[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So here goes. Is it possible to learn to get better at social
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: friendship.jpg (31 KB, 500x590) Image search: [Google]
friendship.jpg
31 KB, 500x590
So here goes.

Is it possible to learn to get better at social interactions and letting go of inhibitions? Has anyone here actually done it? Not a brag thread but I have hobbies and talents and practically everything I could want except I only have two close friends and social settings without either friend intimidates me to shambles unless I'm putting on an act. But if the facade cracks then doubt sets in and I sperg out and have anxiety attacks. Sometimes if I'm alone and somewhere unfamiliar I'll even speak in a foreign accent just to feel secure.

I used to play gigs and socialize and actually talk with people. I was comfortable around anyone and could work an entire room. Then some shit happened and I allowed negative people to influence my thinking and then I lost everything and most of my family died. Had to build my life up again from scratch and became this weirdo autistic shut-in. Even in face-to-face conversations, people seem to be put off by me somehow. I also way over-think verbal communication and can't seem to grasp the concept of brevity and have trouble not referring to myself. I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin again in social settings.
>>
>>16890173

>is it possible to learn to get better at social interactions and letting go of inhibitions

are you in any way implying that no one ever has? cuz if so, you are retarded. and if not, you know the answer to the question, so why ask it?

yes, people get better at social interactions. we are not born with this inherent level of social anxiety that literally never changes. you yourself go on about how you were good, then got bad. do you think it only goes the one way?

as for how to do it, just like anything you only get better by doing it. go out and talk.

>BUT ITS NOT THAT EASY

it may not be as easy as the two steps imply, but all that being said it really is just two steps. go out, and talk. people are going to be assholes sometimes. this isnt tumblr. real life isn't tumb;r. when someones being an asshole you dont talk about how lifes unfair and retreat into yourself. you say 'gee, what a dick' take a swig of your beer and go talk to someone else.
>>
>>16890215
>are you in any way implying that no one ever has? cuz if so, you are retarded. and if not, you know the answer to the question, so why ask it?
That was just a way of asking for stories from people who have overcome similar situations
>>
>>16890267

in the future ask

>has anyone here over come social anxiety or gotten better? how'd you do it?

cuz the way you word it now it sounds like you're claiming its possibly impossible and are using the thread more so to whine.

which is interesting cuz the follow up stuff is not really whiny.

all that being said, its like i originally said. the only way to get good at something is to do it. its hard, but so is my cock, and you work that great baby. you'll get through this.
>>
>>16890278
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate the advice. You're absolutely right, I just gotta get out there and do it. And yeah, I try not to be a whiner. It doesn't get you anywhere. Like you said life isn't a hugbox. You're last comment was a little perplexing but it made me smile. Cheers, anon
>>
>>16890173
drugs and alcohol man
worked for me
>>
Get a job or volunteer where interaction with the public is a must.

I had bad social anxiety for 10 years. It wasnt until i landed a job interacting with some 200 + clients a day that it eventually got better. Then you just take those same skills and use them in everyday situations.

Now if i ever get nervious when talking to someone i try to think of it as if im at work and view it as "customer service" im a hell of a lot more confident in myself now.

So like everyonr says get out there and do it.... trust me it gets easy after a short while.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.