[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have been working in a Family Dollar store for a year and a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: irl.jpg (214 KB, 746x718) Image search: [Google]
irl.jpg
214 KB, 746x718
I have been working in a Family Dollar store for a year and a half, I knowledge that im not the best worker but at least I try. The thing is that some people told me that I could promote myself to Assistant Manager. The problem is that I feel I couldn't keep with the work and then I would be fired. Also the pay difference is not too big and is too much responsibility for that low payment. Also It doesn't help that the store is placed on the worst area of my city, If I could move to another store I might consider being an Assistant Manager.

The other thing is that I need to start to make more money, so I can live by myself but I don't know what to do, I don't know if I should look for another job with better pay, have two part-time jobs or be an A.Manager. I know that being an A.Manager could help me in the future when im looking for other jobs in the future. At the same time Im in College and I will have a lot of years being there (im taking one class by semester) and im still on E.S.L classes.

What I can do? I tried to explain as much as I can but if you need more background information just ask.
>>
Go for the assistant manager. managerial experience is fantastic and really pads your resume whenever you graduate college. Just do it until you graduate or for 3 years, whichever is longer, at least.
>>
>>16934705

manager experience at fast food and stores like a dollar tree are essentially useless. at best they can help you get 'shift manager' position at another fast food or shitty store.

start applying for jobs in your spare time. apply for anything that can interest you, but imo you should aim for a full time office receptionist gig. you wont get one asap, but hold out and keep looking and you'll get picked up at some point.

i lied on my resume to get a receptionist gig, now i manage the entire (Small) business.
>>
learn stock market on free time
>>
>>16934852
What you need to be an a receptionist? also I have problems with my accent, so phone calls can be kinda challenging.
>>16934853
I was thinking about that the other day, where I should start or what I should do.
>>
>>16934897

>accent

sexy, what kind? yeah that can be an issue getting into any office. perhaps look into human resources though, those jobs are easy to grab and you can take really basic classes to get that education.

>what you need to be an a receptionist

litearlly nothing, its entry level office work. most people go to restaurants and stores cuz you see them. you dont really go to offices often. but go to craigslist, look at their office type sectiosn in job postings and apply to every job you can daily that says 'entry level'. keep going and eventually someone will pick you up
>>
>>16934705
The only thing the A.manager at a dollar general does is open the store an maybe an extra few hours it's nothing special and it won't help with any future work
>>
>>16934900
Spaniard accent, some people don't understand me or some words can be confused with others and I have some mistakes with a couple of words. also if someone says a word that I never heard before im completely lost, sometimes also happens that I might know the word but I never heard before so in my mind it has a different spelling.
Otherwise my accent is pretty fun to hear.

>>16934903
Well, you also have to manage money, hiring, give orders, watch thefts, schematics, cycle count, delivers, etc.
>>
>>16934705
Sam is that you?
>>
>>16934705

I can't really give you a "do this or do that" answer without understanding fully how your financial situation is, or exactly how much more this is going to pay.

Here's what I'll tell you about my personal experience with retail management, and why I wouldn't do it, especially still in college.

It's rough on you, and not because it's hard. It's just a lot of busy work. The company sets you up not to fail, but so much so that a monkey could do it. It's very thankless, but at the same time, you have the responsibility to stick around if something goes wrong. It's not "shift's over, time to go home," but "fuck, I need to sit here and deal with this now whether I'm being paid or not." Or deal with difficult customers. Or be accountable when the register comes up short, or someone steals something.

All of this isn't worth it for a meager pay raise. I'll say this, up until my current job (in corporate for a fortune 500 company), I never worked as hard in my life or felt as miserable as I did managing an Abercrombie & Fitch, and I honestly loved that job before I became a manager.

If you can hold out with your current salary or find something more relevant to your major, I highly recommend it. And like >>16934852 said, management positions in this kind of gig only really get you set up for more shitty management positions in retail/fast food. Most of the people I worked with over those years never left the industry.
>>
>>16934978
>It's rough on you, and not because it's hard. It's just a lot of busy work. The company sets you up not to fail, but so much so that a monkey could do it. It's very thankless, but at the same time, you have the responsibility to stick around if something goes wrong. It's not "shift's over, time to go home," but "fuck, I need to sit here and deal with this now whether I'm being paid or not." Or deal with difficult customers. Or be accountable when the register comes up short, or someone steals something.

This is my main issue and you explained better than me.
>>
never agree to get "promoted" when you are working a bullshit job in retail/customer service.

its bullshit and never worth the modest raise. just do what you and be the best at that.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.