[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Job dilemma
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: stressed.jpg (160 KB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
stressed.jpg
160 KB, 500x390
I'm a 22 years old chemical engineering freshmen, just started college 2 months ago and since I'll be paying for tuition myself I decided to work part-time to save money for next semester tuition.
I started working at a call-center just 3 weeks ago. The job's easy, the pay's good, and the company adjusts my work schedule to my school schedule so that I work only 25 hours a week.
Even so I'm having a hard time adjusting because my homework load is always huge and I barely manage to finish it before deadlines. I've been stressed and tired as fuck for the past 3 weeks and I'm seriously thinking of quitting the job so I can focus on college, but if I quit I won't have any money for next semester tuition.

What do you think I should do? Should I quit the job or stay like this knowing I'm risking failing at least a subject? Do you think there's an easier way for a student to earn decently and pay school?
Please help me, I'm desperate and I can't ask anyone from my family for help or support.
>>
>>16789723

would a summer job be able to cover tuition? do you have student loan options? have you tried looking for say, weekend jobs only? one that averages 16 hours a weekend like being a server, but will result in enough tips to compensate?

exhaust al lyour options before you just quit cuz quitting doesnt solve the problem
>>
>>16789723
i hate to say it but schooling sucks these days - it is more of a system to make money rather than give people anything that will help them - it has become more of a hinderage than a help
like you - i couldn't afford college - so i started working full time
first with shit jobs in a gov office - stayed and did everything i was told - joined boards - joined groups lots of volunteering
ten years later i have a decent job in an employment office and now i have money to pay for an education which is what i am doing
>>
>>16789742
Working as waiter was one of my first options actually.
Unfortunately most of the restaurants I asked for job have fixed schedules that force you to work 6 days a week. Call centers are of the most flexible companies in here and that's why I decided on working there, but stll I'm choking with college.

>>16789750
I think it depends on the country. In first world countries you'd probably have a bigger chance of nicely-paid job without having a degree.
In my country you're destined to work as waiter or cook with a shitty salary the rest of your life if you don't go to college.
>>
How is the call center? I heard a guy in my class say he's a manager for one and they get paid $10/h. I could live with that.
I literally have no money and I'm tired of the 3 hour commute to uni
>>
TALK TO YOUR COUNSELORS!
Check if your school has any positions available right now. If not, you can go and ask your counselor or even a professor if they know about a position, make it clear you want a work study, not a fucking free slave work internship.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.