[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have about 12k in the bank, a dead end job making $14 an hour,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 2345435345345.png (254 KB, 704x400) Image search: [Google]
2345435345345.png
254 KB, 704x400
I have about 12k in the bank, a dead end job making $14 an hour, I live at home and my parents and all my friends will be moving out of state by the end of the year.

What do?
>>
depends on what you have already.

do you have an education, a car, a skill/hobby?
>>
>>16945470
No education, I have a clunker car that runs fine that I've taken all the way from LA to Canada with no problems. No debt, pretty much no dreams or aspirations for life. The past 2 years I've just been surviving and saving money.

I'm skilled at general office work, but I know most places prefer a degree. Hobbies would be the usual 4chin stuff, anime, vidya and anything /k/ related.
>>
Well, you'll probably need a degree down the road. It sucks balls but that's the way it is. If you don't have a specific career that you want to get into you should at least start working on your AA or AS at a local community college. If nothing else comes out of it fine but at least you have some sort of education under you. It should be relatively inexpensive and it being a community college and it being 2016 they should be relatively flexible for the common courses.

Don't quit your job by any means, keep saving and stashing. Remember, 6months emergency fund and no debt. Try to work in some classes. Two or 3 a semester including summer should have you done in 2 years-ish.

Try to ditch the anime/vidya nothing good will ever come of it. Manga is fine. If you can but haven't already you should've gotten a few guns. 9mm is fine, 1911's are for grandpa's. You should have at least 1 pump action shotgun btw. Wood furniture. Go clay shooting and get gud. It's a good thing to know how to do and is relatively easy to get newcomers to guns into since it seems sporty and nonintimidating.
>>
>>16945489
I think school is mostly out of the picture, mostly because of my motivation to do so and also because I was homeschooled my whole life and I doubt I could handle a real classroom.

I'm mostly talking survival/doing something adventurous to help me think more future-wise. I won't get into the details, but I'm severely depressed and have been for about 4 years, so all of this is mostly just because I've been in a comfortable bubble for the past 3 years just living and home and working my easy, but shitty job 5 days a week.

As for guns, I have plenty already. If it weren't for that I'd probably have closer to $17k saved. 2 ARs, Moss 590, CZ75 and a Nugget (of course).

I'm just stuck in a bubble of not wanting to be productive in any way. I don't want to turn this into a depressed 20-something thread like the rest of /adv/, I'm just trying to figure out a realistic way to survive.
>>
>12k in the bank
>whining about "muh motivation, muh can't handle a classroom, muh adventurous"
kill yourself, you privileged brat.
>>
>>16945500
>privileged

I haven't had a single thing handed to me pretty much my whole life except for a place to live. I pay for everything else in my life, food, my car, etc.
>>
>>16945493
>I think school is mostly out of the picture, mostly because of my motivation
That's fine, it's as valid reason as any other. I just threw it out there because I'm trying to think as practically as possible.

>I'm mostly talking survival/doing something adventurous to help me think more future-wise
I haven't done it because I'm not able to financially and with scheduling but you could always take a week or two and go somewhere far away like alaska and just bum around for awhile. It might give you the different perspective you need.

>As for guns, I have plenty already.
Well that's fine, you could always try to get into competitions like IDPA. May be useful for networking and, again, getting different perspectives.

>I'm just stuck in a bubble of not wanting to be productive in any way. I don't want to turn this into a depressed 20-something thread like the rest of /adv/, I'm just trying to figure out a realistic way to survive.
I know the feeling well. Unfortunately, I don't have much in the way of a solid response. It's why people are obsessed with school and work. It's literally most of your life right there. Very few are adventurous enough or financially well off or even skillful enough to start a business or something.

What it comes down to is that you need a higher purpose to strive for. A dream that is just close enough to be reachable and believable but far enough that it will occupy you for some time(for most people, again, it's education). The downside of it is that if you ever do reach it you'll be back at square one and it's why so many are lost after they leave the educational system.
>>
>>16945517
Your last paragraph just reminds me of all the times I've tried to get more /fit/, get a gf, find "God", etc. I really did dig myself into a hole with the expectations I set up for myself as to what my life would be like at this point.

I'm thinking just renting a room somewhere for about $500 a month and just proceeding to save money.
>>
>>16945533
Your call although saving money while renting is paradoxical seeing as how you live at home but it will no doubt help you grow and may give you the different mindset you need.(whatever anyone says when you're at home you will be treated as somewhat of a child and that stunts you mentally).

But yeah, the saying life is what you make of it is definitely true. You can complete all the education, "life goals" like marriage kids, etc but at the end of the day there really is no right or wrong answer.

It's what you believe in and are willing to work towards without the expectation that something is waiting on the other side. It's sort of like that bullshit lie of the work/life balance. You're life doesn't start and end when you clock in and out.

Everything you experience IS your life.
>>
Buy a hose in Mexico . A house that would usually cost you 500k in America cost around 45k in mexico
>>
If you got 12k, then do what ever the FUCK you want. File a Leave of Absences from work and get going. I don't care where or how, just fuck it and going shit-for-brains. If your job is dead-end, then it's not going to change for a long time and will still be there when you get back. And if you find where you want to be, even better
>>
>>16946879
Came here to say this as well. Quit your job, go on a trip, and find work elsewhere. Go backpacking in another country!
>>
>>16945461
Just move to a city you always wanted to go to
>>
Buy a better used car. Learn a trade. Get certified. Maybe drive for Uber. Take a vacation for a week or two. Move out of your parents' house.
>>
Look into getting an allied health job OP. I was where you were about a year ago. I've worked as a Pharmacy Tech for almost a year now. At the end of the year i'm taking all of my saved money and moving up to the West Coast. I'm depressed too and lacked the motivation. Look into getting an allied health job, work as a Pharmacy Tech or a CNA would be good too. Job security. Doesn't pay a lot but you'll always have work and if you're someone (like me) who doesn't plan on ever having kids or need a lot of money it's nice work. Plus CNAS (depending where you work) usually work 12 hour shifts so 3-4 days a week of work? It sounds awesome.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.