[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UofT vs UW, CS vs SE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: simpsons rule.png (8 KB, 539x343) Image search: [Google]
simpsons rule.png
8 KB, 539x343
Hi /adv/, I'm a high school student who is deciding whether I should study Computer Science or Software Engineering. I’m also debating whether I should go to UofT or UW. So far I've been accepted in both CS and SE at UofT. I haven't gotten a response from UW, but I'm confident I'll be accepted there for both CS and SE as well.

I live in Peterborough, so UofT is a couple hours closer than UW. I don't really plan to visit home that often though, so distance isn't really an issue. I haven’t submitted my plans for residence at UW. I’ve selected New College as my primary choice for residence at UofT.

The UofT engineering department has offered me a $6000 scholarship. I cannot collect the money if I take CS at UofT; I can only get it if I take the engineering program. My only concern is that the "SE" program at UofT isn't really SE. The closest thing they offer to an SE program is a Computer Engineering program where you can specialize in software in your "upper years". I'm concerned I would be wasting a lot of time learning stuff that is irrelevant to SE if I went to UofT for the engineering program. UW has a program dedicated completely to SE and its cut-offs for admission are higher than all the other programs (85%+ for CS at UofT and UW, 85%+ for CE/"SE" at UofT, and 90%+ for SE at UW).

I believe the co-op program at UW is superior to UofT’s co-op program. UW’s co-op program alternates between 4-month school terms and 4-month paid work, culminating in 2 years of co-op. UofT’s co-op program is a PEY (Professional Experience Year), where you take 12-16 months off. The UW co-op program gives you the opportunity to meet more employers and provides you with more experience overall than UofT’s PEY. I also have the impression it’s easier to find a job as a CS/SE UW graduate compared to a UofT graduate. Large tech companies like Google tend to favor UW graduates.
>>
If you are looking into breaking into Silicon Valley go to UW. If you are looking for better co-op go to UW. If you are looking for better scholarship take UofT cause UW gives shit for scholarships.

> UW Grad and I hated it there
>>
I'm currently taking the AP Calculus AB course. If I get a level 5 on the AP exam, I will be exempt from taking calculus 1 at UW. UofT does not acknowledge your results on the AP exam, so I would need to take calculus 1 at UofT even if I got a level 5 on the exam. I'm confident that my math teacher has covered all the concepts needed for calculus 1; I've read books for calculus 1 courses and I haven't come across any new concepts.

In terms of SE vs CS, everyone keeps hating on SE. I have no idea why.

Everyone keeps saying SE students are pretentious faggots who are just CS students with an iron ring. Many people I've talked to argue that CS is more "flexible"; you have more electives with the CS program than the SE program. They imply that CS students can take all the courses SE students take through electives. Is this true? If so, what gives SE an advantage over CS? If a CS student can potentially take all the courses a SE student takes, what's the point of SE?

People often claim that CS is more theoretical while SE is more practical. Any thoughts on this? I fascinated with algorithms and enjoy problem-solving, but I also want to make efficient programs that be used by a large demographic (e.g. the average consumer).

I enjoy working on large projects that involve creating things. I want to dedicate my life to creating programs, websites, games, applications, etc. I’m “experienced” HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Visual Basic (taught in Grade 11 CompSci, not my choice) and C++. I've toyed with PHP, mySQL and C, but I'm mediocre at best with those languages. I am currently learning Java in my Grade 12 CompSci course.

I'm leaning towards SE at UW at the moment even though UofT engineering has offered a $6000 scholarship. What do /adv/?

Also sorry >>16952621 for the second post. Grammarly ruins the undo function.
>>
>>16952627
late second post*
>>
>>16952621

Almost every single UW grad says they hate it there. You're not the only one anon. Why do many UW grads say they hate UW?
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.