[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys Poor fag here. I have a great love for knowledge. But
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Inca_MainMap3_sg.jpg (825 KB, 990x1140) Image search: [Google]
Inca_MainMap3_sg.jpg
825 KB, 990x1140
Hey guys Poor fag here. I have a great love for knowledge. But I don't have enough funds to attend a college, and I don't feel like being in debt to the government a majority of my life. So my question to you is, how can one study a subject on ones own accord? Say I want to study history/philosophy how would I go about that besides reading novels? Would I read textbooks? How would one go about getting those, etc...?

Basically I want to go to College/University but limited funds so i cant. But I don't want to lose out on learning
>>
>>16933366

if you dont intend to use the knowledge for anything particular, just for yourself, than learning is literally whatever you want it to.

textbooks are good, you can get them online im sure. i like textbooks cuz unlike a regular book they do have those questions at the end of each segment, and while you dont actually have to write an answer like in homewokr, reading hte questions and thinking about the answer is a godo way to cement it in your brain. i find saying things out loud helps commit to memory more as well.

textbooks tend to be general, so maybe for the first year by a generic history of the world textbook and get through that.

then perhaps highlight your favorite parts of history to study, go online and see what resources oyu have. spend a year on each and every place you wanna learn about. listen to podcasts while you do other stuff to help elarn even more (unfortunately inca and other meso/south american cultures dont have any really good podcasts. found one weird guy who narrated a book on youtube but kinda hard to hear)

i love history, but i dont really like to read, so tried podcasts, but my favorite subject is those south american cultures, and there arent any reallllly indepth podcasts that can tell you every little detail from start to finish. i intend to start books again soon.
>>
>>16933366
>>16933376

also, go to netflix and look for documentaries. go to torrent sites and look for documentaries. get a DVR and record documentaries. buy documentaries. go to youtube and type in history of XX documentary'

and do that. learning is whatever you need it to be mate. philosophy you have less stuff with, books help, but philosophy is largely discussion, so you might want to talk to other people.

also while you cant really be a part of a class you can audit. im not entirely sure what the ins and outs of auditing is, but from what TV tells us, you attend class for free, you just dont get any of the perks like a degree or grades or whatnot. you can just attend lectures i think. not sure hwo REAL that is, but google it and see what local universities / colleges offer.
>>
Watch documentaries and visit museums.

And obviously, Wikipedia is your best friend.
>>
>>16933376
>>16933380
Jesus Christ, thank you so much!

Seeing it in words makes me wonder why I didn't find it this easy lol, i will look online for sure, I do it all the time. I just never thought to look for text books for some reason.

Now that part about Philosophy and discussion is difficult, due to nobody i know wanting to talk about anything other than celebrities and movies. but I'll continue my search so to speak.

Also, that kind of sounds like just sneaking into classes and hoping the proff doesn't notice. Sounds easy enough. But I will definitely look into colleges/universities that allow it.
>>
>>16933405

im pretty sure places allow it to some degree, so dont worry. the only problem is that its not night courses really, as those are specific profit machines, so they could interfere with daily life.

as for philosophy, it doesnt have to be in real life. type in 'philosophy forum' or 'philosophy discussion' and see what happens. go on craigslist and make a post in teh discussion section asking to meet in person to discuss over drinks. see what happens
>>
>>16933366
are you of peruvian descent?
>>
>>16933412
I like you anon. You're a good guy
>>
>>16933416
Nope, just a canadian
>>
>>16933419

no problem mate. i hope you have fun. ancient history is awesome.

if you wish to dedicate yourself, consider starting your own history podcast based around meso american empires. you can get some legitimate hardcore history books, plot out your progression through their history, and i could listen to it.

i really hate reading
>>
>>16933424
I will friend, I have to agree with you.I just might do that, once I've studied a bit more that is lol.
If I do, I'll post it here (or a thread you're more likely to visit)
>>
>>16933472

good luck man! enjoy. i needs more history podcasts so i can learn in my sleep.
>>
>>16933483
Thank you again anon! See you around, friend.
>>
you're making the correct decision poorfag! why go to school to get a degree in history/philosophy to only be qualified to be a barista and a poorerfag!? start working now and you can be that liberal arts major's manager.

as for auditing, any intro level class at a university isn't going to have attendance so you just show up. sometimes the courses on coursera are better and can be done from the convenience of your home, so you might look into that. It's free if you're a poorfag.

I would consider learning some math while you're at it. quantitatively math majors and philosophy majors on the same level when it comes to basic analysis, but math is emplyable, while philosophy ain't.
>>
>>16933500
>quantitatively math majors and philosophy majors on the same level when it comes to basic analysis
Granted the phrase "basic analysis" is pretty vague, as someone who double majored in math and philosophy I don't understand how anyone could think this is even remotely close to correct. The thinking you have to do for upper level math classes is completely different from anything you would do in a philosophy major outside of maybe a high level logic class but even that's fairly far removed and most schools don't do too much pure logic for philosophy.
>>
>>16933366
Two words that have been the backbone of poor-person education for generations:

Public Library
>>
>>16933366
If you want to study mathematics just want to let you know that ebooks alone are more than enough to get you to an equivalent level of graduate school mathematics, which if you enter you will find out that it's mostly independent work anyway. Too bad I don't think other fields have the same readily available materials.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.