[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
looking for a good computer under $600
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 094.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
094.jpg
2 MB, 3648x2736
I essentially need a laptop for the following: CS Go/ steam games, school/excel and word mostly, record music on audacity, and runs fast enough. I know nothing about computers tho. Im looking for links to the best value laptop in my price range. I would greatly appreciate links or any suggestions possible. Thanks
>>
"steam games" can range from Cave Story to Witcher 3
>>
>>16652468
thanks for the reply. cs go and farcry3 are the 2 games i mostly play. Any suggestions?
>>
>>16652436

i bought my PC for about 600 bucks and i had no problem running any steam games, or even emulating ps2 or nintendo wii games.

every modern computer can do all that wiht the exception of possibly some really complex games. also 'runs fast enough' isnt a real thing. like no computer store or website will list 'runs fast enough' under their specs. al commputers run fast when you first get them. they slow down as you bog em down. if you know how fast you want it to run (re: ram) that helps but it can add some extra dough.
>>
>>16652500
lol yeah true. I was thinking about 6 RAM (ram is easy to upgrade though) I'm just basically looking for the best all around laptop for under $600. I just don't want to get one and find out later that one has better specs/ in my price range.
>>
I would keep saving until you have around 1200 dollars. It'll be worth it. If you don't have peripherals I would save even more.

Basically a 600 dollar PC means you'll be skimping in some department. Or prepping for future upgrades.
>>
>>16652436

>laptop
>gaming
>$600

No.
>>
>>16652516
>>16652511

this. laptops arent very good for gaming no matter what way you look at it. i remember they gave us macbook pros for video editing at my school and they were the fucking worst. between the mouse sucking and it not being able to keep up with heavy edits it was a nightmare.

i doubt i could render any ps2 games on that sorta thing. there is a reason mobile systems are far cheaper in quality compared to their home-system counterparts.
>>
>>16652516
>>16652516
I don't really consider myself a gamer. I play CS GO with friends and farcry, batman city from time to time, Mostly looking for a good computer that will be serviceable for 3-7 years. I can't really save cause I have bills bogging me down :(
>>
>>16652511
Consider getting a desktop. Search Newegg, run your price ranges and compare specs. On a budget, you can't know what the "best" computer is. It's easy to just look at 10 or so in your range and decide what you're willing to put less importance into.

If you still plqn on going for a laptop, newegg is probably still where I'd look.
>>
piggybacking on OP here.
is a laptop a solid option for music/movie downloads? id also like to be able to play simple games like undertale and underrail
>>
>>16652547

>movies and music

yes. there is no modern computer that cannot download music and movies. this isnt really a specs issue, its more of an itnernet one. if you have bad internet it takes forever. the best thing you can do is hook up with ethernet. i got 60mbps right to my PC and its fucking amazing. i download multiple seasons of TV shows in under an hour.
>>
>>16652532
No offense, but if you have bills bogging you down how do you randomly have 600$? A 600 dollar labtop is going to be basically junk, you might aswell take the extra effort to get the better product.

If you're willing to settle for a desktop 600 dollars is a 'eh' price point. It basically means you'll get all the parts, but they'll be pretty low end albeit easy to replace because of modularity.

For good pc that are desktops, you can check out all sorts of user made builds on pcpartpicker. For example, https://pcpartpicker.com/b/CVNNnQ .

That's just a random build I looked up in your price range. You can probably even knock 60 bucks off that price if you can get windows through your uni.

If you really want a labtop then good luck to you sir. Price-performance is NOT a feature for labtops. Cheap labtops will be shit.
>>
you'll spend $1200 on a laptop that can handle high end games today that won't be able to handle high end games in about 4 years. my asus ROG g75 has actually held up quite well, bought it 5 years ago and it still runs witcher 3 and fallout 4 on meh settings.

you'll run into the same issue with PC unless you spend $800+. the only difference being you can upgrade a PC, you're fucked with a laptop.
>>
>>16652516
>what is Ali3nware
>>
>>16652436
i normally don't bother with this type of thread but ill throw you this bone

use this Intel Core i3-6320 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor
cs:go only uses 2 cores so you want those to be the best they can be, best cpu value for cs:go by far
>>
>>16652690
thanks. this is essentially the advice I'm looking for. I'm not a heavy gamer at all. I consider this really light gaming. I have a PS4 for games. I really need a laptop for school, work and web surfing.
>>
>>16652436
Thinkpad T530 or T420
usually found in ebay for <$370 T530 and <$250 T420

Ask /g/ about it and they will tell you how good thinkpads are
>>
would it be wiser to get a desktop in my price range? I'll just sacrifice the on the go aspect that a laptop offers if a better value
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.