[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Anglos stereotype Hispanics as family-orientated when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Latin America Flags.jpg (39 KB, 656x418) Image search: [Google]
Latin America Flags.jpg
39 KB, 656x418
Why do Anglos stereotype Hispanics as family-orientated when Anglos are equally as family-orientated? Every Anglo expat in my area who has kids is obsessed with uploading photos of their kids onto Facebook where 99% of their Facebook wall is covered with family photos - they are family-orientated as fuck themselves.

(sorry for posting here. I want serious responses and I don't think I can get them on /int/ or /b/)
>>
Facebook is everyone's personal shrine to themselves. Simply posting pictures of your family doesn't necessarily mean that family is important to you, only that you want to show it off.
>>
>>16944905
>Simply posting pictures of your family doesn't necessarily mean that family is important to you
Why the heck would you post something that is not important to you? Would a person who doesn't like Taylor Swift share pictures of her on Facebook?
>only that you want to show it off
I don't think so. The Anglo expats here seem obsessed with their kids. And their wives too, considering that they like to post pictures of their family with their wives in it as well. This English teacher I had likes to talk about his kid all the time even when it is irrelevant as fuck and bringing his kid to school events that are obviously unintended for toddlers.
>>
Whites are generally all about their immediate family, but wider family is ignored. 'Family' to non-whites can include several generations, and cousins, second cousins, and more distant relations
>>
>>16944914
So how are Hispanics more family-orientated in this aspect? Anglos also be like "travelled to X country with my parents and my wife and my kids" and upload tonnes of photos on Facebook. When they go back to their own Anglo country, they also upload tonnes of photos of themselves and their distant relatives onto Facebook.
>>
>>16944919
Why is Facebook the only thing you're focusing on? There is so much more than just Facebook
>>
>>16944925
Because Anglos are obsessed as fuck with their kids on Facebook (at least the ones I know).
I used other examples too. Like that English teacher I had who always mentioned his kid even if it was irrelevant as fuck. Like someone mentioned something about art classes and he will be like "my kid attends art classes as well". Or Anglo expats in my area uploading videos of their kids onto Youtube. Or always filming them with their phones and shit.
I mean, I can understand why parents are obsessed with their kids, but geez, Anglos are like that as well, - why think of the Hispanics as family-orientated?
>>
>>16944929
Like I said, family to non-whites is more than just their immediate family. There are few parents of any race or culture who don't shut up about their kids, but you rarely find white people who talk about their extended family the way non-whites do

And anyway, does it really matter?
>>
>>16944939
It's something that I am curious about. I see all these "Hispanic people are family-orientated" stereotypes on the web and I don't get them. Even a friend of mine from Spain said that the Hispanics in Spain do not have their grandparents living in the same house so I think Hispanics are just as family-orientated as Anglos.
>>
>>16944905
Ultimately, this. If Anglos stereotype Hispanics as family-oriented, it is because they see that family orientation as more genuine than what they see in their own culture.
>>
>>16945094
>more genuine
How though? How can you know whether Hispanic family relationships are truly more genuine than Anglo family relationships? You can't measure it and chances are only people in that family will know what the relationships are like.
>>
>>16944948
So you have one friend from Spain, and that anecdatum is all you're going on? What about Latin America?
>>
>>16945596
He said Latin Americans are not as family orientated as Americans claim
>>
I think it's cause Hispanics have larger families as a whole, like more kids per family, giving the impression of a wider family circle = more family oriented image. Plus afaik there's less pressure in Hispanic cultures to move out of parents' house soon as you reach 18, and apparently they earn less than whites in statistics, so maybe more of them live in 1 house at the same time further perpetuating the family oriented thing
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.