less coffee and more working out are good options. Maybe try some over the counter sleep aids to get your body used to a routine?

I used to use Unisom (generic is diphenhydramine) to sleep, and it's helpful for a while as long as you make sure you're getting a good night's sleep and don't build up too much of a tolerance. I've noticed that if I take more than 50 mg, I'm exhausted the next day.

I switched to melatonin, which worked for a while, but is starting to become pointless... anyways, cutting off the coffee is probably best.
>>
>>16954968
Benydryl (diphenhydramamine) always makes me feel stupid the next day when I've used it
>>
File: rimshotharley.gif (1 MB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
rimshotharley.gif
1 MB, 500x375
>>16955192

What's your excuse on the other days?
>>
>>16955194
Weed or liquor, obviously
>>
>>16955260

You sound like the kind of guy I'd get along with.
>>
>>16954670
Exercise is a must and will wake you up more than coffee (and you won't crash later in the day). I'd definitely recommend Couch to 5k, if you're not used to running. Even a brisk 15-20 minute walk or a bunch of jumping jacks in your bedroom will wake you up.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.