[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck do i not procrastinate This ridiculous need (and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1448049863776.jpg (53 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1448049863776.jpg
53 KB, 960x720
How the fuck do i not procrastinate

This ridiculous need (and it is, like, a physiological need at this point) to procrastinate has plagued me all throughout my fucking academic career. Somehow i managed to survive to get my bachelors but now that i'm in fucking GRADUATE SCHOOL i still haven't managed to wrestle this goddamn compulsion down

If i've never been able to unfuck myself with regards to this will i ever?
>>
>>16777961

It's because you're probably doing some sort of soft science, it's easier that way.

You always hear about people studying engineering who study every day. Well it's easier for them, not in content, but to actually practice method and routine every day. Open your textbook to page 42 and do the exercises to page 60.

With stuff like English and arts degrees all you can do it just read articles and then write essays, it's harder to be methodical. I find that to really just DO it was hard because I was always like "well what is it exactly that I'm doing and where should I start?"

Treat it like the first draft of any story, you don't know what the fuck you're doing so you just start writing shit. Well address what your major essay is about and start it, finish it even, studying and reading the appropriate sources as you go. Then, re-write it, start again. Add more sources, learn more about the subject. etc. etc. This seems annoying at first because you're probably used to writing whole essays or whole halves of essays in massive, rushed 5 hour stints. Well if you just work on it every day, little bits, it won't matter, finish the first essay won't even be a milestone because you just get up tomorrow and write another 100 - 300 words like you've been doing every day anyway.
>>
>>16777980
I see what you're saying

So i should just start by spraying bits and pieces of ideas pertaining to the topic almost at random onto Word, then later on rewrite to connect the pieces, and then rewrite again to add more ideas, and then rewrite *again* to weave those ideas into coherent paragraphs etc. etc.

I hated even the concept of that before; and yes i was used to just piling through an entire essay in gigantic chunks when in undergrad

You might be quite right about your first point, too
When i was studying organic chemistry i think i had an easier time of it when holding down the urge to procrastinate because the textbook provided had just a colossal amount of practice problems to peck at in every chapter. All i had to do is sit down, open the book, and just run one problem at a time.
>>
File: meditation.jpg (160 KB, 736x937) Image search: [Google]
meditation.jpg
160 KB, 736x937
>>16777961
Meditation and/or nootropics like piracetam (amphetamines like ritalin work better but it's nasty and addictive so I would def not go that route plus you build tolerance on those).
>>
>>16777995
Realize that its make or break time. Finish your shit first then relax. Not the other way around.
>>
>>16778002
yuh but when it comes to finishing shit early i end up listening to hours of youtube footage of stuff like the Prague Filharmonic performing compositions from Rachmaninoff instead of actual work and only the threat of impending disaster forces me to act.. sometimes even that doesnt work and the result is ugly
yes i know that absolutely mirrors the situation in that waitbutwhy article about this

>>16777999
i've been seeing a few articles lately about how all the 'mystery' behind meditation and even mindfulness is being ripped away and cheapened by the by-the-numbers distillation of techniques and practices which have been packaged so much i've seen fucking mobile phone apps about them.

will following the instructions on this infographic really help or should i call my local buddhist priest or stoic philosopher for meditation lessons
>>
>>16777980
Not op but fuck, why have I never thought of this? Ty anon
>>
>>16777961
I've got the answer. I'll tell you when I get around to it.
>>
>>16778046
This infographic while it looks tumblr-tier it's actually correct. Practice of mindfulness meditation is even in practice of buddhism devoid of any prayers or beliefs during the meditation itself, it's more like excercise and it really is that simple. While buddhism gives it a bit of a background how you try to connect with your buddha self by emptying your mind, you don't need to buy into any of that for it to work. That is why I find buddhism generally appealing, their shit works without believing in it. You also don't need no apps or anything like that all that is bullcrap, literally do just what the infographic says and that's it, only thing I would add is that you should slowly increase the meditation time but only if you feel comfortable with it. Also the improvement comes gradually, don't expect to be a superman after the first meditation, just give it at least those 10 mins every day and you will slowly realise you are becoming calmer and more focused.

If you want to read a good book on buddhism anyway, I recommend Zen mind, beginner mind. It's a modern book of zen buddhism which is a sort of "back to basics" buddhism that ignores alot of the dogma that got piled onto buddhism over the years and basically just follows teachings of buddha. Very short and concise reading, I liked it even tho I'm not religious, a lot of the philosophy in that book appealed to me and I even applied some of it to my own life with general improvement in my happiness.
>>
>>16778078
>>16778046
also to add to the nootropics if you decide to check that out, meditation really complements it well. When I started out the nootropics made me a bit nervous(mild side effects can be depression or nervousness or aggressivity) and then I started meditating which immediately helped offset that and later on I stopped taking nootropics and just meditate so that might be a good route, start with the pills to get a boost now and transition into just meditation as you get better at it. Nootropics don't have any lasting harmful effects nor do they build dependence so they are the ideal study drugs that are safe and you can get them over the counter in any pharmacy.
>>
>>16778078
>>16778090
good stuff, anon. thanks
>>
>>16778141
Another thing I forgot (it's been a while since I used them) If you use nootropics it's a good idea to supplement them to increase effectivity and absolutely crush any negative side effects. Lecitin, vitamin B, omega 3 fatty acids (you can do pills or just eat more fish to get that) and green tea are great combo with piracetam which is what I used. It also comes pretty cheap I used to get a month worth of piracetam pills and supplements for under 20 shekels and generally I never took it for longer periods than that just to be safe.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.