[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do friends usually stick together after highschool? Mine didn't.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 384x384
Do friends usually stick together after highschool?

Mine didn't.

Our group disbanded and everyone went their seperate ways. Pretty lost right now and don't know how to start my life
>>
>>16887389
In my experience, most people stay in contact with a couple of good friends. Large groups don't usually stay together unless you all happen to go to the same college.
>>
>>16887389
Of you aren't a normie you can't really make friends after high school. If you go straight to work, no one is really friends with coworkers. If you go to college, the normies form groups within a few nanoseconds and then it's game over. You can't make friends because unlike high school, you aren't forced into proximity with the same people for endless hours on end with nothing to do, so you can't really form any bonds.
>>
>>16887389
well in my case i lost all my friends in highschool when i went to college and i went through a dark time like yours. What I did was find a job where i could get to interact with alot of people (i work for the library so i can adjust my time with people and alone time) and made close friends that way. I also started making small talk in my classes on people that seemed nice and now they've become good buddies with me that I eat lunch with whenever we're all free or something.

point is you gotta start making moves yourself instead of wallowing in self deprivation and loneliness because your group disbanded.
>>
>>16887390
>>16887390
>>16887398
>>16887407
I'm going to a school to get my diploma (community college for you guys). It's only three days a week so I've been looking for some casual work I can do while I study. There isn't much going around in terms of work. I'm mainly looking at retail or warehouse work.

We have a pretty small group at this college. There's about five of us and I don't really get along with any of them...

I've been looking for a girlfriend but it's kinda hard when you don't get out much and don't get invited to parties
>>
>>16887445
If you need to ask, it will never happen.
>>
>>16887452
Just wondering what everyone else is doing after highschool
>>
>>16887398
I don't really agree with this. I have made friends both at college and through work. Other places I made friends (only counting friends I have hung out with IRL on more than one occasion or have kept in touch with online for more than 10 years)
>chatrooms/IRC
>church/interfaith center
>Yahoo "conversations" which haven't been around for years but basically you posted your ID and what you wanted to talk about and waited for people to PM you. idk if there's anything like that now, maybe omegle is the closest thing
>hanging out with friends of friends
>Livejournal

I have also made some online friendships in more recent years in MMOs and on Facebook.

Before you go "REEEE NORMIE" I am 39 and have made an average of maybe 1 good friend every 3-4 years or so. I don't think any of these people would classify me as a normie based on all the comments I have gotten over the years about being weird.
>>
Most groups disband. I only maintained contact and remained friends with like 3 people out of 20. Even with those, I usually meet with 1 or maximum 2 every few days or so.
Once it's college, it's basically game over. Once college is over and work starts, if you still don't have a legit group of buddies, you better get used to it because work colleagues can be nice, but you won't form any bonds with them.
The way society works is not favorable for people like you and me who are not naturally sociable. If you don't get a girlfriend in college it's mostly game over unless you get lucky, but don't bet on that.
What normies do, even if they don't have many friends, is spend time with their girlfriends. Even if you're a friendless fuck, you can still hang out with HER friends. Your pool of friends basically doubles over night.
Even if both of you have zero friends, literally zero friends in the world, you still have each other and that is a pretty meaningful bond. You can marry, have a child, form a nice family. It's socially acceptable to only spend time with your girlfriend. No one bats an eye if all you do is work and spend time with gf.
Like I said, it's pretty shitty if groups formed and you're 2-3 years into college and yet no group of friends or girlfriend. You're getting out of options anon, and pretty quickly.
>>
>>16887477
Also wanted to add that I made a lot of efforts to put myself out there as well - joining groups online and IRL. I was single for a long stretch, so I made an extra effort in the hopes of either finding a partner or just making some friends to make the loneliness more bearable. In the 5 years or so since I got involved with my husband, I've made like...one new friend.

>>16887481 is pretty much right in that your opportunities for making friends do go down a lot. But they are still there, you just have to work harder for it. And sometimes you'll find having a partner fills most of your social needs, whether you hang with their friends or not. I also know that if you build up friendships with other singles while you're single, some of them will drift away when you get a gf.
>>
y'all won't get together again as a group. I had a group of 10-15 friends in high school, and I think I've met up with 3 of them since graduation
>>
>>16887389

"Groups" cease to exist once you're done with whatever held you together (school, job, living in the same neighborhood, etc) But individual friendships survive, even if you're not constantly in touch.

I still have a few friends from high school. We don't really see each other more than once a year or less, but I still consider them friends, and it's never tough to "pick up where we left off" when we have the time to see each other.
>>
>>16887389

depends on the people, but generally, no. people who dont go off to college might stick it out for awhile, but humans have decided that life is about finding ways to leave people behind in search of a romantic partner that will definitely never divorce you.

that being said, people grow and change and need to explore life. those times were great, but something isn't beautiful because it lasts. better to end things because of graduation than with an argument brought on by the fact that you've simple out grown each other.

time to make new friends buddy. go start somewhere new if need be
>>
>>16887477

mostly this. that one anon was just whining cuz hes friendless, but its not like the entire country is walking around in this friendless loop after college.

people make friends wherever they go. whether it be neighbors, or co workers, or fellow students, rando's they meet at the bus, friends of a friend of a girlfriend or what have you.

it gets a little harder as we get older and we focus more on independence. but you are never the only person in your situation. not even in a 1 mile radius. there are always other people like you looking for friends.

and if u cant seem to find friendst hrough work or school, there is always extra curriculars. join meetup.com and see what interests you an share. no matter how 'introverted' you claim your hobby is even something like 'reading' you can find a group who reads the same books and wants to meet to talk about them.

it just takes effort. i know, efforts the worst, but seriously.
>>
>>16887389
Most friend groups don't, but you can always beat the odds.

My group of friends doesn't really keep up day-to day but when we get together 3-4x a year, it's like no time has passed.
>>
You can generally get back in contact with high school friends because a lot of people still keep these bonds with them and can look back fondly on those (sometimes few) genuinely good times. I never had many friends and we were basically the loser group who hung around because we just didn't want to be alone, and there's still a small sense of brotherhood through that I've never felt with college normies or randoms. If you want to get back in touch it's definitely worth a try, I hate everything about facebook but being able to talk to old friends again makes it completely worth it
>>
I've been out of high school for two years now and I talk to my group from then every day. We all do our own thing, and two of us are going to school out of state, but we have a skype call that we're all in and we play games together.
>>
>>16887389
Typically not, most drift apart, if not completely after high school high school, then definitely after college. but you will probably reconnect later in life. The relationships from early in your life become really important later in life.
>>
>>16887603
Yeah, friend groups that do stuff together and stay in the same geographic area tend to stay together more. After college my brother moved back to the same area we lived in when he went to high school, and some of his old D&D buds were still there. They're in their 40s and still get together once a month or so and game.

But that's the exception. I don't think most friend groups stay together that long.
>>
I still talk to my closest friends, all two of them. Not that often though, even though one lives just ten minutes away. The other has moved away for a year for a job, and I'm going to go and see her over the break.

As for new friends, I feel like I have too many friends to spread my time over sometimes, to be honest.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.