[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I retarded - problems with dad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 480x464) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 480x464
So I'm 18 and I won't try to give my life story here but basically divorced but semi wealthy parents , especially dad , mom is kind of lazy and greedy and the worse of the two . Dad also had no father ( he was there but was mainly focused on keeping his family alive ) and lived during the Lebanese civil war

Basically I've gotten into an argument with my dad where I indirectly claim that he is not a good father . I have not used those direct words , but we got into an argument about how we don't do anything together anymore because I'm too busy out , studying , or playing vidya and I said yeah it's sort of my fault but when have you asked me to do hang out in the past five years .

I don't know if I have a warped perception of what a father should be or my dad is I don't know . He thinks that basically since he has "cared for me " the past 18 years and has given me food shelter a nice car etc as opposed to my mom that I should somehow be fair (read : have immunity ) to him.

He's vague with me and I don't think that just cause I had a roof over my head that that somehow makes him worthy of the title of father .i honestly cannot think of one thing he has ever helped me (outside of monetary wise ) or any life lesson or value I learned from him, and says that I am ignorant for not seeing how much care he has put into me .

Frankly , I don't even give a damn because I know the past won't change and t b h f a m I'm very ambitious and hope to show my mom and dad that I will be widely more succesful than they were , in money and relationships . But he keeps on persisting that I don't have a bad view of him and I honestly don't fucking care and just want to leave for college already.
>>
Lol you're going to get rekt in the real world. He probably could have done a better job but that doesn't make him a bad dad.

My mom divorced my dad and got with some fag whose boyfriend moved in and lived with us since I was 9. My dad didn't pay child support and nobody did shit for me. I got a scholarship to a specific college and couldn't even go because my mom moved in with a girl she met online and I didn't have anywhere else to live. Started working minimum wage and have to give her half of what I make.

You're very lucky to have what you have so stop complaining.
>>
>>16666303
It sounds like he's putting a lot of care into you, but your complaints aren't necessarily invalid. It sounds like he's doing his best. Try to be appreciative but you probably won't genuinely feel that until you've moved out. Your relationship will get a lot better when you do that.
>>
>>16666445
Lol you're the actual idiot for not taking out loans for living in college. What, minimum wage at your mom's sound like a more solid plan? Stop judging people when you clearly already fucked up. Projecting is sad.
>>
>>16666523
college is not worth private loans, I've heard nothing but bad, bad things about them
>>
>>16666303
The lament of a spoilt, boorish, entitled brat with no understanding of anything other than their selfish point of view.

Ask your dad for $20. Then buy a clue because it's obvious you haven't got one.

What is a father supposed to do? Provide a safe and stable environment, lead by example and provide support when needed by loving their child as they grow and mature.

There is no how to manual and no scoring system. If a child grows up with a sense of fairness and a proper sense of right from wrong, well that's about the best a parent can do because the rest is really up to the child.
>>
>>16666523
I wouldn't actually say anybody that's opting out of trusting banks with future money is any sort of less educated.
I think those college kids that gamble their livelyhoods with large, mostly unrepayable, loans are the ones that haven't even tried to understand common economical decisions.
>>
>>16666574
And instead you're just working for half of minimum wage because you're afraid that debt is not worth a chance at even a mediocre STEM job?
>>
>>16666592
Because a degree is too pricey for a lottery ticket.
>>
>>16666303
Not sure what your dad is like. What did he do that was honestly bad? Men deal with a lot of shit for their children, and sometimes, they raise you the best they can. You should take some time, and actually talk to your dad, about who he was as a young man, how he got his successes. My dad was an abusive drunk, and I still loved him in the end.

When you grow up. This fact will probably dawn on you. Men give up their dreams to support their family, and your dad did the same thing. Anyway, best of luck to you.
>>
>>16666602
Right. So projecting negativity to an ambitious kid out of high school is clearly putting a wage slave as a wise figure to listen to.

College isn't a lottery. It's just filled with graduates who are loudly bitter about their lack of responsibility for their *chosen* degree's prospects. Nothing is anyone's responsibility, because it's all blind luck, right?
>>
>>16666651
College, If done right is very useful. I would almost argue the degree itself doesn't matter too much. (unless it is technical) what matters more is networking, and getting through it.
>>
>>16666651
Nobody said anything less than real. Our job market is over saturated. You know those 'These are the top fields in job growth' power points they show to kids in highschool? They're typically outdated and or not future projections but current year projections that would make any highschooler gearing for those degrees possibly in an over saturated job market in 4+ years.
>>
>>16666750

what's over saturated? literally, america has difficulty filling the jobs in their technical fields. If you want a job, you can get a job in our market.
>>
>>16666773
You can count the underemployed as a failure to apply their degree to better their lives.
>>
>>16666773
Do not listen to the dog fucker.
>>
>>16666303
From what you've said, it seems he isn't a bad father: he cares about you, provides for you and wants you to be happy. You don't really have any right to complain. You should apologize to your father.

That said, there may be some areas he is lacking in - spending time with you and building an emotional connection with you. Sometimes this just doesn't happen. Depends on his own upbringing and father desu.

tldr: apologize to your dad
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.