[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a question: is it a bad idea to get a master's in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
I have a question: is it a bad idea to get a master's in international journalism? International journalism degrees are basically half international relations, and half journalism.
I know international relations degrees are valuable right now, but I know communications degrees are worthless. That said, journalism is no longer in the bottom 10 masters, meaning the field must be doing better. English still is in the bottom 10. I like writing, and would love to make a career in it, but I also like the idea of a career in international relations analysis.

From what I've seen, there are 8 notable programs:
Columbia University
University of Paris
New York University
George Washington University
Boston University
American University
University of Kent
The New School

I've actually already been accepted to the one at BU, and I've taken the offer with a small scholarship. But now I'm having second thoughts, and I'm even thinking I should transfer to the Uni of Paris (Sciences Po) after a semester, just because of price.
I feel like if I do this degree, it will put me on a path I will be fulfilled by. At the same time, it's a risky path, and I could see myself doing well with a more profitable path, like statistics.
Thoughts?
>>
I only have antenatal experiences. My flatmate in university used to run a very high quality international relations blog and had an amazing CV. He applied to embassies but just ended up working in Waterstones (and still does years later).

I would try to combine it with something else, like specific domain knowledge or fluency in other languages. Else your competing with people like my girlfriend who's Asian business education has given her fluency in 5 different languages. Well that's my anecdotal stuff anyway.
>>
>>16945447

All my friend doing any kind of "journalism" are working mostly free in the attempt to build a name.

After studies and "istutionalized" courses and work the offers drop drastically and they end up doing local stuff.

Milano here.
>>
>>16945464
That is a good point. With the BU program I do choose an IR specialization, and kind of on the fence between an Asia regional focus, and policy. As far as languages go, that is a concern, though - I don't speak any Asian languages, but I'm fluent in an African language (Wolof, because of my work in Senegal), and I have high intermediate French. But I really don't want to work in Africa anymore, as I've always found Asia more interesting.

>>16945483
What kinds of local things have they wound up doing? I assume by local you mean NYC. I'm okay with going through a name building phase, but I'll need some good jobs and experiences to get me through that period
>>
Journalism in general is becoming kind of a joke these days..
>>
Im looking at kent for computer science. Its a really nice campus
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.