[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't think my dog will make it /adv/ I'm still
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 17
File: Bud.jpg (142 KB, 489x651) Image search: [Google]
Bud.jpg
142 KB, 489x651
I don't think my dog will make it /adv/

I'm still clinging onto hope that he's still recovering, I went to the vet to visit him, he recognized me, but he's so worn out, he can barely lift his head. Its such a contrast compared to how lively he was just a few days ago. Its so hard to see him like this, and he means a lot to me, he's been there through a lot of tough times growing up.

I've asked to keep him on watch until tonight and early tomorrow morning to give me some time to think.

I don't know if I should bury him in a quiet place by the sea, or cremate him and keep him next to me, its so hard to type this out.
>>
Losing a dog is always hard, but the companionship and love they provide sticks with you forever and shapes you into a better person. Even in death they prepare you for the future by toughening you emotionally for whatever lies ahead of you.

Cheesy maybe, but there's not much else to say. Losing a dog is always shit but you'll feel better in a few weeks. Just remember feeling like shit right now is the norm and it's not something insurmountable that will hold you back, it's a part of life that most people go through and you'll be better for it in the end. And your dog too, seeing as he's suffering.
>>
No one is ever ready for death. It's just a reminder that life is fragile and because of that we can appreciate it. I'm not saying he's going to die, but if he will then you should just accept the overwhelming sadness and cry your eyes out for a couple of days. Give yourself the time and rest that you need in order to recover, but don't let it eat you up because that's no way to honor your dog. Try to remember the times your dog made you happy instead of focusing on his suffering.

I'm not really the best at giving advice, but I saw this thread with no replies and no person deserves to go through this alone, and I just couldn't go to bed without trying to give you some advice that helped me through a similar situation. Just so you know that it really does get better with time.

After you're done mourning you can always consider getting a new pet. Your memories of your dog will always be there, so it's not like you're replacing him. It's just difficult to live without a pet when you're used to it, so don't feel guilty about it. It's just a way of conducting your love towards another being, instead of keeping it all inside.

I'm going to bed now. I hope your dog will get better, and if not then wish him good luck on his next journey for me.
>>
File: bud board.jpg (3 MB, 1859x2690) Image search: [Google]
bud board.jpg
3 MB, 1859x2690
>>16925768
>Just remember feeling like shit right now is the norm and it's not something insurmountable that will hold you back, it's a part of life that most people go through and you'll be better for it in the end. And your dog too, seeing as he's suffering.
Thank you for your kind words, I'm starting to get to that stage where I have to accept I might lose him, the inevitability is just sorrowing I think.

>>16925820
Thanks anon, I'm awfully alone without my dog, I just miss someone being at home when I arrive from work. I might consider getting a rescue dog from the pound once this blows over, but I do feel guilty thinking about it so early on.

Im thinking to have him cremated, maybe get a pendant with a bit of his ashes, He always travels with me everywhere, so I think its more symbolic than anything.

I'll wish him luck for you anon.
>>
File: Bud 4 months.jpg (33 KB, 825x439) Image search: [Google]
Bud 4 months.jpg
33 KB, 825x439
>>16925857
>>
I'm sorry about your situation anon, and your dog is very cute
>>
My dog died January of last year. I have thought about him every single day since. The pain lessens, but it never completely goes away. People who know me describe me as a robot (INTJ here), but sometimes, when I am alone, I will still break down and cry thinking about him. Truth be told, however, I wouldn't have it any other way because it's reassurance I will never forget him.
>>
>>16926164
Do you have any advice anon? how do you cope?

Im gonna head down in about 20 mins to deliver the injection.

>>16926089
Thank you anon, he was a lovely companion all of these years.
>>
I finally did it, after 11 years I put down my best buddy

Im going for a drive, thanks for all your support in this thread and the other one. I appreciate it greatly.
>>
File: 20160317_183922.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160317_183922.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>16926684
>>
>>16926684

This thread is too real, anon.

I wouldn't feel bad about getting another dog. Don't think of it like replacing him, as you can never replace an animal with another one, it just doesn't work like that.

Think of it like getting another dog because you had such a good experience with him. He would understand.

