[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a better musician when I'm high. Help?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
I've been playing piano for probably 12 years. Without classical training, I've been super insecure about my ability to play--I usually improvise, and it's usually kind of "meh".

But when I'm high, all that goes down the drain. I am fucking unstoppable. Every idea I have shoots itself out of my brain and onto the keys without me even thinking about it. My inhibitions go way down and I don't care enough about playing "wrong" notes--and as a result, I play nothing but right notes. My nerves completely fucking disappear--I even hopped into an dope impromptu scatting session (I can't scat. Not sober, at least).

My question is this: there's got to be a way to break down those barriers of sobriety without actually being intoxicated, right? I'm horribly afraid that I'll only ever be a good musician when I'm high. How can I take steps toward reaching that state of don't-give-a-fuck without drugs (if at all possible)?
>>
couple of comments:

do you ACTUALLY sound better while high? As opposed to just thinking you do? Try and record yourself playing to make sure.

As to how to get rid of inhibitions, there's only one way: just man the fuck up and do it. Pretend you're confident, if you need to

What drugs are you doing btw
>>
>>16935625
Nothing heavy at all, just weed. Usually smoked, sometimes I fuck with edibles.

I've recorded myself twice now, both times I'm doing exactly as well in the recording as I thought I was in the moment. People also seem more eager to come up and praise my playing when I'm high.
>>
>>16935603
This is honestly a hard fix. Suppressing your inhibition is a skill in and of itself that you have to practice.

My honest recommendation is to sit down at the piano sober, and just play. Don't think. Don't judge. Just play and listen. It's not going to change over night. Hell, it might even take a couple months to hear a difference. Think of young kids when they're learning language. They'll use improper grammar, screw up tenses, and whatnot, but eventually, those things get corrected passively as time goes on. Same thing here. Just play sober, and practice not thinking. Eventually, your hands will do all the thinking on their own
>>
>>16935603

>the aspiring musician who swears he is better when drunk/high

How's high school OP?
>>
File: 1431755974334.jpg (929 KB, 2560x1576) Image search: [Google]
1431755974334.jpg
929 KB, 2560x1576
>>16935603
Hey OP im the same way, what kind of stuff do you play? drop some vocaroo on us
>>
File: 1433137922362.jpg (15 KB, 175x231) Image search: [Google]
1433137922362.jpg
15 KB, 175x231
>>16935680
laughing so hard at this thread right now
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.