[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi adv! How to be less a creep? People think I'm a creep
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: duck.jpg (8 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
duck.jpg
8 KB, 275x183
Hi adv!
How to be less a creep?
People think I'm a creep and avoid me, but I don't feel myself creepy. I just do my thing and keep it to myself.
>>
>>16794494
>I just do my thing and keep it to myself.

If you kept it to yourself, minded your own business, you'd never hear that someone thinks you're creepy.

I'd know, I used to be called creepy all the time, regardless of how I acted. Now I just mind my own business, only speak when spoken to, keep small talk polite and distant, never asking anything too personal, have acquaintances and colleagues rather than friends and haven't heard the word "creepy" in years.

If you're a creep, in my experience, there is shit all you can do to change it. But you can avoid people who'll call you it, and live in blissful ignorance never hearing it.
>>
>>16794592
Yeah, that doesn't help with that they think you are a creep and avoid you.
>>
>>16794592
Goddamn it. Why are people so mean?
>>
>>16794494
1. Shave your neckbeard.
2. Don't wear a fedora.
3. Take off your duster/trenchcoat.
4. Don't talk about creepy things.
5. Don't stare at little kids.
6. Avoid driving a windowless van while asking kids directions.
>>
>>16794691
Real funny, I do none of those.
>>
Bumpy bump
>>
>>16795471
> How to be less a creep?
Stop bumping your own thread 4 to 5 times.

Jesus, what a creep.
>>
>>16795556
First useful advice, anything else?
>>
>>16794494

post a picture of yourself.

a lot of creepiness is at a first glance. if we dont know what you look like we cant make you over. dont show us your best pic. take a picture right now or any random candids you got around
>>
>>16795570
There are so many different ways I could go with giving you advice on this. Do you have any idea why people find you creepy?
>>
>>16795585
I'm bad at small talk. I think that's one of the reasons. Or is that I have very limited social experience and don't know how to communicate my intentions. Like when I try to be kind, people think I'm just stupid. If I try to tease someone I easily hurt them. If they try to tease me a lot of times I don't get it. When I'm left to myself I can be really smart, but when I'm with people I just feel it's too much information in to little time and I become really clumsy and unperceptive with others think is a lack of effort and laziness.
>>
>>16795618

post a picture and find out
>>
>>16795654
I'm not asking how to be more creepy. Posting pics on a vietnamese origami forum is creepy.
>>
>>16795665

>getting advice on how not to look creepy would make me more creepy

good luck with that. sounds like you just want to whine about how its not your fault cuz ur trying to be kind but people misunderstand. poor soul you.
>>
>>16795683
I'm not asking how to look out not look anything. I have no problem approaching others. Problems start when I start communicating.
>>
>>16795687

uh huh. thats why you wont post a picture.
>>
File: 236301.jpg (35 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
236301.jpg
35 KB, 225x350
>>16795618
Limited social experience. Getting better at small talk is something that you pick up on from talking to other people. I used to be really bad at it, but if you are able to bring yourself to taking an interest in other people then it gets much easier.

Find a friend (and eventually more) and get to know them, and let them get to know you. Having some friends who know you well gives you a good safety net as far as being social/having a reputation goes.

Sometimes when I tease people I have have a tendency to take it a little too far, or at least I used to. It's best to go back on it and say that you didn't actually mean it or that you were kidding.

By seeing how people react to the things you do then you develop a better social sense. Also keep in mind that your tone and body language makes up most of your communication. The way you say something has more on an impact on how a person perceives you than what you say.

Calling someone an idiot while laughing and smiling jokingly is perceived much differently than if you say it in a cold, deadpan tone.

If you sound bored and lazy (and I get that feeling from how you say you approach being social), then people will find you creepy.

Make sure that you don't become that quiet, sketchy kid who sits alone somewhere and says nothing to anybody. And if you are that kid, try to make an effort to learn what other people are interested in and do it yourself. Wear nice clothes, practice good hygeine, and keep an open mind.
>>
>>16795707
Thanks for the thorough advice, saved. How can you learn proper tones and body language?
>>
people are retarded and easily offended. i suggest u smoke weed.
>>
File: latest.png (296 KB, 715x413) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
296 KB, 715x413
>>16795747
Experience. When you overdo something or say something socially innapropriate and people get quiet or seem uncomfortable around you it means you did something wrong. Just fix it in the future and don't get worked up over it since it isn't a big deal. If you honestly can't figure out what it was then ask somebody that you know about it.

