[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright so I think I have autism, could /adv/ please help me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
Alright so I think I have autism, could /adv/ please help me by asking questions to ascertain if I may be on the spectrum?

Thanks
>>
Would it really make your life better if a doctor told you "you have a mild form of autism?" Would that comfort you?

It really is a wide spectrum, and when it truly needs a diagnosis, there's no question about it. "Autism" can range from someone who CANNOT communicate with words and flies into a violent fit if he's touched, to someone who is basically 100% functional but somewhat socially awkward.

If you're more in the latter category, if you've been alive for years and you still have to question whether or not you even have it, you're probably better off going undiagnosed. They can't really treat your or help you. All they can do is give you an excuse. And I've seen people use this excuse to AVOID improving their lives and going out of their comfort zone. They actually just settle into their bad habits and get worse, because they suddenly feel validated in doing so.
>>
>>16875703
I do want to improve, but mainly because I am studying at the moment also interested in it because my parents mistreated me and I could possibly have something else.

Examples
>Girlfriend is mad at me and I can't tell so she flies off the handle and yells at me alot

>I like sitting in my room alone not talking to others for months and people keep telling me off for doing it

Other day on the train it was crowded and I couldn't tell if this guy was getting off so I tapped him a bunch of times to make him turn around but he didn't. So on the way home I couldn't help but hit myself, I get weird looks and people ask if I am OK I would like to tell them I have autism so I don't feel as outcasted.

Also I posted on 4chan years ago because I had trouble communicating and they were very worried I had autism, I have the thread on 4plebs if you want to see?

It stresses me out

Stuff like that
>>
>>16875667
What are your opinions on:

> trains
> baseball
> jujitsu
> sonic the hedgehog (or Naruto)
> magic: the gathering
> deviating from routine
>>
>>16876050
I like trains I grew up around steam trains, I don't like riding them during peak hour though because people touch me

I am not american, no baseball

Martial arts is cool, but I don't want others to touch me and stuff so I never got into it

I like anime but not those

I used to steal magic the gathering cards

My mum said she would take me to happy feet when I was 11 and she didn't, I threw a tantrum and ended up in foster care
>>
>>16875703

this. its like when someone gets 'diagnosed' with 'anxiety'. you see it here all the time even when its clearly only self diagnosed.

>OH I CANT DO THAT CUZ I HAZ ANXIETY

maddening.
>>
>>16875703
>Would it really make your life better if a doctor told you "you have a mild form of autism?" Would that comfort you?
The diagnosis can be very important. My sister was diagnosed with autism last month after which she was able to switch her support course at school, now she's doing miles better. There's also the ability to get medication with a formal diagnosis if OP were to run into some really bad problems.
>>
File: asd.jpg (160 KB, 1296x476) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
160 KB, 1296x476
>>16876100
l-let me show you my power level

archive.4plebs.org/adv/thread/14397548

I made this thread the first time I tried to talk to a girl. I am just glad the pics 404

I mean, I even used to go to hospital as a kid because I didn't like to poop, I had a problem and they took cat scans of my bowels because I just hated the feeling, I know something wrong with me.

Maybe I could show these thread to a psyc ?
>>
>>16876119

that sucks but the key issue in that conversation with that girl was instead of talking to her you were analyzing literallly everything she said to be your worst case scenario, and then told her those analyzations instead of conversating.
>>
>>16876147
Well, about 10 mins into it I thought it was too much pressure so I just wanted her to leave me alone
>>
>>16876154

lmao.

still. like we all said. getting a diagnosis wont help. it will only give you an excuse. do what you want as long as it doesnt really hurt other people and you'll be fine.

>Tfw no autistic bf

miss you torrey.
>>
>>16876161
I just would feel better if I sperg in public like I did the other day I can say it and not have to grind my knuckles against a wall

Also so I don't have to speak to normies
>>
>>16876166

>so i can say it

saying it doesnt make what you do any better or worse. it might make people understand, but its becaue they disregard you as human. it does not make them sympathize or excuse or say 'oh hey, thats alright, anon is actually kinda cool'.

it just makes them think 'ew' and want to ignore you instead of pursue figuring out what the fuck is wrong with you

>also so i dont have to speak to normies

this is the kind of thing we were talking about. you use it as an excuse not to do things instead as proof that you need to overcome it.

that being said, you dont have to talk to normies regardless.
>>
>>16876173
It's hard, I saw a woman trying to push her trolley out of ikea a month ago and I ran upto her and threw it over the concrete pillars and ran away without saying anything

I still grind my knuckles because of it

I just want to disappear
>>
Quit trying to self-diagnose. If you think you have it, see a neurologist and a psychologist.

>>16875703
Also this.

And if you're not really but get a diagnosis (because they just classify anyone with quirks as autistic, nowadays) you could start acting as if you were.

"I think therefore I am."
>>
>>16875703
>>16876218
Pretty much this, but I want to add:

You should get tested for it *IF* it's causing such problems in your life that a medical paper trail might save your ass. For example, your employer does a corporate reorg, and your boss tries to force you into a new position that requires a level of social skills (or stress tolerance or whatever) way beyond your ability, like sales or something. But he thinks you're just nervous about changing departments and will grow into the new job, because he doesn't see that it took you like 10 years to gain the social skills that most people can get in 2, and he tells you "you're smart, you'll figure it out." If you have something from the doc saying "no, Anon has autism and is not going to figure it out" then the boss has to recognise that and either not put you in a job that you medically can't do, or he has to make reasonable accommodations for you. If that doesn't work out and you get fired/laid off for being bad at your job due to autism-related issues, it will help your case should you ever need to apply for autism bux.

Unless you want that paper trail though, I wouldn't worry about whether you actually have autism or not. What I *would* do is write down all the autism symptoms or autistic traits you've observed in yourself, and figure out ways to either reduce them, work around them, or just cope. If you actually have autism, you should be doing that anyway. And if you don't, it will not hurt you at all to work on stress management, communication, or whatever else you have. Keep in mind that working on them is probably going to be a lifelong thing. But you will benefit so much from doing it.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.