[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 18, summer's coming up, starting college next year
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: hopeless.jpg (55 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
hopeless.jpg
55 KB, 600x600
I'm 18, summer's coming up, starting college next year but I'm tired of feeling like a lazy piece of shit leech to my parents in the meantime. Graduating high school next month, want a job.

The job climate for shitty starting positions isn't just terrible in my town but I need an estimate for how hard this'll be. How hard is it to work a register, I feel like I'd easily get mixed with that shit because mentally the wheels in my mind don't work fast, how long do they train you? It's long enough to get a grip on things right?

I'm usually pretty capable I guess but something about the thought of getting up and going to work freaks me the hell out. Losing free time doesn't bother me, it's the thought of just not being capable of doing the job outright and fucking up and embarrassing myself. Anyway to ease these worries or should I just not be a bitch?
>>
c'mon
>>
>>16916282
the hardest part is getting started. not to say it's a cakewalk after that, it's not, but you'll be all right. just try some stuff out, if it doesn't work out or you feel like you can't do it, try something else. maybe start with a part time job and then once you get the hang of it, ask for full time if they offer it. or if you're doing part time but think you should try something else, maybe get a second part time job.

and everybody fucks up. as long as you're not catastrophically fucking up, or fucking up everything you get your hands on, you'll be fine. just stay calm, ask lots of questions, learn everything you can about the job, and do the best you can every day. that's all you can do.

then when you get that down, you can work on learning when you should be giving it your all and when you just shouldn't give a shit. but one step at a time.
>>
>>16916616
Thanks anon, this really helps puts me at ease.
>>
>>16916282
>How hard is it to work a register,
Not hard (obviously). If you managed to get to 12th grade, you can work a register.

>it's the thought of just not being capable of doing the job outright and fucking up and embarrassing myself
Take it from a med student, it's not possible to fuck up bagging groceries badly enough to worry about it.
Nobody dies if you drop a cucumber.

Also, depending on your chosen career path, you might want to try to do something in the field. For example, med/nursing/etc students often do EMT training, business types do internships, compsci people learn new programming languages and work on FOSS projects, etc.
>>
>>16916282
Just wash dishes.
Pay is usually better. Last place I worked was a 1/3 over minimum wage.

All you need to do is show up sober and willing to learn.
Trust me, that's it.
Dishwashing has a super high turnover rate that you just need to look like you're not high all the time and can stay employed for more than a month and they'll hire you.

Just shove your empty ass CVs at as many restaurants as you can find and you'll get one soon enough
>>
Working at McDonalds or some place like that isn't hard at all. Tedious, tiring labor? Sure, but not difficult. They literally hire uneducated negroes all the time to work there.
>>
Do does being drug and alcohol free automatically get me into good graces or something kek.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.