[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Critical Thinking Gets Me In Hot Water- How Do I Cool Off?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1356747233909.jpg (6 KB, 251x189) Image search: [Google]
1356747233909.jpg
6 KB, 251x189
I've been trying to transform myself into a "normalfag" recently
In my teens, I wasted, God knows how many hours, playing video games, eating junk food, and dressing in exclusively dark hoodies and jeans.
I've been pretty good so far, but I can't help myself from arguing with total retards about stupid shit. Just today an acquaintance of mine started talking about "whole brain transplants" and his dumb cunt of a girlfriend and he immediately affirmed to each other that not only is such a procedure possible, but it was also done live on TV in 2015. I just couldn't help myself! Of course it didn't happen, of course I immediately argued with the guy, and of course his dumb cunt gf got pissy with me.
>Could you stop talking about gross brain transplants? I'm trying to text my friends!
I got even more pissed and then a waiter asked me to lower my voice and I snapped on him by saying something to the effect of "I wouldn't be so loud to you if you didn't stand so close" so then I made a fool of myself there. The dumb cunt fires back at me with
>Why aren't you a lawyer? You love to argue with people!
In that fucking bitchy passive-aggressive tone.
I did eventually convince my acquaintance, but that cunt still walks this Earth both believing that these operations exist and that I'm some kind of moron.
The worst part is that this shit has been bothering me all day. An hour after, I was over it and an hour ago I immediately started thinking about it again. I can't help my dumb fuckin' self. I'm usually a meek guy, too. I don't often get so pissed; my brain just shuts down when I do. It just astounds me that people like her exist- it jams the gears in my head or some shit.
How do I resist speaking at all? Trying to have discussions about how someone might be misled is always disastrous, so how do I hide my true nature and appear outwardly as a normalfag?
>>
The best advice i can give is to drop the subject if they just block.off your arguments. Getting heated makes them assume youre in the wrong, no matter if its true.
Certain people cant and shouldnt be argued with
>>
>>16946918
While you may need to tone down your reaction, feeling this pissed off about willful ignorance is completely normal. They're passively destroying modern society by staying this stupid.

Cut them off and go find smart friends.
>>
>>16946929
Thanks man. I usually stay alright during this but- fucking brain transplants! And they thought that the guy, with a completely new brain, was the same dude! I couldn't even convince this acquaintance without pulling the old tired "If its not ur brain is it rly u hurr" argument to finally convince him. Fucking hell.
I'm resolving to never talk about anything more complicated than superhero movies with coworkers again. Fuck it all.
>>16946944
Can't cut 'em off right now- The acquaintance is a usually OK co-worker who I generally get along fine with and his gf is probably cheating on him but he won't let himself think of it so he stays with her and buys all her meals and half of her jewelry. That in and of itself makes my blood silently boil, but he won't listen to me so I've given up on that front.

Holy shit, Boss, connection errors everywhere
>>
>>16946918
>I've been pretty good so far, but I can't help myself from arguing with total retards about stupid shit

Well, there are total retards that believe stupid shit all over the place; you're going to get pissed at all of them?

Learn to control your own dumbfuck autism. Just know you're right, you aren't going to convince the world.
>>
>>16947015
But I convinced that guy. I dunno, I feel some awful obligation to help people not believe dumb shit. Months ago another coworker in another department was talking about that faked video of the monkey shooting an AK-47 and blew me off when I showed her a video explaining how it was viral advertising for the new Planet of the Apes movie.
How do I control my autism? Should I consult literature? Should I drink bleach and eat clay? What do I do?
>>
>>16947031
>How do I control my autism? Should I consult literature?
No, just fucking mature. You can at least make jokes, so you're not that far on the spectrum.

Part of it also is your own sense of self-worth at being right; once you grow and mature, you realize that it doesn't matter about other people, only yourself.

People can take my advice on here, or not; I am not offended if people don't. People need to be free to fuck up, free to be wrong. It doesn't stop me from trying to help people that I care about, but you have to recognize limits.

Don't you think you could have convinced that guy using logic, instead of throwing a fucking tantrum? Read "The North Wind and the Sun" by Aesop.
>>
>>16947044
Thanks for the advice, man. I am pretty fresh out of school, I can admit that I'm probably lagging behind in maturity.
I'll give it a try.
Although I would like to point out that I did convince the guy using logic, albeit in a bit of a huffy and bassy tone. I'll read that fable later on tonight.
Thanks again, Anon.
>>
>>16947076
>Although I would like to point out that I did convince the guy using logic, albeit in a bit of a huffy and bassy tone. I'll read that fable later on tonight.
>Thanks again, Anon.

Np, gentle reader. I was a lot like you when I was younger, you eventually realize the shit doesn't really matter.
>>
>>16946918

Anger comes from lacking acceptance. Healthy anger is refusing to accept things in your power to change. Unhealthy anger is not accepting things which you cannot change.

The world is fucked up. People are fucked up. As a man in his 30s that was once like you I simply don't care anymore.
>>
>>16947031

Before you correct someone, just ask yourself if it's important. Ask if your life, or their life, or the world at large, will be improved if your co-worker knows that the monkey video was fake, or the brain transplant couldn't happen. Did you really accomplish anything positive? Did anything change? Or did you just take pointless, time-killing small talk, which pretty much exists only for social bonding, and make it heated and hostile over small facts that don't affect any of your lives?

If they really cared enough to know the truth, you know they could Google it. They don't care. Your co-workers girlfriend isn't a surgeon, she isn't going to attempt a brain transplant anytime soon. Your other co-worker didn't need to be corrected about her silly video of a monkey.

If you see someone about to step in dog shit, warn them. If somebody's about to fuck up their job or something, correct them. If it is RELEVANT and MEANINGFUL, correct them. But if people are just chatting and bullshitting, and you're jumping on every available opportunity to make them feel stupid, you're shooting yourself in the foot. Intelligence alone isn't enough to get far in the world. You don't have to kiss ass or suck up, but don't actively alienate everyone that talks to you, either.
>>
>>16947192
Thanks, I needed to read that. The coworker talking about the monkey video was a little more complicated than small talk, so I don't mind that faux pas so much.
All of that other stuff, though, yeah. You're absolutely right. Thanks for your frankness.
>>16947160
I don't know, that sounds a little too depressing for my tastes. Maybe one day I'll be so jaded, but I'm not quite there yet.
>>
well if thats your only concern
being a defeatist is an answer
that will fix that compulsion for sure
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.