[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you anons know anything about engagement rings? As
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: 250px-569Garbodor.png (67 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
250px-569Garbodor.png
67 KB, 250x250
Do any of you anons know anything about engagement rings? As in where to find one for a good price, what sellers will/will not fuck me over, and if ordering one online is a retarded idea?
pic is unrelated
>>
File: jujubes.jpg (194 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
jujubes.jpg
194 KB, 1200x800
I got a 2 ct diamond mounted on a platinum ring that was listed as $36k for $13k just by negotiating.
>>
>>16774057
any negotiating tips?
>>
File: Fancy_cut_diamonds.jpg (125 KB, 352x394) Image search: [Google]
Fancy_cut_diamonds.jpg
125 KB, 352x394
What were you thinking of on a ring? I'm hardly a jeweler but engagement rings are pretty as fuck and I have some plans.

For instance: what cut of precious stone? What kind of ring -- more typical stuff such platinum, gold, rose gold, white gold, etc or weirder (cheaper and sometimes more durable) shit like titanium? What kind of stone are we talking -- diamond, emerald, ruby, cubic zirconia, etc?

I really like http://touchwoodrings.com -- they have some gorgeous rings in their gallery of stone inlays, and the rings are "only" about $500-$600 to start. If I were getting engaged I'd definitely consider getting wedding and engagement rings from them (it's a little expensive for a wedding band, but still.).
>>
ordering one online is a retarded idea in that you can't really tell the clarity and color of the stone as well from a picture. However, if you buy from a reputable seller you can usually ask for a new stone.

Make sure to know what your girl wants. Custom rings and alternative stones are very popular right now.

As for getting fucked over: if you're in the market for a diamond, you're gonna have a bad time simply because their price is artificially inflated-- that's just the name of the game. Keep your budget in mind and know what you want.
>>
>>16774066
On the topic of diamonds, cubic zirconia is a really good alternative option because (1) you know there's no involvement in slavery or warfare (e.g. congo diamonds) and (2) it looks very similar, if not the same, if you're not looking under a microscope. The luster is pretty different from other stones, though -- someone familiar with sapphires etc are going to be able to tell a sapphire-colored cubic zirconium stone from an actual cut sapphire.
>>
>>16774070
Another option is lab-grown stones. They have the same makeup as the real thing. You can probably tell the difference if you're a professional, but at least you wouldn't be lying when you say it's a diamond/sapphire/whatever.
>>
File: 1454188525948.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1454188525948.jpg
61 KB, 1280x720
>>16774059
Sure. my girlfriend and I went to the diamond district of Philadelphia. I did everything wrong, but I drew out the process for about two hours. I had no intention of buying, but my girlfriend was really into it. In the end, I had them down to 13k, plus sales tax. I made arrangements to finance the 13k but forgot the tax. I said that I was sorry, but I couldn't pay the tax. The store brought the price down to 13k with the tax included and we left with the ring.
>>
>>16774064
Oh christ....well, I know for sure she wants something that looks like a flower. And she would prefer platinum/silver, or even something more rustic as long as it isnt too obnoxiously gold (if that makes any fucking sense). Plus she hates square/rectangle cuts. And definitley diamond.
>>
Friend ordered his online, it was like a 1ct lab-made diamond for 500. Diamond was probably low grade color/luster/whatever-wise given the price point but it looked pretty legit.
>>
>>16774082
christ, that's pretty sweet.
>>
File: Fantastic-Planet-Tiva-and-Sinh.jpg (34 KB, 434x317) Image search: [Google]
Fantastic-Planet-Tiva-and-Sinh.jpg
34 KB, 434x317
>>16774087
Educate yourself on the four C's, Color, Clarity, Cut, and Carats.
>>
>>16774083
if you're looking for a custom shape like that, you might want to try out a site like etsy, at least for the ring itself. You can buy loose stones at most any jeweler, I think.
>>
>>16774113
Yeah, I've taken a look on etsy. Theres some nice stuff there.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.