[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to learn how to drive a car, but my anxiety is holding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1457241620806.png (87 KB, 389x501) Image search: [Google]
1457241620806.png
87 KB, 389x501
I want to learn how to drive a car, but my anxiety is holding me back from taking lessons, and my mom refuses to teach me.

How to overcome the anxiety of lessons? There would be 18.5 hours of classroom theory, as well as nine 90-minute road lessons.

I'm not so much anxious about driving on the road as I am about having appointments and driving with a stranger.
>>
>>16942858
>How to overcome the anxiety
By stopping being a weak OP. You either want to or don't. Choose one. Stop being weak willed.
>>
Learning to drive is pretty anxiety-inducing, I know. You just need to take it one step at a time. I can't speak for the driving experiences in other countries, as I live in the US, but if you can, try to get a friend or someone you trust that has a car to help out. Practicing in unoccupied parking lots could help, as that's what a lot of my friends did. Would anything along those lines be possible for you? The key is to become comfortable with handling a vehicle.

Anxiety about operating a vehicle with a instructor won't really go away, and is pretty normal for anyone of any age.
>>
>>16942858
You have your anxieties all screwed up then senpai.

I got my license and car in November and I've already been in two close shaves that weren't my fault. First was a guy indicating when he had no intention of turning and almost slamming into my side. Second was a faggot with a trailer slamming his breaks infront of me while merging onto a freeway.

The road's a fuckin dangerous place. Full of idiots. Have to take every precaution you can or fall foul of them.

Anyway just go do it. No ones going to bite you.
>>
>>16942858

Driving instructors are usually pretty chill people. They're not going to be angry or quick to making you anxious while you're in control of a moving vehicle.

It's easy, anon. Don't think about it so hard.

>tfw it was harder to drive with own parents than the driving instructor
>>
>>16943229
What this guy(or gal) said. Remember, driving instructors ride with new drivers all the time. Several newbies a day, all day, everyday. They meet a lot of people who are, like you, very nervous about it.
>>
>>16942858

Do you have any family that live in a rural area? I learned how to drive by cruising around some empty country roads where there aren't any police or other cars, just to get used to handling on a car, staying in a lane consistently, slowing for turns, dealing with different weather conditions and visibility levels, watching for deer randomly crossing and avoiding hitting other animals, etc. That way it was pretty low-stress, and by the time I was driving on an actual town road with pedestrians and stuff, driving the car came pretty automatically. Parallel parking and tight city driving took more practice, but I think learning in the country really took the edge off.
>>
>>16943223
>indicating when he had no intention of turning and almost slamming into my side
Valid
>faggot with a trailer slamming his breaks infront of me while merging onto a freeway
Following too close. You realize you'd be at fault if you hit him?
>>
>>16943260
I was back enough yo. The problem was I looked over my shoulder and at the time my other eye was fucked up with pinkeye.

He chooses that exact second i have my head turned to slam his breaks while merging into an empty lane. I have just enough time to turn my head back and hit my breaks as hard as I can.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.