[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moving Out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 1451648278286.jpg (2 MB, 2700x3600) Image search: [Google]
1451648278286.jpg
2 MB, 2700x3600
I just turned 18, and it's time to set up camp elsewhere. What the hell is a studio? Efficiency apartments? Should I live in the middle of town or stay outside? Where is usually cheapest? I have so many questions, just toss advice at me. I saw the 18 y/o advice thread but this is more specifically- Housing for 18 year olds. In's and outs. Give me advice pls
>>
Studio is generally an apartment with no rooms, depends. Also referred to as a "bachelor suite". Studios can sometimes be more expensive, depending, if it's the 'stylish' version or not.

Stay outside would be cheaper, but factor in transportation costs. If you get roommates, don't make them friends, don't be on the lease and them off, don't let them borrow money, don't be responsible for anything legally.

Before you move in, check everything out, make sure all the taps work, point out and take note of every damage to the property before moving in (and make sure your landlord and you have documentation of those damages)

if you get roommates, don't keep anything of value around them, in the open, etc, if you want it not to get stolen/damaged/'misplaced' etc

check google for reviews about renting companies, especially with apartments, you'll often find complaints or news reports about pests/infestations.
>>
I'm 29 and still living with my parents and on good terms.

Just make sure you're moving out for the right reasons (financial stability, independence, family compatibility) and not some abstract bullshit like age.
>>
File: StHelenasLeafySepals8870.jpg (48 KB, 750x562) Image search: [Google]
StHelenasLeafySepals8870.jpg
48 KB, 750x562
Rent near a shopping area, ideally with a cheap supermarket and like a taco stand or other take out food place.
>>
Where do you live/want to live, OP?
>>
Live as far under your means as possible, without surrounding yourself with black people.

Call me racist, but that's what you're going to end up doing.
>>
>>16644949
Stay at home as long as you can and save money. Get a good job or education then think about moving out.

So called independence and freedom you get from moving out at 18 is overrated. I moved out when I was 17 and while it was liberating and fun. If I could honestly go back in time I would have stayed at home a few more years and saved money. Roommates suck. In 8 years I had 5 different roommates not including a girlfriend who lived me. I don't talk to any of them today. Some people get lucky but for the most part roommates suck. Half those roommates were really good friends prior to living together. I'm not ashamed to say I live with my mom at 29. I have way more money than most people my age and can actually enjoy it. I do plan on buying a house soon though.

Unless you make lots of money living on your own can be stressful when you're young. Which is a cause for strained relationships with roommates. Not to mention the quality of life that being poor brings sucks.
>>
>>16644977
So a studio doesn't generally have a bathroom? Or?
I really just want the essentials, besides wifi and a computer desk.
>>
>>16645017
Studios have bathrooms, maybe a shower only one.
>>
>>16644989
The last thing I want is to live downtown, but if I must. I must.
>>
File: hb_bracts_750.jpg (65 KB, 750x560) Image search: [Google]
hb_bracts_750.jpg
65 KB, 750x560
>>16645024
Don't be silly, crime is now equal between the big cities, small towns and rural areas, on a per capita basis.
>>
>>16645029
Not true at all,cities have way more crime
>>
>>16645023
Sounds perfect.

>>16645014
My parents and I both agreed this is a good decision. Not financially, but in the sense that I will be learning to live on my own right off the bat, and that is great knowledge. (Opinion). >>16644989
Ye, I can afford it and all, but I really do like my privacy. I won't be but 40 minutes away from their house. I wanna live in town so I can bike everywhere in the warmer seasons.
>>
File: Image39PF.jpg (62 KB, 500x743) Image search: [Google]
Image39PF.jpg
62 KB, 500x743
>>16645041
No, faggot, they don't. Per capita, learn what it means.
>>
>>16645029
I was not aware of that thanks 8)
>>
>>16645029
That's not true at all. While crime does exist in suburbs now on a more frequent basis than in the last 30 or so years. There's a thing called population density. Just throwing numbers out there for an example but for every 1,000 people there's X crime. You get the picture.

Not to mention the types of crimes that occur in major cities versus suburbs.
>>
>>16645029
Here's a source by the way. Now quit making shit up on the internet, faggot.

http://victimsofcrime.org/docs/default-source/ncvrw2015/2015ncvrw_stats_urbanrural.pdf?sfvrsn=2
>>
>>16645065
"The FBI reports metropolitan cities had a murder and non-negligent manslaughter rate known to law enforcement of 4.9 per 100,000 persons in 2012. Cities outside metropolitan areas had a murder and non-negligent manslaughter rate of 3.8 per 100,000 persons, while non-metropolitan counties had a rate of 3.3 per 100,000 persons.3
• The FBI reports the rate of forcible rape4 known to law enforcement within metropolitan areas was 26.4 per 100,000 persons, with no change compared to the 2011 rate. The rate of forcible rape in cities outside metropolitan areas was 41.2 per 100,000. Non- metropolitan counties had a rate of 21.4 per 100,000 persons."

>Strange, the suburbs appear to have twice the rate of rapes as the inner cities. But murder is a bit higher in the inner cities. Perhaps these statistics are a joke.
>>
>>16645134
Just admit you're wrong asshat.

When it says cities outside the metropolitan area that practically means the city. It's a stones throw away. It's common knowledge that crime moves outwards from cities. So it only makes sense for that number to be equal or higher. In this case higher of course for that particular crime. Non-metro areas would be the suburbs you obtuse fuck.

I'm not going to argue with you over this any more because it's pointless considering how ignorant and stupid you are. Keep nitpicking and refuting facts to try and prove your incorrect statements moron.
>>
>>16645024
>The last thing I want is to live downtown

Downtown in a big city is very expensive--you won't be able to afford it.
>>
>>16645029
>Don't be silly, crime is now equal between the big cities, small towns and rural areas, on a per capita basis.

You're the one being silly.
You can't just make a blanket statement like that and expect people to take it as gospel.
You have to look at each city , suburb or rural area on a case-by-case basis.
>>
>>16645177
I think it's cheaper. I would live above a store. This city is fairly small. You could drive through in like 20 mins. I see a few in downtow. 1 bed 1 bath. Lower tier ones for like 400 a month.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.