[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ill keep this short >militaryfag >girl I've known
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 1453866100438.jpg (69 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1453866100438.jpg
69 KB, 640x640
Ill keep this short
>militaryfag
>girl I've known for 4 years wants to get married for all them military benefits
>was pretty honest about it, said that she believes it's about opportunity for the both of us
>my salary will nearly double, she'll get a place to live (getting thrown out in 3 months)
>we've never dated before, just friends
>I'm 23, she's 22
>we'd probably just live like roommates

What do you all think?
>>
>>16914065

its an iffy situation just cuz, while you do gain from the marriage part itself, you do lose if she ever decides to just be a fucking cunt and divorce you. even if you are just friends she can divorce and take half your salary later.

on the toher hand, being married means (as you said) doubling your salary. married men tend to get better consideration for everything, you get an actual house (or housing allowance) isntead of being forced to live in barracks, etc. id do it for the double pay alone, but idk. if shes in a situation where she is able to be 'thrown out' and need sthis to happen, then what happens when you decide to 'throw her out' for whatever reason and she needs to grab on to something to float? will she grab on to a divorce settlement with alimony?
>>
File: NOPE.gif (516 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
NOPE.gif
516 KB, 500x281
ahah... oh man. that's an awful idea. all of that is a shit deal and you evidently have no idea. nope. fuck nope.
>>
>>16914065
You realize she just has to stick around for a little bit then she gets to take all your shit and possibly you pay her for absolutely nothing for years and years right?

What do you get? Double salary? It's gone when she's gone, fool.
>>
>>16914091
>>16914076
>>16914071
What about a prenup?
>>
>>16914111

prenups are used to protect previously existing property.

the actual point of a marriage, legally, is that you have joint property. literally everything either one of you acquires (including cash) is both of your property.

prenups are generally used to protect wealth you've already accrued, or family properties so that someone doesnt just marry you then divorce you for your assets.

but putting in a few years with you as a husband could guarantee you a percentage of your paycheck because in the marriage you were shown to be a provider (which will very easily happen when she is married to you, living in your house, etc). even if she has a job, you can be seen as the main provider because of your better paycheck.

so either way, its a risk. id recommend making htis deal wiht someone who already has their life together. a woman who is doing well but would like to save money by living essentially rent free so she can save up to buy a house or something for herself, or pay off her debt, etc.

not someone who REALLY needs this. cuz when you meet someone who is truly waifu material and have to kick this girl to the curb, shes going to REALLY need that alimony.
>>
>>16914065

If it's her idea then you're playing her game and she's gonna use that against you when she divorces you and takes half your shit when she finds a well-paid lawyer or banker or some other richer loser to mooch off of.

>IT WUZ MY IDEA
>>
>>16914122
I own property which is pretty much the only thing I'm concerned with protecting. Losing a couple 10,000 to a divorce doesn't seem like a very bad hit.
>>
>>16914145

tell me how much you make right now. a year
>>
>>16914145

im looking at an alimony calculator and such, and there is no general rules, but this particular person refused to let the husband lose more than 60% of his paycheck.

so, a worst case scenario is you lose 60% of your pay for the rest of your life. do you really wanna take this risk on someone who apepars to be a deadbeat man?
>>
>>16914150
Including the benefits I would be making while married, it would be around 42,000 a year.
>>
>>16914160

would you be comfortable only having 16000 left over after paying alimony?
>>
>>16914162
Of course not, that would suck.
>>
dont do it op marriage isnt a joke

what if shes psycho and manipulalting u.

just fuck her and be gone
>>
>>16914145
Lose 20k to a divorce.
Lose maybe half salary for ? number of years.

What, literally, do you have to gain from this?
>>
>>16914165

thats how much they can take. it depends. it all depends. but thats what you are risking by going into this. they can take up to 60% of yuor pay if they feel she deserves it. and if she loses her job, and just lazes about because she has a free place to live (assuming she even has a job at the moment) and you dont care cuz ur busy being a military badass, or you do care but you cant do anyhtign cuz she just keeps whining about how hard it is, etc. etc.

moral is unless you keep her on a fucking leash, this can easily backfire. cuzi f she just doesnt work, and then either of you pulls the divorce papers out, she is entitled to have you take care of her pretty much.

the thing about divorces is there are no real rules. women are favored, and thats about all we know. and going to court over a fake marriage can ultimately end in your ow ndestruction cuz you cant say 'lol sham marriage' cuz you'd end up getting in major trouble, probably with the military too, so she'd have you under her thumb for that.

you'd likely risk a discharge for getting a fake marriage for the benefits, and have to agree to whatever settlement she wants. assuming the set up doesnt just steam roll over you.

this isn't 'lol maybe i lose a couple tens of thousand of dollars'. this is tens of thousand a years.
>>
>>16914065
Also, think of this: People that are madly in love and seem to be perfect for each other still have difficulty in marriages. What makes you think this isn't ending the second she realizes she can leave and profit?
>>
>>16914177
>>16914176
Is there any way to protect myself from alimony, or is it unavoidable?
>>
>>16914184

if there was, why would alimony be such a big issue? if we could just sign papers that say 'were married but lol no alimony' then no one would ever worry about divorce. ever.

id claim you are better off marrying a dude for the benefits, but honestly that'd just make your personal life more difficult.

if you want the benefits, tlak to a lady friend who is successful already, and convince her that marrying you could at the very least, help her save money. talk about a specific lease for it like 3 or 5 years.

if a woman is already working well, the kidn that likes her job, moving up in the world etc. then she will just see this as a chance to save more money + medical type benefits and what have you.

but the big redflag with your post is that SHE wnats to do this. shes getting kicked out, and cant seem to afford anything worthwhile (if at all, you STILL havent addressed whether she has a job, so im guessing no) so shes asking you to basically make sure she has a place to live.

and when divorce time comes, shes going to ask the judge to make you keep the agreement up.
>>
>>16914194
Thanks for the help. Looks like I have to do a lot more research on this.
>>
>>16914230
there is zero more research to do dude. don't do it. you will regret it. there is zero good ways to do this where you dont get reamed. you don't seem to understand how stacked the courts are against you.
>>
Only if she signs a prenub. So you wouldn't have to worry about the butch going rouge on you, divorcing you and then talking a majority of your assets as well as money. It can even drag into the future if shit really hits the fan
>>
>>16914240

prenup only protects pre existing property. everything gained (including money) is joint property, and she owns it.

divorcing her when she relied on that income (as in, lived in OPs house because of military housing) means that he needs to continue providing it for her.

thats what marriage is unfortunately. divorce doesnt change that unless she remarries
>>
>>16914065
No.
She's gonna reap all the benefits of being married to you and she's going to fuck other guys.

I wouldn't even be friends with this bitch.
>>
>>16914065
If it sounds like a retarded idea, it is. At least get a prenup if you insist on being a typically retarded Joe.

Sincerely,
Former retarded Joe
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.