Dogs are better people than people.
>>
File: 24330.jpg (532 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
24330.jpg
532 KB, 1600x1200
>>16926684
I remember your thread from yesterday, and was keeping you and your Bud in my thoughts. I'm so sorry he didn't make it, Anon. Just remember that you did the right thing for him: you took responsibility for a tough decision, and didn't keep him in suffering. It's OK to be sad, and it's OK to cry. Just don't blame yourself, or think you did a bad thing.

Take things one day at a time, and the pain will ease, though I know you'll never forget him. Take care of yourself, my friend.
>>
>>16925732
>>>/an/
>>
>>16926684
I have been thinking of you and waiting for an update all afternoon. I really hoped for the best.
I am really sorry.

You did the best thing for him, and stopped his pain. He'd thank you, if he could.
It's fine to be sad. If you need support, we're here.
Take care.
>>
File: Bud 4 months.jpg (41 KB, 960x574) Image search: [Google]
Bud 4 months.jpg
41 KB, 960x574
>>16926699
I feel awfully lonely to be honest. My dog is what kept me company for a great deal of my teenage years and into young adulthood. I was a bit of an outcast in those years (stereotypical 4chan huh?), though things are changing, slowly slowly.

I just shared a lot with my dog I guess, I'm just missing his presence, I had to get away from the house, I was just noticing how eerily quiet the house was.

> Dogs are better people than people.
This is so true desu,

>I wouldn't feel bad about getting another dog
I might get a rescue dog from the pound, but maybe when the time is right, ill give it some time.

I'll screencap your post, its something I need to remind myself of doing and why.
When the time is right..

Thanks anon.
>>
>>16926950
You'll know when the time is right for another pet, Anon. Don't force it early, or force yourself to hold off for longer because it's more "proper". Just go when you "feel" right about it.
>>
Memory bump till 404
>>
File: 2016-03-18 01.15.59.jpg (719 KB, 1729x2891) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-18 01.15.59.jpg
719 KB, 1729x2891
>>
File: 2016-03-18 01.20.45.jpg (331 KB, 2111x1581) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-18 01.20.45.jpg
331 KB, 2111x1581
>>
File: homer.jpg (295 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
homer.jpg
295 KB, 1920x1080
>>16926939
>>16926948

Thank you very much anons

Thanks for the support in this tough time, I've been going through old computer files to try and retrieve as many old photos as I can, even as far as an old mobile I had in 2005.

I would hug you in person if I could. Anons are a varied bunch, you're always there when it counts, even for people you've never met.

I've been here since 2006, and this is one of the few times when I really felt that people had my back, and you're complete strangers.
>>
>>16926684
Best of luck man.
>>
>>16927425
This is really sweet anon. Made me smile like an idiot. Feel hugged!

I wish you all the best. It'll get better, even if now everything sucks.
>>
>>16928045
From the bottom of my heart, Thank you.
>>
File: surf sunset.jpg (485 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
surf sunset.jpg
485 KB, 1920x1080
>>
Im sorry to hear Anon, your little pal is up and running in the green hills up there, having awesome steak.

Maybye he will play along with my old Welish Corgi and 2 Collies! No more pain and all happy.

I dont know if you believe in those things. I just imagine my old pals up on meadows with all the food they can eat, It makes me feel happy.
>>
>>16929638
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
>>
Put him down. Get another dog.

Adopting a new pet is seriously the best way to move on. And no, it's not "replacing". You're allowed to have more than one pet.
>>
>>16929976
Perhaps after a bit of time, but I totally agree.

The companionship is something you miss very quickly, I find.
>>
File: 1364706157903.jpg (41 KB, 426x321) Image search: [Google]
1364706157903.jpg
41 KB, 426x321
>this entire thread

Never forget the fallen

Be it man or his best friend.
>>
How are you doing, anon? Still around?
>>
>>16929901
I always cry whenever I read that.
>>
>>16930577
Yeah, almost 30 hours in. I got some sleep but just barely.

I was left in charge of what happened to him (we all had different opinions) so opted for a cremation so I spent a couple of minutes over the phone organizing, it was a difficult phone call to make.

I was resisting the temptation to actually go to the vet again and see my dog for the last time before he was collected by the crematorium staff.

