[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a gorgeous girlfriend, wealthy family, good friends, I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: JKmtT.png (234 KB, 802x536) Image search: [Google]
JKmtT.png
234 KB, 802x536
I have a gorgeous girlfriend, wealthy family, good friends, I'm good at the sports that I play, and I'm leaving to go to prep school after this summer, but as mature as I want to be and as much as I want to have a future, I feel that I will never overcome the fact that death is inevitable, that God may or may not exist, that there's nothing on the other side. I struggle to cope with this even though I know my life could be much worse. It keeps holding me back from doing the things I love, knowing that the average lifespan is around 80 years, and that 80 years in retrospect isn't a long time at all. How do I cope with this and how can I find peace within myself so that I can fully tap into my potential with the opportunities I've been given?
>>
None of it matters. Live in the moment, enjoy what you have.

Death is like before you were born. Nothing. No feelings, no existence. Almost like a dreamless sleep. It's neither positive or negative.

You didn't exist for billions of years to begin with so why care?
>>
>>16947131
Do you recognize that it is ridiculous to worry that death is imminent for us all?

This is an existential crisis, which is a fancy way of saying that your mind is expanding into a greater perspective.
>>
>>16947131
If you want a good story that can help you cope with your own mortality I would consider reading the Epic of Gilgamesh if you haven't already. I remember it really put my mind at ease about my own mortality. I was having thoughts similar to you in college and the Epic of Gilgamesh was required reading for an ancient history course I was taking. It is a great read regardless of whether or not it actually helps you. The story is nearly as old as history itself and shows you how long people have been struggling with this existential crisis.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.