[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Graduate School
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 3
File: babbysfirstlatex.png (71 KB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
babbysfirstlatex.png
71 KB, 2550x3300
I think I want to go to graduate school, but don't know where to start.
I want to give a little background of myself so that I can get some advice, please.

I went to a UC and graduated in 2011 with a philosophy degree and a mediocre GPA. I basically wasted my undergrad.
Fast-forward to Spring of 2013, when I started taking computer science classes at a local community college. Over those two years I found that I enjoyed programming and CS. I find it sometimes difficult, but also interesting and rewarding. I *did not* walk through it like a breeze - my success (3.9+ GPA, 17 classes from the CS department) largely comes from hitting my head against metaphorical walls over and over again. There were so many times where I got stuck on problems for hours or days. Not all of this stuff came to me easily, but I liked it enough that I kept trying until I got it.
I volunteered as a teaching assistant for most of those two years and tutored many fellow students. I even got to make lecture materials and give a lecture (multiple times) about boolean operators and conditions to beginning CS students.

I heard that if I want to do grad school, the master's degree comes before the phd. If that's true, then phd aside, how could I set myself up to get into a master's degree program in CS?

There's one more thing I should mention. My math is behind. I took and passed a 3D graphics class without taking Linear Algebra, so I am capable, however my knowledge isn't even up to par with calculus. I'm not afraid of math, just very behind. The more I study CS and programming, the more interested I become in math.
>pic unrelated, taught myself LaTeX today
>>
File: gre_math_2.png (89 KB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
gre_math_2.png
89 KB, 2550x3300
Made another LaTeX image
>>
>>16928689
Okay so first of all, you need to take the necessary math prereqs, even if it's just at a local community college.

And second, no, it's technically not necessary to get a masters before a PhD, but this is because very qualified students can apply to PhD programs in which you obtain your PhD and your masters along the way (basically by writing a thesis 2 years into the program) or just getting your PhD, no masters.

General info for getting into a master's degree program in CS? Look up prereqs for multiple schools. Also, many good universities offer online masters. I know USC does. The best advice I have, besides searching the prereqs and getting those done, is to meet with an advisor from a nearby university to talk about what you have accomplished and what you still need to accomplish in order to be a valid candidate for a program. A departmental advisor for the university knows the requirements for their programs and can give you a push in the right direction, and might also be a valuable asset if you follow through and then later apply to that particular university.

Good luck, anon. The fact you are a hard worker means much more than being naturally gifted at the subject, especially in an experience-driven field like CS.
>>
File: out.png (7 KB, 352x208) Image search: [Google]
out.png
7 KB, 352x208
>>16929332
>>
>>16928689
>how could I set myself up to get into a master's degree program in CS?
>philosophy degree and a mediocre GPA

Pick a school, see the requirement of the department. I think you have more chance to be admitted into a course work master program than a research Master/PhD program (which often come with scholarship and stipends).

The likely requirement for people without background in CS will involve some test(s), like GRE or GATE i'm not sure, I know that for math it would be Gre math subject test .

>My math is behind
Preparing for the test above should also fix this issue, since that's the reason they require the test for people without CS background to begin with.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.