[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Small talk for confidence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_mjqgxlUsRB1r1yasko1_500.jpg (84 KB, 500x686) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mjqgxlUsRB1r1yasko1_500.jpg
84 KB, 500x686
In two months I'm moving to a new city with my job.
Aside from work I don't socialize. Zero friends and that's not an exaggeration.
Someone else's post got me thinking. You know, this is kind of an opportunity.

See I'm so shy and fucked up I can barely talk to people in public. Like even asking where something is in the grocery store I start to stutter. Can't make eye contact with waitresses. That kind of thing.

But if I was to force myself to start socializing. Just making small talk, have a casual conversation with a girl in a coffee shop and leave it at that. Don't bother getting her number or anything, just being able to fucking TALK. Same goes for other guys too.

If I freak out ti doesn't matter because in no time I'll be leaving with no reason to ever come back, so I won't ever see these people if I'm ashamed of myself.

So my question is do you have words of wisdom for just striking up conversations, get a little bit of acceptance and stop hating myself so much. I'm not expecting to go from hermit to player in eight weeks. I'm not expecting a new best friend or a one night stand... I just want to practice talking to humans like humans.
>>
>Zero friends and that's not an exaggeration.
woooww really? no friends! must be hell being you
>>
>I just want to practice talking to humans like humans.

honestly this is actually the best way to get laid, but I feel you dude.

getting out of your comfort zone is always a good idea to prompt change in yourself.

The best way to strike up a conversation with a random stranger is simply to comment on some sort of mutual experience, some sort of commonality. If you're waiting for the bus, you commiserate about waiting for the bus. If you're getting coffee you comment about needing some caffeine. If the store you're at has some awful muzak blaring in the background you ask the cashier how they can stand it. "How are you doing?" is the most basic of basics.

There's an art to it; you have to look at their body language and openness and can't just expect everyone to want to have a conversation with a stranger (and don't take a bad reaction personally).

also, try meetup.com
>>
>>16940438
>meetup.com
Thanks
>>
>>16940390
I recommend practicing talking by yourself too prior to actually doing it. I could see you opening with "i'm very anti-social can I practice talking with you" to a person or just starting off with "how are you doing?" Just remember practice makes perfect. Also if you can go to a place where people have to talk to you that helps. Like if you go to a church jut talk to a priest or something and ask to practice talking with them. They're usually pretty chill people
>>
>>16940702
Yeah I keep telling myself I'll get more active in my faith community... anyway what do you mean by talking to myself
>>
afternoon bump
>>
dat ass
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.