[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alcoholic to Moderate Drinker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: graphics-alcohol-630122.jpg (30 KB, 284x400) Image search: [Google]
graphics-alcohol-630122.jpg
30 KB, 284x400
Hi /adv/, I'm an alcoholic. For the past two months though, I've been completely on the wagon - no booze, along with a diet. I'm in great shape now, so that's cool. The diet is coming to an end soon though, and I'm going to be drinking again. I can't really stop drinking due to the nature of my job and our vendor relationship meetings, nor do I want to, honestly. I greatly enjoy drinking and have been a functional alcoholic my entire adult life.

What I would like to do is moderate how much I do drink, so I need help on potential strategies. There's so many excuses out there to drink, and when you really want to, easy to accept those reasons. Has anyone had any success in cutting down their alcohol intake?

My biggest problem is having a hard time stopping once I start. A plan to have one or two beers suddenly turns into "well, one more can't hurt..." which turns into my inhibitions being lowered and saying "fuck it, this is awesome, let's keep drinking!"

Any thoughts?
>>
>>16935450
>Has anyone had any success in cutting down their alcohol intake?

I try and it works some of the time.

>don't take credit/debit cards to the bar. Only take what you want to spend in cash. When it runs out you are done.
>it is never 5 o'clock anywhere. Hold off on having the first one until 1-2 hours before bed. Less time to drink means less drinking
>not having alcohol around the house helps to not drink.
>3rd shift prevents me from drinking because I can't drink before work and I go right to bed when I get home.
>>
>>16935467

Interesting thoughts. The cash idea is interesting, but I also don't like to carry cash, so it might be a no-go.

I do plan on keeping most alcohol out of the house. Maybe a 6 pack (but no more at a time) for guests/a particularly rough day, a nice bottle of wine or two if a girl comes by, and the nicer bottles of liquor I've kept around mainly for events.

I can't change shifts or totally adhere to the timeline before bed, but still, good start.
>>
Have you considered stopping at 2 beers?
>>
>>16935480

Like I said, stopping is hard, since my inhibitions are lowered. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to try to stick to things like that, but I know myself. Ultimately the hope would be to limit the days I drink, or something like that.

The last time I tried this, I was sticking to drinking three times a week, but football started and I switched to drinking four... then five, and then just said fuck it and started drinking 10+ beers a day again.
>>
>>16935480
quitters never win, anon
>>
>>16935450
You have to decide if you can drink moderately or not. If you can't, you have to stop. You say, "I can't for my jooooob!" No job requires that you drink on the job. Why? Because that's illegal. Requiring you to intoxicate yourself on the job is very illegal. So don't hand me that bullshit excuse.

If you need to stop, you stop.

As far as how to moderate it, why don't you only have one and accept the fact that it's going to make you sad. YOU choose to have more than one. That's all you because you want to "like totally feel good yeah!" like you're still in college. Just stop. If you need to drink for work, open one and sip on it the entire time you need it. Then put it down unfinished.

It's called setting up your environment to succeed. If you can't drink in moderation, then don't drink.
>>
>>16935549
When part of your job requires you to attend dinners or social functions with high value clients, management, politicians, ect having a drink or 2 at a minimum is part of the job. Admitting you are an alcoholic and can't drink makes you look bad.
>>
>>16935827

This guy absolutely gets it. If it weren't for the fact that I could tell people I was on this diet to get in shape and have subsequently lost 22 lbs, people would be questioning why I need to put down the bottle and can't just loosen up and have some fun.

That is my life and the best way for me to put bread on the table.
>>
>>16935827
then don't admit you're an alcoholic. don't drink at functions. tell them you don't drink anymore because
>too many calories
>against your beliefs
>gave it up for lent
>allergic to alcohol: yes some people are allergic to alcohol, look it up
>if questioned by someone who has seen you drinking at past events, tell them you kept having these weird breakouts after drinking and your doc said it was an allergy

nobody in their right mind, or even their wrong mind, is going to demand that you endanger your health or go against your beliefs. seriously, what are they gonna do? stand up and go "HEY EVERYBODY ANON HERE SAYS HE'S ALLERGIC TO ALCOHOL. LOOK AT HIM AND LAUGH"?

you just gotta decide what's worse, telling a white lie or two, or watching your life go down the shitter?

also didn't you already make a thread about this a few weeks ago?
>>
>>16935895

I may have made a thread similar to this last year, but not in the past few weeks, no. I do think I saw something similar but that's kind of what inspired me to post this.

I also drink with coworker at these connections. They're not just functions. Coworkers will see through these reasons, as they've worked with me for a year and know I enjoy my alcohol.

No one is going to embarrass me, but it is going to make these meetings more awkward. I can't decline all business happy hours and suggest we go mini golfing or something, it doesn't work that way. And you build less of a bond with these people if you sit there and sip on water or soda and don't loosen up with them.

I'm guessing you haven't worked in an industry like mine before, which isn't something that's a bad thing, it's just hard to give advice on that specific topic. Drinking for work is going to be a part of my life until I leave the industry/the city I'm in, and that is non-negotiable.
>>
>>16935895
>against your beliefs

Makes you look like a Muslim

>gave it up for lent

1 week left for that excuse

>allergic to alcohol: yes some people are allergic to alcohol, look it up
>if questioned by someone who has seen you drinking at past events, tell them you kept having these weird breakouts after drinking and your doc said it was an allergy

They will remember all the times you got shithammered with no ill effects.

Most salesmen and businessmen in general are functional alcoholics. Drinking is part of the culture and you will be shunned if you don't participate. Cut it out at home and stick to beer if possible at events.
>>
>>16935915
>>16935930
Then tell them you're trying to lose weight or something. How are you a salesman/marketing person yet you can't sell people a line to literally save your own health?
>>
>>16935973

If you read the OP: I just did this for two months. I have used this excuse for those two months. When I am done with my diet, people will be expecting me to jump back into the fray and drink at whatever we're doing.

Again, I actually ENJOY drinking, so I don't want to stop forever. You're fighting a losing battle here, I am going to continue drinking at work based events and in other cases.

I would like to drink less, but not abstain.
>>
Have you thought of attending an AA meeting? I now it might sound ridiculous to you, but I started attending NA meeting last November for substance abuse. They arent really about teaching you how to moderate your drink and how to be a social drinker, but they act like more of a brotherhood. You get a chance to get a lot of shit off your chest that otherwise you might never be able to. The only reason I still go is because it actually helped me in ways I thought that maybe a psychiatrist could. It might not be for you however, but it doesn't hurt to try. AA meeting are open for anyone who wants to walk in, sit down and listen. I hope you get better man
>>
>>16936072

Thanks for the kind words, but I've tried AA and it didn't work for me. I'm not religious, and not in a dark enough place that it makes sense... I don't really have a rock bottom moment. There's not much I'm looking to get off of my chest that I'm not comfortable saying to people in my life.

Happy to hear it helped you though, always happy to hear someone working to conquer their demons.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.