[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many people there still enjoy the company of their childhood/school
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
How many people there still enjoy the company of their childhood/school friends?
Why do people assume it automatically makes you a jerk if you don't?

At school I made friends only by similar interests. An insecure weirdo I was, I never opened or connected emotionally to them. Is it alright if I ditch them? Our interests don't overlap anymore.
>>
I haven't talked to anyone from high school outside of Facebook since I graduated 8 years ago. I left the country anyway.
>>
I'd say it's not a big a deal then, and I get what you're saying
I have a friend who I've known since 1 year old literally, dude and I are cool I guess, but our interests don't overlap anymore much, all he does is drink, rap (srs), party, get in trouble with cops. I think I'll always have some level of loyalty with him specifically because he's like a brother, but even then I just can't hang out with the dude that much, I don't enjoy drinking much anymore, he doesn't enjoy lifting like I do, he's constantly in trouble with the law because he does dumb shit all the time, he has no goals or drive to do anything in life but be a badass thug rapper. I'm finished surrounding myself with low life's, you are who you hang out with, and I want better for myself, I want success, money, to go to school, the whole 9 yards.

So especially for guys I've known since like middle school which is still a really long time, most of them just seem like low lives. Maybe it's my shit hometown, who knows.
>>
>>16937493
This is one of those situations in which either choice - keeping up with old friends or moving beyond them - is perfectly normal and there is no right and wrong.

Most childhood friendships are friendships-of-proximity. That is, you play with the kids who live next door. That pattern continues through your teens - friends are people in your class or clubs or teams, and that external connection is the main thing holding together people who might otherwise have different personalities or tastes.

When that connection is broken - when you graduate or move away, say, - it is very common to discover that there isn't much else holding you together. Meanwhile you are likely to make new friendships-of-proximity at college or on a job.

Despite this, some people do keep up with old friends, and that's very nice. But it is no more "right" or "normal".
>>
>>16937493
>Why do people assume it automatically makes you a jerk if you don't?
Never heard of that.
I stay in contact with a lot of friends from high school and a couple from childhood, and people I met after those times are generally impressed that I've managed to stay in touch with people from so long ago.
>>
>>16937493
>childhood friends
Two are dead because of drugs, three moved from here.

>school friends
Most of them became retards that all they do is going to gym and drinking until they puke on nightclubs.

>highschool friends
A bunch of DUDE WEED LMAOs, two of them are married, I'm dating one of the girls.

And good riddance to all of them.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.