[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
No matter how productive/social/happy/whatever I force myself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 526x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 526x480
No matter how productive/social/happy/whatever I force myself to be, I always end up getting really down about the fact I'm not very intelligent. I'm studying towards a degree that's too difficult for me and as a result I have a pretty intense love-hate relationship with it (I couldn't drop out even if I wanted to), as well as a daily reminder that I'm just not that clever. What's the best way of coping with this?
>>
I'm weird, but I doubt you're too stupid. I think you probably imagine other people have it easier and you're upset at how much work it is for you.

The valedictorian of my HS (now in med school) was a very hard working girl. She wasn't stupid, but she also wasn't smart. She just worked really hard. And it's getting her farther that my genius IQ got my college drop out ass.

Other people aren't as smart as you think.

If you can't convince yourself of that, get bitter and hate the people you think are smart and decide you're going to beat them through your superior work ethic, tortoise/hare style.
>>
Maybe find a career path that isn't quite so intellectually involved? Not everyone has to be a doctor or an engineer, OP. Don't try to force a square peg through a round hole.

Are you good at working with your hands? You like fixing/building things, anything like that? You'd probably be better off learning a skilled trade and trying to build a career in that. Trades can pay really, really well and they're pretty much always in demand
>>
>>16949250
Hard work > talent

Success comes from effort. Even if you aren't as smart as other people (which I'm not saying is the case), if you out-work them you'll out succeed them.

Keep on keepin' on, bro
>>
>>16949282
>I think you probably imagine other people have it easier and you're upset at how much work it is for you.
When I started university that was my problem exactly. It put me in a pretty bad place but over time I realised that everyone struggles, so that helped enough for me to begin putting in effort with my studies. But in studying more it's made me realise I'm not clever enough for the career path I want, and that's hard to come to terms with because it's the only thing I've ever felt like I "fit" with.

Though you mention IQ and I think that's also something that bothers me. I know hard work achieves more than IQ alone, but feeling like yours is low still sucks. I'm just insecure about it, I guess.

>>16949286
I have to finish my degree regardless of what I do next, but I don't know how satisfied I'd be with a trade. I guess you never know until you try, but I really enjoy what I do and I don't want to give it up. I just don't know where to draw the line.

>>16949294
Thanks anon, I do appreciate it.
>>
>>16949342

Alright then, if you love the work keep working on it. Genuine enthusiasm and hard work can go a very long way, as the other anons have said. If you're in a good program, it's SUPPOSED to feel very challenging. If you're passing the courses, you're not too stupid for the courses
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.