I chose not to, primarily because I wasn't sure how I'd would handle it.
I thought that it would've been rather selfish because my family went to the vet to say our goodbyes, I felt it would be wrong to go back again, It would have ruined it I think.
More-so I can't look him in the eyes, he was so wide-eyed, cheerful, cheeky and happy until his last two days, I just watched that enthusiasm disappear into a state of sad helplessness and depression (he was largely immobile when found, even ants were starting to crawl over him) then that sad depressed state into a blank lifeless gaze one the euthanasia was complete, save for when the family arrived for the last time, he tried so hard to get up, but just couldn't.

I think seeing him again would have just been devastating.

Other than that, everyone is handling the grief differently, My Father rediscovered the note I left for him to check up on the dog before he left for work among the scrap papers, I think he feels a bit guilty.

My Mother has been a bit of a mediator, she checks up on the both of us.

I went for a drive half way down the state with my fishing rod, my dog's blanket and leash in the back. Collected some seashells in quiet and isolated beaches, fished off a couple of small wharves in small seaside towns, visited an abandoned memorial lighthouse, places I visited previously generally, its was all eerily quiet because its a workweek.

Spent my 24th hour in my favorite lookout where I used to watch the migrations, far away from the house, the vet, everything,
>>
>>16925732
I'm sorry for your loss. Your dog looked very sweet.
>>
File: Lighthouse.png (876 KB, 1366x640) Image search: [Google]
Lighthouse.png
876 KB, 1366x640
>>16930864
cont.

Didn't have the nerve to cast his only collar into the sea.

It was about a 5 hour drive back, stopped for dinner I usually eat outside since they dont allow dogs inside, and I share my food. So I decided to eat inside it, just felt awkward.

The fan in the aircon started making whimpering sounds periodically, so I didn't stay long.

I've still got another 2 and a half days off to pull my shit together, so I'm trying to focus on that.
>>
File: 24329.jpg (653 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
24329.jpg
653 KB, 1280x1024
>>16927425
>>16930864
Glad to hear you're hanging in there, Anon. Take the time you need, and things will gradually shift back to normality (save for that one important aspect).
>>
>>16930893
He was a good dog, he meant alot to me, especially growing up, he was there through my teens, through highschool, then uni. think and thin he was there. I miss just miss him. At the start of the thread I was bargaining with myself just to have him for one week, Ill take leave from work, and we'll travel to all the places I mentioned in >>16930864, with the family. we'll pig out like old times. But he was in a bad state
so we had a unanimous family agreement, I asked the vet for their personal and honest opinion before proceeding, and made the call.

>>16930630
I wish I never read it to be honest, I don't believe ill ever be reunited with my dog, but this hits the feels.
>>
>>16930864
>>16930895

Hey anon, I'm glad you're handling things pretty much well.

You did the right choice, seeing him would have been really hurtful and it would have ruined your memory of him. Think of the joyful dog he was and remember him like that.

I am sorry your dad is feeling bad. There's probably not much that you could have done differently. My mom felt really guilty because our dog run away from her and got hit by a car, she was devastated. So I understand how your dad feels. I hope he gets better soon. Be there for him.

Take the time you need and spend time with your family before you get back to normality. You'll miss him, you'll always miss him. But things will be better.

Take care. You're not alone.
>>
File: IMG_20151208_211938140.jpg (4 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151208_211938140.jpg
4 MB, 4160x3120
>>16930911
Dog guy from before. One of the worst parts is hour no one else understand. People always ask about when I'm going to get a new dog. I don't want a new dog. I want my dog.

Pic related is his collar hanging on my weight rack in the garage. It helps me focus when I am struggling with that last rep.
>>
>>16931008
It surprises me how people can be so fucking insentitive at times.
>>
File: 1442558237891.png (62 KB, 624x513) Image search: [Google]
1442558237891.png
62 KB, 624x513
>>16930948
Thanks anon, the family is handling the grief differently. In general it isn't spoken about, So I don't know where everyone is at this point.
I don't really have an avenue to discuss it, Im just collecting photos and writing down as much as I remember.

