[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Procrastination
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
So /adv/ I need some help. I'm struggling to overcome a now-vertical wall of procrastination and need someone to find the words to turn the key in the lock.

> be me
> be 45
> be a normfag all your life, a hard-working, squarejohn corporate drone but always keen on coding, and .alt life from a young age
> be drug free all your life but now drinking more than is healthy or advisable
> be in Dubai
> be out of a job, and running out of cash and time
> be married to a wonderful, loyal, loving woman whose heart is silently breaking
> be ashamed
> be aware that INeedToFindWorkQuickly.avi
> but be so burned out and traumatised by your last job that you can't contemplate the thought of even looking for work, let alone doing it.
> be so emasculated that your mojo may never recover, let alone your zest for life
> be ashamed
> be well aware you are a fool who is so blessed with good fortune, but still unable to get going anyway
> be so desperate for the words of wisdom you need that you post on /adv/ when you are oldfag enough to be every other /adv/isors' dad
> be ashamed
> ashamed
> SHAME
> SHAME

> pic unrelated.
>>
File: mama-said-51aeaa2d5db81.jpg (555 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
mama-said-51aeaa2d5db81.jpg
555 KB, 1000x1000
shameless self-bump. I contribute to so many other threads, hope someone contributes to mine
>>
it sounds like you already know what you have to do. break the procrastination and just get going again dude. things will fall into place. even if you think you can't face the idea of finding work again, you gotta do it for your wife man. you can retire in 20 years or so if you stay on track.
>>
OP are you traumatised by that specific type of work, or just working in general?

I have a similar situation to yours - I worked a decent-paying but high-stress job and eventually burned out. I was left with severe depression and panic attacks. I had had depression and anxiety before and was working on it, but the stress of the job made it so bad that I couldn't work at all. And yes, I felt very ashamed about it.

One of the biggest things that has helped me was learning to not be ashamed. It sounds like that may be one of your biggest stumbling blocks and reasons for your procrastination - the whole situation makes you feel so terrible that you can't bear to look at any part of it.

You burned out because you are a human being and sometimes work puts people in impossible situations. It happens. Try to forgive yourself for being human. It's hard and you may have to "re-forgive" yourself if the feelings of shame come back. But you must do it.

May I ask what kind of work you were doing?
>>
I was out of the loop completely for one year. It's not easy to break the procrastinating cycle but as unhelpful as it might sound the first step is to actually take the first step. It's very simple to break the cycle, that's not to say that it's easy, yet you know full and well that once you start working towards whatever you want you'll be able to get there. One small step at a time.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.