People still see me as a weird person even though I have pretty good social skills, but that just has to do with my personality and it's not really in a bad way either. I don't get called creepy.

I still say weird shit on occasion and have awkward moments but a lot of that just has to do with living a big part of my life as a very reserved person.

If you make a mistake, don't concern yourself with it. Once you make friends, they will probably make fun of you for doing weird shit on occasion which is fine. In fact, it'll help you since your friends won't say anything to you like that in a negative way.

Social skills are like any other skill, you develop them with the right practice and fixing whatever mistakes that you make
>>
Thank you, this I'd awesome advice. Any way to help being more perceptive or paying more attention?
>>
>>16795837
If you have trouble focusing on things outside of your own conscious mind then you might have ADD and should get that shit diagnosed, it worked for me at least. I take my medication (Vyvanse, 25mg) on days when I feel really tired or want to get my responsibilities/work taken care of. However this is not that important and you should not go out of your way to schedule an appointment with a neurologist as soon as you're done reading this.

When you talk to more and more people, you'll realize that a lot of them have interesting stories to tell and it'll pique your interest in socializing more. If you are actually a smart person, then you must know the feeling if being very interested in a topic or concept. Socializing worked this way for me.

Get out more and start talking to people. It will take time and people will ignore/laugh at your awkwardness but you'll succeed with time and practice it'll become easier and easier.

I suggest you read up on psychology or take a course on it since it will help you develop the right mindset; this helped me identify my own mental processes and defense mechanisms that prevented me from being able to communicate with peolle.

Also quit going on 4chan. This might sound really hypocritical since I'm here, but this is my first time coming back after years of never going on here and I'm already about to leave again after two days. This place teaches you a lot of bullshit, especially /r9k/.
>>
>>16795882
I'm leaving for a couple hours to go somewhere so if you want any more advice just post here
>>
>>16795882
I only feel less attentibe and tired whrn I'm among people or when I have to do something creative like writing an essay or buying a gift for someone. Maybe it's nerves.
Any gift buying advice?
I'm interested in a lot of things but when presented with a lot of information, is getting too much.
I'm only on /adv/and only occasionally. /r9k/is a cesspit I know that.
>>
>>16794494
Are you attractive? If so, then you're probably doing some creepy things that you don't realize are creepy.

If you aren't attractive, simply doing normal things makes you creepy. It doesn't matter what activities they are you will be considered creepy for doing so.
>>
>>16795939
I'm pretty sure I'm attractive. 6'2 ottermode, have been called handsome a few times. Girls approach me I'm just a hopeless social retard.
>>
>>16795919
No problem, who is it that you're trying to buy a gift for?

I'm pretty sure that it has to do with nerves, because I used to have the same issue until I got comfortable. When I actually put effort into something, it's very easy to write a pretty good story even though it involves a stream-of-consciousness style of writing.

Getting comfortable being around groups of people just has to do with your chemistry with them. Zoning out during conversations just tells people that you aren't really paying attention to them and it does seem pretty weird to people. I have have a tendency to do that a lot even now. Eventually you learn how to fake interest in conversations when the time calls for it, and sometimes it can even turn into real interest.

/adv/ is the only board I find tolerable right now, even though I like video games and anime. /r9k/ seems to just be full of people who are completely isolated from society and live in a world dominated by their own complexes.

If you're 6'2", then you probably don't have anything wrong with your appearance except maybe hygeine and/or how you dress.
>>
>>16796350
>No problem, who is it that you're trying to buy a gift for?
Friends family members.
> stream-of-consciousness style of writing.
What's that?
>If you're 6'2", then you probably don't have anything wrong with your appearance except maybe hygeine and/or how you dress.
Yeah approaching is not a problem for me.
>>
>>16795618
Autism.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.