[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>bitch at bf when drunk >apologize and quit drinking for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
>bitch at bf when drunk
>apologize and quit drinking for 3 months
>find 100 bill on the ground 2 weeks ago
>hell yea
>take my sister to restaurant
>order one mix drink and one drink only
>low tolerance gets me tipsy instantly
>happiest I have felt in 3 months
>felt like fucking freedom
>haven't smiled that much since I quit

I'd like to drink more to feel that again but haven't since the bar, and I can definitely go without drinking the rest of my life if I wanted to. But I know I won't be as happy.

Can you be an alcoholic if you're not actually addicted to alcohol?
>>
>>16925085
>Low tolerance gets me tipsy instantly
>I can definitely go without drinking the rest of my life if I wanted to. But I know I won't be as happy.

>Can you be an alcoholic if you're not actually addicted to alcohol?

I think that's the definition of an alcoholic.

I seriously like drinking as well. I've drunk well over half a thousand different beers by now, and one my favorite activities to do is just pop by breweries.

But if alcohol disappeared forever for my life, id' be sad about it, but I definitely wouldn't say I could never be as happy, or happier than when it was around.
>>
>>16925106
Damn... I don't know what to do. I just want to feel that break from life every once and awhile.
>>
>>16925085
No. Just go drink dummy why do you think everyone drinks? They like the taste? Pfft.

You literally need to be hitting the sauce to justify living to be an alcoholic. You're a long way from that.
>>
>>16925118

I'm also going to say, we're all human, and as long as you're responsible and keep it to a minimum, fuck it.

But if you seriously feel THAT strongly about it, that's sounds like it's a slippery fucking slope for you, and your will power is going to come in to question.

I'm not sure you can skirt that line, but that's up to you, and how much you value your relationships with the people in your life (who have to put up with you while you're apparently a drunken ass)
>>
>>16925122
Literally nothing makes me happier, not even my boyfriend. I feel like that makes me a bad person in the eyes of society somehow.
>>
>>16925122
>No. Just go drink dummy why do you think everyone drinks? They like the taste? Pfft.

As the anon above you:

Hi.

You need to stop drinking shit tier beer.
>>
>going without alcohol will make me never be as happy as I was with alcohol

>Can you be an alcoholic if you're not actually addicted to alcohol?

You're already fucked.
>>
Alcoholics are people who literally need alcohol to function. You just had a rough night and decided to cut back. Doesn't make you an alcoholic.

Drinking a day or two a week with someone else isn't really that bad. Drinking every night with someone or alone is a little worse. Drinking a fifth of hard liquor every night and passing out is bad.

Alcohol has varying degrees of degeneracy. Looks like you reached level 2 and decided to cut back so level 1 looked and was fun again. Trick is to not drink unless you're with someone and no more than once or twice a week. This way your tolerance is low so drinking is cheap and enjoyable.
>>
>>16925085

just because id be happier with junk food doesnt mean i need it, and could go six months with nothing but meat and avocado.

so its hard to say really. bitching at gf when drunk isnt really that bad tho
>>
>>16925146
I'm afraid of him judging me or feeling uncomfortable around me if I drink. He's uncomfortable in general around drunk people.
>>
>>16925158

say 'hey you love me right? can you give me a free pass and il ltry to keep it in check? together we can find the cure'
>>
>>16925146
>bitching at gf when drunk isnt really that bad tho

You've never had an alcoholic in your life have you?

It's pretty toxic when someone in your life constantly goes on drunken rants, where they're unreasonable, looking to pick a fight, and refuses to acknowledge that this "conversation" (which is really them just talking at you) can take place at any other time than right now.

It's fucking exhausting and soul sucking.

>>>16925158
>I'm afraid of him judging me or feeling uncomfortable around me if I drink. He's uncomfortable in general around drunk people.

That sounds like his problem.

Your problem is MAYBE this:
> I just want to feel that break from life every once and awhile.

Feeling like you need to relax and change up the pace is normal. Feeling like you need to completely escape from it and numb it, is not.

