[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pursuing music as a career
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: DSCF4594.jpg (228 KB, 863x647) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4594.jpg
228 KB, 863x647
I'm a 4th year at a pretty top tier university, graduating in June, and with this in mind I have a decision to make. I have a grad program in mind (more of a professional master's) that I'm not really stoked about, but if I got in and I completed it, I'm guaranteed an excellent salary out of school, yadda yadda. On the other hand, I have a particularly wealthy great aunt on my dad's side who could potentially fund an alternative venture. She has no children of her own, my dad is a deadbeat, so basically she's made it known she would fund my graduate studies since she has a lot of disposable income. The graduate program can be completed online (inb4 Devry), and recently the tenant in one of the houses she owns has moved out. She told me I could move in there and basically have the place to myself while I'm studying. It is worth noting that she's recently turned 70 and is probably trying to not-so-subtly put me into a position perhaps where I'll be indebted to her later in my life, and she'll use this as leverage so I don't move elsewhere, but instead I stay local and care for her when she gets to be that age. This doesn't sound too horrible at face value, but I also have a girlfriend who's going to be graduating this year as well, and while she's going to be potentially be in the area for all of next year, if she finds a job somewhere else I don't want to be restricted to living in SoCal because I signed an unspoken contract. Anyways, so I have a house I could live in rent free, devote all my time to playing/writing music, and make some youtube videos while I'm at it. (1/2)
>>
>>16785872
You going to write that second post?
>>
In the modern age, art isn't worth money.

When you can instantly stream or pirate music, it's hard to make a living just playing music.

Get into a trade or something and practice music with your spare time. Don't toil away trying to earn money with your music, because you'll be forced to compromise your artistic style to make it more accessible in order to sell more.

Same thing goes for painting. Just because you can draw nice pictures doesn't make it worth money.

Get a job, pursue music, practice for years, and when you're ready release an awesome album that blows people away. Don't end up like my friend who is an awesome guitar player, but wanted to earn money more than he wanted to make good music so he joined a terrible band that just got signed and audience consists of 11 year olds.
>>
>>16787287

>Get into a trade or something

This! Trades are wonderful career choices and you'll be working with your hands. Carpentry is a growing field and you can make a decent amount of money while building your own instruments on the side.
>>
>>16785872
Take care of your aunt and get a sweet deal out of it. Don't throw everything away for a random girlfriend.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.