[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can you do about being overly sensitive and getting upset
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: fragile.jpg (174 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
fragile.jpg
174 KB, 960x640
What can you do about being overly sensitive and getting upset at everything?
>>
Give some examples to we can get an idea of what you mean.
>>
>>16676537
I was having a perfectly good day, looking for jobs online, helping mom with the house work, playing with the dogs and making tea when I remembered that the syrian crisis is a thing, and the thought of innocent civilians makes me sad, and the thought of getting raped/killed by muslims makes me sad, too, and that sometimes there are literally no good options and human suffering is awlays inevitable and now I'm sitting here in my bed crying, hiding under a blanket and knowing that it doesn't make the big scary world go away.
>>
>>16676508

The key to prevent sadness and fear for the future is preparation. Take self defense and have the skills and reference experiences to feel confident.

Additionally, it seems you went on a depressive thought cascade. Basically, one bad thought leads to another right? The key to that is to insert a time gap between thinking of something sad, then expressing that sadness physically.

Try pausing for one second before you think of the next thought. Maybe (inside your mind) scream the word PAUSE! Do it for one second, before you physically react. Eventually work your way up to 2 seconds, to 5, to 10, to 15, 20, 30, 45, then 60 seconds.

From there, you learn that you have the power to choose how to react to a bad, or even good, feelings.

Hope that helps!
>>
>>16676547
Oh, I've been conditioned to not express netagive feelings externally until I'm alone. I don't just spontaneously burst into bawling as soon as a sad or uncomfortable thought appears.

There would be no end of it if I did.
>>
Stop following the news. Don't go into the internet, or maybe just stay in the tumblr hugbox. Some people aren't fit to live in the real world, your best shot is living in a bubble.
>>
>>16676556
The point of the exercise is that it demonstrates that you have a choice as to how you process your emotions and you have a choice over which thoughts you entertain.
>>
>>16676629
I don't understand.

Can you explain it some other way?
>>
>>16676641

Sure.

Basically, you get overwhelmed by the chain of thoughts that make you sad, right?

It's a sad thought which leads to a sad thought that makes you sadder, and so on until you have a physical reaction, yes?

The point is the exercise conditions you to give yourself time, in the form of a minute of emotionless time.

This gives you the space to look at these sad thoughts as rationally as possible. From there, you can figure out how to rationally deal with the things that make you sad.

It's like giving yourself emotional time stop abilities.

Clear?
>>
>>16676655
Okay.

What is the rational way to think about the fact that my country might face a goddamn race war and that both sides are against me?
>>
>>16676737
what the fuck makes you think that's a rational thought in the first place
>>
Hello. I am like OP, and i was just about to make a thread. I'm seen as confident, outgoing, and a whole example of a man in a country and city where true ''man'' are rarely seen. I also believe those things, i do have a lot of good traits. However, i live a constant, internal struggle agaisnt myself, because i am ''triggered'' by certain things, like rape, some kinds of violence such as innocent killings, intrusive thoughts, and all. Part of me thinks i like those things. Another part of me also thinks i'm weak and scared of those things. The rest of me hates those things so much it wants to go killing people that do those kinds of things. The rest of me just want those meaningless thoughts and struggles to go away. But the fear, for example, of someone raping someone i love, is overwhelming. The powerlessness of hearing such news only after the act occured, and remembering they are fragile. I've worked and work on myself on becoming strong so i can protect myself and people who are close to me. But not everyone i love is close to me at all times. Thoughts like those turned into tortured, and i don't have a single 5 minutes of inner peace if i try to concentrate on butterflies and beautiful landscapes.

I've made a list of things that make me unhappy, and i'm waiting until i have enough money to see a therapist, which i'm also not so hopeful since such professionals, the psychologists, around here, aren't that good. But i'm somewhat hopeful.

I want an advice on how to deal with those thoughts and feelings, on how i'm easily shaken from happy to annoyed/melancholic/angry at a mere thought of an hipothetical situation or a mistake i've made. What can be done? I see no problem in facing fears and challenges, hence why i'm bothered that something as feeble as my own thoughts are my only weaknesses at the moment. It's like a way fate found to balance or test me.
>>
Why is crying a bad thing?
>>
>>16676508
>>16676878
Stop putting so much pressure on yourselves for being sensitive. It's OK.

Really, it's a human thing to worry. Don't deny something that makes you human.
>>
>>16676508

Try not being a cocksucking fag fuck bitch ass nigger loving piece of shit cuck

Faggot
>>
>>16677337
I'm worrying about problems i'm not having and that have no chance of happening. This worry is destroying me. This isn't ''OK'. This isn't normal.
>>
>>16676540
Stop being a pussy goddamn.
>>
>>16677767
Also, being upset at an inevitability is highly illogical. Save your emotions and energy for things you can actually change.
>>
>>16677775
How do I change feelings?

I can't make my blood stop flowing, and I can't stop feeling scared and deficient and vulnerable.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.