[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really need to find a career but I'm not sure what to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: insta.gif (1 MB, 367x201) Image search: [Google]
insta.gif
1 MB, 367x201
I really need to find a career but I'm not sure what to do, all my friends are getting ahead and I'm still in a dead end job

I've never really had much idea, and career counselors have told me my results are unusual and they have no idea.

did work running a small artsy business and did OK,
worked as a trades assistant and a barman, did some gardening and metal/woodwork

IQ polled at 110, highly articulate, very black and white
outgoing and confident, polite but not amicable
happy with repetition and structure, unhappy with waiting

I have money behind me and I'm prepared to move or study as required.
>>
>>16758968
Instead of seeing a job as an end, try seeing it as a means to achieve something. What do you want out of life? What do you value most? Is it independence and autonomy? Do you want a lot of free time? Do you want to travel? Do you want to make an impact on the world? Or do you just want a fancy three story home?

I would say start by finding out what you want in life, then find a bunch of careers that will put you on the path to achieving those things, then just pick the most interesting one you find and start busting your ass.

There's a whole lecture that talks about this. It's about "not following your passion" but the principles apply here. The dude did a bunch of case studies, and found that people who were passionate and happy with their work had a few common traits
>had a rare and valuable skill cultivated over the years
>skill was related to something they were genuinely interested in
>they used that skill as leverage to get the life they wanted
You don't need to find the ONE PASSION that speaks to your soul. Find something you've always enjoyed, and find a way to use your interest to cultivate a skill that you can use to get what you want in life
>>
>>16759063
well that is a bit of a sticking point

All I want is money and power, I have no real interests or hobbies, no specific aspirations, I am content doing the same thing over and over again, eating the same meal seven days a week, given the choice I would live in a cement cube.

so from my point of view I just want to find something I'm good at, because I don't think I'l ever enjoy anything

it sounds a bit outlandish I grant, but it's true
>>
>>16759083
You could be the next Warren Buffett. Make investments until you make it to the top 100 wealthiest men alive
>>
>>16759100
I was considering speculative finance, but the truth is I'm not sure what makes a strong player in investment banking and financial management

is it raw cognitive/numerical ability, does it take vision?
I have heard that it's complicated to the point it becomes a game of chance, everyone in the industry seems to put themselves forward as an oracle but I think that's just to ensnare new players
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.