[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it too late for me to start my undergrad at 26? My education
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: too late.jpg (153 KB, 1300x1003) Image search: [Google]
too late.jpg
153 KB, 1300x1003
Is it too late for me to start my undergrad at 26?

My education path would take me 6 years. I wanted to do 4 years of Kin and then a 2 years masters of physio. But I'm starting to think graduating at 32 is just too late to get my life started. That the debt I'd rack up just isn't worth it. 6 years of school and stress while my friends all are starting their lives, while I'm poor living in a one bedroom apartment trying to work summers and weekends to pay rent.

Should i just go become a plumber or some shit? Trades make great money here in Canada.

What's your opinion on school past 25?
>>
>>16771898
Professor writing here.

Do it.

University is not just for 18 year olds any more, and most universities have a sizeable proportion of "older" students. In some well-known schools as much as 50% of the undergrads are in their late 20s, 30s or even 40s.

The world has changed, and increasing numbers of people are making life choices later, going to university after being in the world for a while. And universities are changing to serve them - you will not be adrift in a swirl of adolescents, but there will be a Dean of older students, support services and clubs.

On a personal note, in years of teaching, it has always been the older students who shined - you're more mature, more focussed, more disciplined and filled with world knowledge the kids can't have.

Let's put it another way. You fear that in six years you'll be 32 when you've finished your education.

How old will you be in six years if you don't do it?
>>
There isn't like, some actual track in life that you have to follow. Yeah, you have to do that shit to get a career, but that shit doesn't have an actual age limit (...with the exception of most sports careers, anyway.).

Hell, when he was in his late 20s my dad lost his business and decided to go to law school instead of start some other entrepreneur thing. He's been a lawyer for 20 years now.
>>
>>16771920
>>16771910
thanks.

I just worry that, even though its the path I want to take, its one that will make me miserable in the process. Because I will have next to no money while I do it and be living off debt. So I will be forced to live in a shitty tiny apartment. I won't have money to do fun things or even time to go out and enjoy myself all that much since I will need to keep on top of my grades, my masters program requires a 3.75GPA.

I see lots of my friends now who are graduated or about to graduate or ones who did the trades who have decent jobs now living in sizable apartments or thinking about putting a downpayment on a house.

My GF just finished her apprenticeship and will start making decent money in a year or two. She's ready to start her life and wants us to move in together. I feel like I will be a drain on the relationship financially and in that I won't have the time to go have all this fun and live life.

The only problem is I don't know what the fuck I would do if I don't pursue this. All the other avenues I looked into seem meh to me. Maybe being a machinist.........maybe. And I feel like if I don't do this, im just giving up, admitting I'm not good enough.
>>
>>16771898
Graduating at 32 gives you more than 30 years to do what you're interested in vs. some trade that you're settling for because of time.

Go to school. There's plenty of time. Doing something you don't especially like for 30+ years can seem like an eternity. And not in a good way.
>>
>>16771898

22-23 should be the age people start university t b h. At 19 there's huge risk of you being directionless and going to university just because everyone else is doing it. That means high chance of dropping out / switching majors, which means losing a lot of money and health.
>>
32 just started working for the first time ever.

Just community college.

My own place, 2 cars no major bills I can't handle.

Seems fine to me.
>>
>>16771898
>I wanted to do 4 years of Kin and then a 2 years masters of physio.
Just be sure you know what career you would want with that education path. Kinestheology/physiology is somewhat limited, and you generally need certificates of some sort on the medical/physical therapy side.

I mean if it's what you want to do and you have some experience with it, go for it. Just don't be one of those people who idolizes a career path without any experience - they usually end up hating it.

As for the age thing, it's not a problem. at 26 most people won't even notice the age gap.
>>
Back in the day people used to go to college waaaaaay later, all kinds of ages were present. For some reason in the 90s and 00s people started to just flock to college after high school in some strange dogmatic religious fashion. Just go if you are actually interested in something.
>>
>>16771898
My friend is 33 and he's just enrolling in college.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.