[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been working 60+ hours a week since I was 19. I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1442071737199.png (11 KB, 364x312) Image search: [Google]
1442071737199.png
11 KB, 364x312
I've been working 60+ hours a week since I was 19. I've been quite happy with it, but recently decided I need to re-evaluate my career options.
So I'm back in school now, going to try and finish my bachelors.

Here's the problem: I am so far removed from the hookup and party culture of the early-20's that I literally don't know how to socialize with people my own age. The last few years it never bugged me, I was busy with work. I was producing things, I found value and validation through that.
But now, school doesn't take me 60 hours a week, and it doesn't produce anything. It's just training and learning. Loneliness is starting to bitchslap me hard.

How am I supposed to...re-integrate myself? Relate to people my own age? Everybody is so sensitive, they've never experience what (and I hate this phrase) "the real world" is like, none of them even know how to properly file their own taxes. All they seem to care about is being as inclusive as possible, being nice to everybody forever no matter what, and then getting shitfaced and fucking a stranger.
>>
what's wrong with being nice to people and having alcohol fueled random sexual encounters?
>>
>>16781389
There are times where you need to be able to say "fuck you". Being absolutely inclusive and nice is unsustainable and a shit idea.

And nothing is wrong with random hookups, but it's the /only thing/ anybody my age wants to do. I've hooked up with 6 people after actual dates, not just coffee or a bar, and when I tried to contact them after they were legitimately confused. Like the idea of dating doesnt fucking exist to these people.
>>
>>16781382
>But now, school doesn't take me 60 hours a week, and it doesn't produce anything. It's just training and learning.

You're forgetting networking. It's possibly one of the most important things about college. Join clubs that have professional value. Do volunteer work that gets you professional experience. Network and make friends that way. Don't bother with the 'party scene' or 'hookup culture.' You won't find anything of value there.

If you find that your entire school is just party culture, then you might consider going to a different school. However, I find it unlikely that your school is just 100% party school.

You might also want to try finding a part time internship.
>>
>>16781405
>Like the idea of dating doesnt fucking exist to these people.
It's a sad throwaway culture we live in.
>>
>>16781412
You keep saying "Network"
that is the thing I don't know how to do. I can't talk to these people and socialize with them in any meaningful way.
I don't need professional internships or anything like that. I have senior level position experience. Again, I have been working 60+ hours a week since I was 19, I have nearly 6 years unbroken employment in my field of study.
I'm getting this degree so I don't get stuck from HR cunts, not much else. Though I am hopeful for the upper level classes, there's some neat shit in those.
>>
>>16781433
If you have that much professional experience, you should know how to network. If you find the people you are trying to socialize with aren't worth it or interesting or useful, then you're at the wrong institution.

What are you majoring in and what's your professional field?

> Though I am hopeful for the upper level classes, there's some neat shit in those.
You realize you can get exceptions through your advisor or teachers and just take upper level classes, right? That's what I did in college, and I certainly didn't have the experience you do. Pretty sure more than half of my undergrad credits were actually graduate level courses. Usually you find people with more "real world" experience there.
>>
>>16781490
I know how to network with professionals, not people who have had an internship at micron for 6 weeks.
I'm taking a specific degree program that lets me take basically whatever upper division classes I want, so long as they're arguably related and meet the credit requirements.

My problem is not getting professional hookups or anything like that. I am extremely confident in my professional abilities and networking skills.

What I cannot do is make friends. That is what I need help with. I have everything else under control.
>>
>>16781510
Meet people who share your hobbies. It doesn't have to be work Or school related
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.