If the latter is true for you, you should probably seek professional counsel before deciding to return to drinking alcohol, because otherwise you really do risk it becoming a problem.
>>
>>16925174
Thanks for the perspective I guess I've got a lot of thinking to do on this subject.
>>
>>16925174

>you've never had an alcoholic in your life have you

on the contrary my mother is now six months sober.
>>
>>16925085
yes what you're describing is the definition of the behavior of an addict

stay away
>>
>>16925182

>being happy when using something that makes you happy makes you an addict

are we all supposed to drink to feel sad or something?
>>
>>16925186
if you need alcohol to feel/do something then you're already an addict

ofc there are various degrees of addiction, with the worst one being unable to get through the day because you'll die from withdrawal, or a mild one where you're unable to sleep unless you knock a few drinks
>>
>>16925198
Jesus Christ, what.

Get out of here, you don't know anything.
>>
>>16925198

>if you react to a drug you are an addict

thats not a thing mate. alochol is supposed to make you happier. OP never said hes not happy without it. just that hes happier with it.

thats what it does. it elevates your mood. drugs in general do this. by your own logic you should have no reaction otherwise you are an addict.

if he didnt feel any happiness without it, id understand. but thats like saying hes addicted to sex cuz 'i could go my whole life without it, but id be happier with it'.
>>
First of all, if you're an alcoholic you are without a doubt addicted to alcohol, unless youre sober (in which case i would say former alcoholic)
Alcohol can be physically addictive. The withdraws are comparable to those of heroin in terms of aversion and dangerousness but alcohol withdraws involve unpleasant hallucinations, tremors, and possibly siezures and death.
So yeah, there's more to being an alcoholic than just the mindset, but the mindset is what's going to let you allow yourself to get to that point. The fact that you say you love it more than your boyfriend and anything else is a huge red flag.
>>
>>16925130
Being 6'3 and 100kg fucking sucks I need to drink like $40 to get wasted. Why pay for fine delicately fragranced beer when it's a memes to an end.

Man I should get trashed this week.
>>
>>16925203
These fucking highschoolers man. Fucking everywhere.
>>
>>16925198
The latter isn't really an addiction but a dependence. Dependence= I can't sleep without weed
Addiction= when I don't do heroin for 10 hours my body goes into shock and I am in complete dysphoria and unable to function and want to die
>>
>>16925203
That's not an argument. Try again.

>>16925204
Reacting to something is different than needing something to perform a function. And as I said there are various levels of addiction. There are sex addictions too where people put themselves in dangerous and destructive situations to obtain it.

>>16925222
It's a spectrum. But certain personality traits and genes put you at risk. Doing a drug does not make you an addict, but increasing your dossage, requiring it in certain situations; those are red flags for a personality that would be better off without it. Psychological dependence.
>>
>>16925256

yes. but op is literally saying
>i just feel happier (emphasis on the er) when i drink

this is a normal reaction to drinking. it makes you happy.

do you not read?
>>
>>16925268
>bitch at bf when drunk
>apologize and quit drinking for 3 months

Her behavior is out of control when she drinks. That is the type of drunk that drinks more than he/she can handle.

>felt like fucking freedom
>haven't smiled that much since I quit

And I dunno call me crazy but 3 months sounds like a big timeframe to not have anything more interesting going on than a cocktail.
>>
>>16925211

I spend about that or more to get wasted too.

I don't drink to get wasted though.

I drink to enjoy my time with the people around me, and because I actually like the flavor what what I'm drinking (stouts, dirty martinis, some IPA's, the cocktails I make for myself--fucking delicious.)
>>
OP here I've pretty much been lurking while you guys debate. I think I'm not an addict but might have alcoholic tendencies so for now I'm just gonna play it safe and stay away.
>>
>>16925404

Just go see someone OP. See if you have escapist tendencies and are using the alcohol are a crutch.

If you deal with those, your danger disappears and you can drink with a clear(er) conscious (you know, as long as you try to lay off getting so blasted you start trying to drunkenly pick fights with the boyfriend).
>>
>>16925127
>Literally nothing makes me happier
Yeah no, this is the big red warning klaxon. Your biochemistry's screwy, i.e. alcoholism. It doesn't matter whether you can be an alcoholic without actually being addicted to alcohol, because you ARE at the very least psychologically addicted.

>>16925125
>I'm not sure you can skirt that line
Nobody can skirt that line, bro. AA's full of guys who thought they could skirt the line.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.