[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to stop being an unproductive piece of shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: fysb.png (126 KB, 678x382) Image search: [Google]
fysb.png
126 KB, 678x382
I have barely done any work in the last 2 years. I obviously can't change overnight but does anyone have any tips about how to change myself and start doing the shit I want to get done instead of wasting my life?
>>
>>16756435
Self-discipline
AKA JUST DO IT mentality.

Literally thats it. Whenever you think about doing something, then just go do it. Sure it may feel boring and tiresome when you do, but the more times you do it the more it becomes a routine. And once something becomes a routine you'll start doing it naturally.

Start small, something very small you want to change in life, and just do it. When successful, do something else. When unsuccessful, think about what you did wrong, and then try again, until you get it done.
This is how you build up discipline.
And discipline is one of (if not) the most important trait someone can have.
>>
>>16756435
Pick one finite, do-able thing. Clean the house, get a job, take a class, paint the barn.

Do it.

Feel good about doing it.

Pick another finite do-able job.

Repeat the process.
>>
>>16756441
>>16756511
These. Divide life into tasks, not moments. Finish the task, move on. The degree of difficulty is subjective, so you must start where you are able and work your way up from there. And remember; Preparation is everything.
>>
>>16756511
>>16756564
I'll give these a go. I guess I'll make a timetable (task-table?) of the things I want to get done.

I'm worried though that after a day or two I'll just think "Fuck it" and go back to wasting my days. How make it more likely that I stick to this in the long term?
>>
>>16756579
You will go back. You will fail many times. It's okay. Just start again and again and again and never give up.

Sticking to it for the long term is a matter of perseverance even when life is shitty and you want to stop.

Find a buddy or a mentor. Someone to help motivate you and more importantly, someone to keep you accountable.
>>
>>16756579
An accomplished friend of mine once said
>"Everything is cumulative."

Meaning progress, growth, learning, etc. is gradual. You cannot logically expect to change your ways overnight after weeks, or even months of living the same way. But you can, say, plan out a two week schedule for yourself, gradually ease yourself into new habits, balance out your entertainment with your person-building in a reasonable way, and see how you did by the end of that time. It will take discipline, time, and desu patience. But it won't seem like a chore when you begin to actually live better than you did before.
>>
>>16756435

The two most important things you can probably do would be to strength train and to stop using social media.

Getting stronger will teach you the power of consistency and show you in a very tangible way that you can improve yourself. There's also evidence that it has wonderful effects on your ability to think and focus.

Social media wrecks your brain. Quit 4chan, facebook, twitter, reddit, everything like that. It trains your brain to require constant distraction. So, either you'll do it unconsciously when you should be doing something else, or if you're actually trying to focus you'll find the urge to grab your phone or laptop and start browsing to get stronger and stronger until you cannot resist.

Check out "Deep Work" by Cal Newport. It's a great book that addresses your exact problem.
>>
>>16756435

ultimately it comes down to you. no advice will make you do something you dont want to unless you actually want to do it. thats what willpower is. and there is no cheatcode for that. but lets assume you have a tiny bit inside of you.

For me, the big thing that changed my life was the realization that I didn't have to do it all at once. i went to bed many nights making a list of what to do the next day
>walk the dog
>Clean the whole apartment
>work out
>Eat healthy
>job hunt
>work on a big personal project
>etc.

and id maybe be able to cross two things off in that day. it was ridiculous. then one day, around new years, i decided it'd be easier to do things one month at a time. I figured i was definitely going to relapse but if i had the rest of the month to 'get back on it' it would befine.

>january was work out month, started p90x
>february was healthy month, change my diet
>march was hobby month, start my big project
>april was clean month, clean the entire fucking house top to bottom
>may was 'chore' month, maintain last months cleanliness by perfecting a schedule so it doesnt fall back

so on and so forth. on top of that there were other things like 'get a job' that i started in january, and worked on throughout all the months. when i finally got a job I allowed one month to 'get used to it' cuz having a major schedule change changes everything. one week at a time id try to incorporate new things, like figuring out how to eat healthy in the office, or when to schedule workouts, and chores etc. it takes time to adjust. but next month i was right back into it!

thats the best way to do it. write down not just your goals but what habits you want to develop. dont be sad if one habit simply isnt for you/ its okay to spend the month on it then realize its not right.
>>
>>16756927
I wrote all these down on a giant piece of paper i hung on my wall. my roommates did to. then half way through the month we'd all have a meeting to discuss what we did right and what were doing wrong, and try to help each other get back on track to completing those goals. then at the end of the month we'd all get together again and cross things off if we managed to 'make it a habit' or complete a specific goal.

from there you gotta make smaller lists and schedule. all phones have calendars on them these days that give you notifications, so why not schedule in specific things for specific times so you can cross em off?
>>
>>16756435
Exercise. Make a workout routine and do it five times a week, no exceptions.
It will literally CHANGE your life. You will feel energy, motivation and inspiration in all areas of life.
>>
>>16756435
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLOpX2cu-4g
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.