[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, I really screwed up. So I got in a car accident - no one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: frypanic.jpg (80 KB, 400x354) Image search: [Google]
frypanic.jpg
80 KB, 400x354
Ok, I really screwed up. So I got in a car accident - no one was hurt, just a lot of cars got damaged (5 cars involved).

So anyways, we thought we were insured, but it turns out that our insurance covers people getting injured, but not vehicle damage (confirmed this with our insurance company).

I suspect the total bill could be close to $100,000AU. Is there any people knowledgeable about insurance/car accidents who can tell me if there is any way to reduce the bill/help out?
>>
I'd get a lawyer if I were you.
>>
>>16914351
Ok so if your au then im assuming the "insurence" your talking about it the registration you pay to keep your car road legal. This coveres you in the instance of you hurting someone or yourself in a vechiular accident.
Im assuming you're young and retarded thinking that the rego coveres anything else as it states it when you receive your rego renewal.
Now
In australia if you want to be covered for PROPERTY damage, then you need at the minimum 3rd party insurence (this is the cheapest form or car insurence you can get and only coveres other peoples property) if you want your car covered aswell then you need comprehensive insurence.
Now you are fucked. Like. Hyoer fucked ... do you work ? Are you on disability? How do you earn money ?

Describe what happened in detail invloving the accident and ill do my best to find you an out. HOPEFULLY you haven't admitted fault yet.
>>
>>16914389
I have CTP - but found out that only covers if people get injured, not vehicle damage - note compulsory third party does NOT include vehicle damage (please check your own insurance too).

Car is really old so I am just writing it off (uninsured it because it was old).

Permanent full time ($50k gross p/a), no disability. Government work.

So yeah, I basically crashed into another car, and unbeknownst to me, it had a domino effect onto 4 cars in front of me. It was in wet weather, so it took longer to break. Cops came asked the story, I told them that I breaked as fast as I could, but the rain made it more slippery and therefore it wasn't enough.

I was the car at the very back of the crash, so I assumed that I would only be responsible for the person in front, but apparently I am told that the car at the very back is responsible for everyone in front.

Currently am waiting for the insurance companies quote.
>>
>>16914430
Interesting .. where in aus are you ?
Im WA.
Last time i checked you dont need to carry thrid party by defult and it is uo to the drivers discretion to carry any.
I do know that if you have a car on a loan it MUST be insured before you take it off the lot but even after that moment has passed there is no legal obligation.
I have had insurence for many years and it dosent make sence that a third party insurence wouldnt cover property damage as we have the health part covered in our vechile registration (at least in WA and NSW anyway..

It is possible you will be laiable for the damages to all 5 card although there is an argument for the fact that people are supposed to leave x distance from the person infront of them while driving... obv that distance is reduced when at idle..

Bad luck on the full time job ... you can expect to have your wages garnished inorder to pay back the insurence companys ... if it came to court that is.

Good luck to you bro. I would definatly talk to a lawyer tho ... you never know maybe you csn prove that the 3 vehicles infront of the 1 you hit were indeed too close to each other and that they should pay atleast part of the damages to the people infront of them.

For reference i had a vp commodore and my now wife was driving and we had approched a set of lights and came to a stop, when a traidie (obv drunk) had hit us at full speed in the vacck and pushed us into the car infront. We had alot of room between us (i was teaching her how to drive and i am on the cautious side) and we still mamaged to do $5k in damages to the x5 infront of us.
Although we wernt at fault we did get a call from the insurance company asking for our payment details. We informed them of the situation and then they took it from there. That was 3 years ago and i havent heard from them since.
>>
>>16914623
I'm in QLD.

Mine is a Commodore Berlina., but am not repairing car so comprehensive insurance doesnt matter here.

I thought u could get free legal advice, but apparently that is for low income earners and I'm probably more on the middle income earner, whilst my dad owns the car, who is a high income earner.

I got an big debt on an investment home and my father has a debt on his house, so its not like we don't have to pay a reasonable amount for our expenses each month too.

I hope no one is insured, then it would be great in my case, because then I'm not repairing my car.

Might come to update tomorrow with more detail.

My dad has actually offered to pay all the damage costs, and I also feel terrible for this. He saves a lot and was going to do a new house exension, but they have to put it off because of my stupid mistake.
>>
>>16914351
The bad news is that you are most definitely screwed.

The good news is that there is a limit to how much you can be screwed. They can't take any more from you than what you have, and chances are that you don't have a lot. So when all the lawsuits have been filed among all the insurance companies, you'll end up broke, but not worse-than-broke.
>>
>>16914430
Here's the facts.

CTP as you found out only covers personal injury and damage or loss sustained by a person being injured.

3rd party property insurance covers the property of people involved in an accident other than the person at fault. In other words, other people's cars and stuff.

Comprehensive covers most damage and loss including your own.

You need a lawyer. If you don't you are going to get chewed up up and spat out by insurance company lawyers who do this everyday.

If found at fault you are required to pay for the damage caused to everyone involved unless they contributed to it. They might have contributed by being too close to the car in front or by not having their brakes applied while stationary.

If the car In front of you did not have the brakes applied while stationary they've contributed to the damage in front of them. And so on down the line. They will only be partially liable, you'll still be responsible for the bulk of the cost.

If found liable your assets and income can be ordered to be liquidated to satisfy the debt. If you're a poor fag with nothing to get you may get off or be hit with an order to pay the amount back from any money you come into.

With an income of $50K and few debts you can expect to be garnisheed.

Get a lawyer. You'll need one.
>>
>>16914652
Best advice (fellow QLDer) is talk to a lawyer once you know exactly what the insurance companies want from you. Don't let them rush you, they can threaten legal action (which they likely won't unless you have 0 intention of paying up). Legal assistance can help bring down the ammount you owe an put a payment plan together if necessary
>>
>>16914652

Unfortunately all damages to the cars come under the at fault party, which is you. Anyone can keep a safe distance until that safe distance is taken away from them by someone piling into the back of them.

You also have no control of where they are repaired so pray they go to rapid repairers (cheaper repairs) and maybe if youre really nice to your insurer theyll put you on a payment plan to cover your bill.

and this is not all bullshit, i work in the smash repair business quoting damaged vehicles and dealing with insurers.

Good luck anon
>>
>>16914675
The waiting game is the worst.

Unfortunately sinces its my fathers car, he is choosing to handle most of this stuff -I'm just worried that hes going to just pay whatever the amount is just to get it all over with.

We will have to be going with paid legal advice because we both earn above low income. However, I'm not sure if my father wants to go through the hassle of getting legal advice.

Ahhh.... its just all the worry about not knowing any of this stuff that's killing me.
>>
>>16914685
Youll be fine, insurance/police/courts deal with this stuff all the time. By the way, what part of qld you from anon?
>>
>>16914652
Your properties can't be taken because they're mortgaged to the lender, but you can be forced to sell them by taking your proportion of income used to repay the loan, thus you can no longer repay and the lender will force you to sell because of changed circumstances. Same as if you lost your job.
>>
>>16914685
Yeah he can just pay whatever is demanded but there will be multiple claims so have a lawyer manage them.
>>
>>16914688
Brisbane

>>16914690
Ok, probably bring this up again tomorrow - will definitely recommend a lawer asap.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.