[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nothing motivates me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1454917955970.jpg (216 KB, 660x720) Image search: [Google]
1454917955970.jpg
216 KB, 660x720
In my current job in finance I can make $250k or so with about 7 years experience. In my last job I could have made $500k+ eventually but I quit because the hours were burning me out and I didn't get along with my coworkers that well. I'm married and mostly own everything I want.

I feel like a loser sometimes for quitting my previous job but on the other hand I don't need all that money. Mostly I just think of just dropping everything and becoming a game director or an entrepreneur or a scientist or something where I don't have to deal with corporate culture and office boredom so much. Should I feel bad that I probably wouldn't be contributing to society as much? Should I just get a visa to move to the US somehow and settle into a cushy silicon valley job instead? Deep down I'm not sure if I care about anything but If I'm not mentally occupied all I end up thinking about is my eventual death.
>>
Do something else with your life. Volunteer, travel, get a hobby. Heck, even spend more time with your family. Money isn't the be all and end all and it doesn't make you happy.
>>
> In my last job I could have made $500k+ eventually but I quit because the hours were burning me out and I didn't get along with my coworkers that well.
honestly, its something i would do too. doesnt mean its the best choice possible, but when you look at it, life doesnt really have "the best choice".

>I feel like a loser sometimes for quitting my previous job
i know how you feel, but at the end of the day, you did what you knew was best for you. and even if you didnt, you would still have learned something new about yourself.

>Mostly I just think of just dropping everything and becoming a game director or an entrepreneur or a scientist or something where I don't have to deal with corporate culture and office boredom so much. Should I feel bad that I probably wouldn't be contributing to society as much?
and being part of corporate culture is contributing? been there, done that (only thing im not in finance but in agricultural production). no one of those fuckers cares about "contributing" at all. your pure heart says otherwise about yourself, and honestly i think you are awesome OP. if you feel like you belong in game making business, then heck, youd contribute more to society than some office rat sitting down and looking at numbers 12 hours a day and not knowing what its all really about.

> Should I just get a visa to move to the US somehow and settle into a cushy silicon valley job instead?
its your choice. if you choose to do it its good. if you dont, its still good. you have a lot of choices to make on your own. 80% of the world would kill for such a chance.

>Deep down I'm not sure if I care about anything
but you do care

>If I'm not mentally occupied all I end up thinking about is my eventual death
we all do, but just remember, be what you are and enjoy no matter what you are doing and how much you are earning.
shit, ive seen people who lost their jobs, families, wives, even kids, and they still found ways to feel good and laugh.
>>
>>16856818
That's enough money to provide yourself and potential family with a comfortable life. You should take this opportunity to make yourself happy or find things that do.

My parents worked their whole lives with the goal of getting as much money as possible, ignoring their own happiness, and now they're in their 60s with health problems and probably not much time left to enjoy that money they earned. Obviously it sounds great for me because I'm an only child who gets to inherit all of it, but that's a shitty outcome for them. I wish they could have spent their lives happier and left me with little or nothing.

Don't work just to give your kids money to waste once you're dead, OP. Be useful and helpful in the world, and be happy,
>>
>>16856818
How do I get into this line of work?
>>
>>16856888
Be a relatively competitive overachiever for a sustained period of about 10 years.

I started aiming for finance about 6 years before I actually got in.
>>
>>16856845
Thanks

I think I change of environment - I wonder what my chances of getting an H1B visa in the US with a Masters
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.