>>16931008
I'm sorry for the loss of your dogbro. I totally understand the whole "getting a new dog" thing, I just use a comparison with them losing a human friend, sure you can make new friends, but it wont bring the old one back, you cant square a circle. sometimes it make the thought of having another pet just unthinkable.

Have you got photos of your dog? tell me bout him/her I'm interested to hear it.
>>
File: thisismydog.jpg (19 KB, 361x457) Image search: [Google]
thisismydog.jpg
19 KB, 361x457
>>16931661
Found him as a stray and had animal control pick him up. I went to check on him at the shelter and was appauled at his condition. After three weeks of jumping through hoops, they finally let me take him home. He gave me seven awesome years, and died shortly after my marriage fell apart. His death made me realize what was important in my life and howuch of a cunt my wife really was. I miss him everyday, but am glad to be free of her.

He had developed bad separation anxiety during his last few months. I bought my home gym equipment so I could stay home with him instead of going to the gym. I assembled it on a Sunday. I had a terrible feeling he wouldn't make it through the night. He didn't wake up on Monday.

He was my best friend, my brother, and my son.
>>
It's sad that dogs have such short lives.
When you're young and you lose your first pet, it teaches you a hard lesson that everyone needs to understand about our own mortality.

I had 2 dogs. A couple, and they were deeply in love. When he died she was so sad without her mate. I took her to the dog park, and tried to set her up on blind dates, but she wanted a long term relationship. So I took her around to the shelters and rescues, and that's where she met her new boyfriend, and found love again.

You can never replace anyone, when they die they are gone, but you can find another to share love with along your journey.
>>
>>16932337
What a sweet little guy, I bet he was really thankful when you took him in. And that he loved every moment with you.

I miss my 2 dogs so much...
>>
>>16932337
Seconding this >>16932454 He looks adorable, good on you for homing a stray dog. You gave him love that he could've missed out on, no doubt he would have lived a shorter and poorer quality of life on the streets if you hadn't intervened.

>He was my best friend, my brother, and my son
Well put, I honestly couldn't put it any better myself.

When did he pass away? He looks so happy and adorable in that picture.

>>16932421
>When you're young and you lose your first pet, it teaches you a hard lesson that everyone needs to understand about our own mortality

I remember when I was younger and my older cousin lost his Labrador, he was in his late teens at the time, I remember him saying that he was "2 dogs old" I think I'm starting to understand what he meant.

Have you got pictures of your dogs? stories?
I would like to hear them.
>>
/an/ is a nice board and will give you lots of good support in this kind of situation
>>
>>16925732
Fuck I love Dalmations, your dog is adorable OP.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. Losing a dog that you've had for a decade who has helped shaped your life is heart breaking.

All I can say is that you will NEVER forget him. There is a reason many password retrieval secret questions are "What is my first dog's name?"

People remember their dogs because for real "dog people" dogs are like family members. Try to remember all the good times you had, and for the love of god make sure you save as many pictures as possible.

I still have a picture of my childhood dog despite it being crinkled and faded as fuck, the picture doesn't always make me feel the same (sometimes happy, sometimes sad) but the fact it can still make me feel something after how long it has been since my first dog's death (over 15 years) exemplifies how long Bud will be in your life.

Don't allow him to die in your memories.
>>
>>16933164
Thank you anon, I just realized that 4chan had an animals board.

I noticed the thread has sort of derailed. Though hearing from other anons in similar situations is comforting.

>>16933192
Thank you anon, i've been collecting all the photos I've had of him from since when we first got him.

>I still have a picture of my childhood dog despite it being crinkled and faded as fuck
Post pic pls
>>
Hug him and hold him as he passes. Give him as much love as possible so he's able to move on in peace and happiness.

We can't stop our loved ones from passing on, but we can be there for them.
>>
As far as getting another dog, I'd be wary of jumping into a real commitment this early. Look into temporary fostering though, or even pet sitting. Having dogs in your life is a great and valuable thing, but you don't have to make a lifelong commitment to have it.

I'm not saying what you should do though, just presenting some more options.
>>
File: 1444938727242.jpg (286 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
1444938727242.jpg
286 KB, 683x1024
>>16933599
>Look into temporary fostering though, or even pet sitting

This sounds like a good idea.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.